'How did things end up like this?' America's newly unemployed grapple with coronavirus fallout

webfact

Posts in violation of fair use policy as well as posts containing unattributed content have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not arguing the logic is valid, just saying what I think it is.

Not sure i can agree the rationale is electoral, there are more poor people than rich, and they have votes. Although I suppose in America voter turnout is another factor.

Well, there are a lot more employed workers than unemployed. And it's those unemployed workers who the money should be going to. As well as those in poverty. In the UK  laid off workers will be getting 80% of their pay. Of course, Boris Johnson isn't running for reelection in November.

First for reasons of human decency and second because it will provide a bigger boost to the economy.

Edited by bristolboy

1 minute ago, Tug said:

you really need to stop the hate stuff

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

I guess imitation is the sincerest part of flattery.

I leave the membership to decide who the haters are, although the vast bulk of them avoid this part of the Forum.

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

I guess imitation is the sincerest part of flattery.

I leave the membership to decide who the haters are, although the vast bulk of them avoid this part of the Forum.

Sigh........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Well, there are a lot more employed workers than unemployed. And it's those unemployed workers who the money should be going to. As well as those in poverty. In the UK  laid off workers will be getting 80% of their pay. Of course, Boris Johnson isn't running for reelection in November.

First for reasons of human decency and second because it will provide a bigger boost to the economy.

Basically this is a hyper accelerated dry run of what the economy would look like in 10-15 years anyway, when 15%-40% of all jobs disappear due to automation. It would be better to establish a UBI now before the fact rather than to wait too long till when problems have already arisen. Untold misery and deprivation could be alleviated. I'm not advocating for that this minute but when the economy gets even somewhat back on it's feet a VAT that funds a UBI should be implemented. Exempting of course, food and other basic human necessities.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, englishoak said:

In short ? Chinas lies.

Yes, but I think everyone sort of knows that's their modus operandi. It was the assurances given by our own leaders, both political and in the business world that suckered us into swallowing something which we knew probably wasn't good for us. It was good for them though.

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

In short ? Chinas lies.

One of the contributing factors. e.g. It's now come light that US intelligence agencies warned trump  of the virus impact within China and spread to other countries in January and February, which he dismissed.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/politics/us-intelligence-reports-trump-coronavirus/index.html

• Like 2

Just now, simple1 said:

One of the contributing factors. e.g. It's now come light that US intelligence agencies warned trump  of the virus impact within China and spread to other countries in January and February, which he dismissed.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/politics/us-intelligence-reports-trump-coronavirus/index.html

You mean that there are allegations in the anti Trump press based on anonymous "intelligence" sources. Yep. Im convinced. its not Chinas fault, its Trumps.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I seem to be happier than most old folk near my age.

Maybe I'm OK with death because I've done way more in life.

@Lacessit dude, seriously, the BritMan comes off in person as one totally happy and content dude. Life is great!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

You mean that there are allegations in the anti Trump press based on anonymous "intelligence" sources. Yep. Im convinced. its not Chinas fault, its Trumps.

Did it ever occur to you that it's possible for it to be both their fault? And it was very early on that it was clear China was lying about the disease. 

• Haha 1

The gig economy is great until things go wrong. Usually you get paid over and above what regular workers get. They lose money for security and a pension, you gain money for taking a chance. Tough sh#t if it goes wrong. I knew guys who were funding their travels in the 2000s through working the gig economy in local government in the UK. I've been in both environments, mostly, I'd say, a talented guy or gal, is gonna get offered a permanent job. After that, it's up to you. You have to make a decision, what is worth more, getting staiď in one job, with a guaranteed income and pension, or continuing your adventure. Being 70, in some foreign country, ill, sick, and with no means of support is no joke. And the chances are you will get ill, you will get sick. Dying on the job is a bit of a myth. 

