Wuhan Covid Virus - no need to be scared - yet

AussieBob18

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

No, actually, seasonal flu is not 'totally different' from Covid19, the symptoms are almost identical. Scientists are using previous flu pandemics to model the numbers. They are using the genomic data of the coronavirus in the same databases used to develop influenza vaccines:

"The two full sequences of the virus isolated in two of the first French cases were submitted to the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID) platform, which was initially developed to share sequences and monitor the genetic evolution of influenza viruses, a process that is vital to determine the composition of the influenza vaccine. A special "coronavirus" tab has been created so that the scientific community can work together and advance at a quicker pace."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200131114748.htm

They are using the genomic data of the coronavirus in the same databases used to develop influenza vaccines:

Poor reporting, this has nothing to do with anything. It's like keeping your illegal movies and your personal financial records on the same hard drive. No relation. A corona virus is a different beast from influenza virus.

To date there is no corona-virus vaccine.  There has also never been a coronavirus pandemic. SARS was stopped.    Of course, they can use any infectious disease to model spreading and flu is handy, especially the 1918 Spanish flu.

But I agree that panic is not preparedness.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:
13 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Isaac Newton was the greatest scientist who ever lived - but 200 years later he was proven not to be correct in some matters by Einstein - no expert is ever correct 100% of the time - and neither are you or I.  

I will put this sentence on an engraved plaque on my desk. Very, very important to realise this.

and have 'this' playing on loop, on the desktop PC

- from the next highest greatest stcientist

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

What you do (often) is insult the person and then attack their views on TV.  Please show me where I said that I am smarter.  You cant because I did not.  I said I am skeptical and I gave the reasons why I am.

The teenage girl is the climate 'expert' from Sweden that everyone pro-climate change is saying is correct - after saying others are incorrect because they are not educated climate scientists. Can you see the irony of that, if not the hypocrisy?  I did not mean you said that (apology if it came out that way), I used her as an example of the people who argue others are wrong because scientists say this/that and therefore are you are not a scientist and so you are wrong - but the teenage girl is right. 

I always fixed my own motorcycle - and I did a much better job than any mechanic who attended a course but who is a dumb as a brick and doesn't care about my bike.  But if you want to use/trust a mechanic or know one that is, then you go right ahead.

All good - but I still think you should take a less 'argumentative confronting' manner when disagreeing with someone.

Isaac Newton was the greatest scientist who ever lived - but 200 years later he was proven not to be correct in some matters by Einstein - no expert is ever correct 100% of the time - and neither are you or I.  

I guess if we exchange a couple of more messages we agree more and more.

I guess I read and heard too many people who think they are smarter than all the experts. So now when I read about someone who questions again what experts say then I get this "not again please" feeling. Sorry that I put your concerns in the same basket like the deniers.

About Greta Thunberg, the teenage girl: I read and heard some of what she said but I don't follow all the details. As far as I know she quotes the experts often enough. She does not pretend she is smarter than the experts, she listens to them. And what she does different than many others that she tells the world loud and clear that there is a problem. And she tells the world they should listen to experts and not the industry lobbyists and not many politicians. I think she is often right and does a pretty good job with waking up the world.

And about the bike mechanic: I had one who was specialized for years in only one bike, the VFR400. And it seemed like he knew everything about that bike. And yes, not all mechanics are experts. ???? 

11 minutes ago, rabas said:

They are using the genomic data of the coronavirus in the same databases used to develop influenza vaccines:

Poor reporting, this has nothing to do with anything. It's like keeping your illegal movies and your personal financial records on the same hard drive. No relation. A corona virus is a different beast from influenza virus.

To date there is no corona-virus vaccine.  There has also never been a coronavirus pandemic. SARS was stopped.    Of course, they can use any infectious disease to model spreading and flu is handy, especially the 1918 Spanish flu.

But I agree that panic is not preparedness.

A corona virus is not really a different beast from the influenza virus altogether. Both viruses lead to respiratory diseases. Both have near identical symptoms. Coronavirus is basically the Bat version of the flu. A new kind of flu (without having the exact same genome as the flu) for humans, with near identical symptoms to the flu.

You are right in that the influenza viruses are not identical in genome terms to the coronavirus. But then even within the coronavirus family the various virus forms differ. The key is that when scientists share the genome of the coronavirus on the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID) platform this is not the same as sharing your illegal movies  and financial records on the same hard drive. The reason is that the procedure for finding an influenza virus vaccine and finding a coronavirus vaccine is the same. These viruses have the same symptoms, they are both respiratory disease viruses.

Edited by Logosone

13 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I will put this sentence on an engraved plaque on my desk. Very, very important to realise this.

Which Newton's theory was incorrect and proven by Einstein? 

Classical mechanics by Newton is the foundation of Einstein's Relativity. 

The previous quotation is so false that you don't have to engrave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob18 said:

Good thoughts - good points.  And you are not paranoid - 'they' are going to take advantage.  Got a bit up the 'food chain' in my day and dealt with a few very wealthy people way above my station.  Being observant I learned something from them - they are always well informed (very very well informed) and they always take advantage of any given situation they can. They will use whatever influence they have to enhance any given situation to their favour.  I am not talking about the uber rich royal type families/companies - I am talking about those that make serious wealth.  They saw this coming and prepared - and they are are getting ready for the 'turn'.  I also learned that money and wealth is relative - for them to get some, others have to lose some.  Relativity = getting $1 from a million people is a hell of a lot easier than getting $1 million from 1 person. So yes - they are out to get advantage from me and you - and they always will be - and they always will.  We are all Jack.

Getting it at an old age will not be good - not as bad as WHO is saying - but not good.  Diamond Princess was full of older people - many got sick - but only 7 died.  But we have zero immunities from this virus and unlike the young, we cannot easily and quickly respond to this virus and develop new ones easily.  Take care and precautions - but dont panic - like that book in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe - whatever you do, dont panic.

Oi oi oi

Image result for live long and prosper gif

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Retarded said:

Which Newton's theory was incorrect and proven by Einstein? 

Classical mechanics by Newton is the foundation of Einstein's Relativity. 

The previous quotation is so false that you don't have to engrave. 

You're wrong. 

Einstein showed Newton was wrong about gravity.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/einstein-showed-newton-was-wrong-about-gravity-now-scientists-are-ncna1038671

Then Einstein was proven wrong.

Experts are wrong all the time.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess if we exchange a couple of more messages we agree more and more.

I guess I read and heard too many people who think they are smarter than all the experts. So now when I read about someone who questions again what experts say then I get this "not again please" feeling. Sorry that I put your concerns in the same basket like the deniers.

About Greta Thunberg, the teenage girl: I read and