15 minutes ago, nausea said:

The gig economy is great until things go wrong. Usually you get paid over and above what regular workers get. They lose money for security and a pension, you gain money for taking a chance. Tough sh#t if it goes wrong. I knew guys who were funding their travels in the 2000s through working the gig economy in local government in the UK. I've been in both environments, mostly, I'd say, a talented guy or gal, is gonna get offered a permanent job. After that, it's up to you. You have to make a decision, what is worth more, getting staiď in one job, with a guaranteed income and pension, or continuing your adventure. Being 70, in some foreign country, ill, sick, and with no means of support is no joke. And the chances are you will get ill, you will get sick. Dying on the job is a bit of a myth. 

Except for the huge fact of the zero hour thing.

30 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Except for the huge fact of the zero hour thing.

No zero hours in the 2000s, we were sought after. I would imagine the same thing is happening now, for those with the right skills. I'd go back home to help out, but life is too easy here, and my SO and dogs need me.

Edited by nausea

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Off topic, I am savoring the irony of politicians who have been pooh-poohing the consensus from scientists on climate change now screaming at the same profession to hurry up with a vaccine.

OK Boss, well let me know when you can Catscan and genetically sequence the climate and then we could perhaps even think of giving credit to that analogy. At least with The Chinese Flu you can blame something else other than the air or the last hysterical fit you threw when you triple bogeyed a par 3 in front of an audience for keeping you off the links.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

OK Boss, well let me know when you can Catscan and genetically sequence the climate and then we could perhaps even think of giving credit to that analogy. At least with The Chinese Flu you can blame something else other than the air or the last hysterical fit you threw when you triple bogeyed a par 3 in front of an audience for keeping you off the links.

Lose my rag on the golf course? Moi? Although one of my now deceased golfing friends did state I had the personality of a taipan when there.

You're calling it the Chinese flu, bad boy. How do you know I didn't introduce it there at the behest of the CIA? After all, Trump is trying to win a trade war.

If you don't think man is changing the climate, come up to Chiang Rai and breathe some air. Sorry, I forgot - we can't move due to coronavirus fallout - anywhere.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How do you know I didn't introduce it there at the behest of the CIA?

I see like so many others, you have fallen for Chinese disinformation. Bet you read and beleive the Steele dossier and  Area 51 videos too, or that rock you got out there in Oz, Ayres rock? Is that where aliens come from?.

America will be just fine. Buckle up and ride it out. Wont be food riots or none of that, its all gonna be cool so dont you worry. And you are doing well I assume? I just suffered and cleaned 2 kilos of shrimp. Even deveined the suckers.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:16 AM, zydeco said:

Because of debt. The virus only popped the debt bubble. For 11 years the American economy thrived on cheap money, QE, corporate debt, and consumer debt. Nobody saved. Why? Because the Fed destroyed people's savings with low interest rates. Everytime there was a hiccup in the economy, the Fed and the government lowered rates, printed more money, and told people to go out and "Buy!" So they did. And put it all on their credit cards at 20 percent interest rates. And corporations did the same. Took out loans and used the money to buy back their own shares to artificially inflate their stock price and get bigger executive bonuses. No investment in R&D. No new products. Otherwise, Boeing, for example, would have designed a new passenger jet from scratch, instead of going the cheap route and reworking the 737 into that Frankenstein's monster, the 737 MAX. The economy became financialized. And built on debt. $23.5 trillion in US debt, and Trump and Congress have just tacked on around another $8 trillion in the past four days. The rest of the world did the same thing. Over $250 trillion in global debt. Sorry, Abigail, the US government, the global bureaucrats, the bankers, and the CEOs just consider you roadkill on the way to lining their pockets.

And we pumped up China with trillions of dollars and expertise and even MAGA hats where made there. Looks like the party's over and the world is just getting the bill. Chinese civilization has lasted 3000 years the US more like 300. Do the math. Thailand will get help and go into the China camp lock stock and smoking barrel. 

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1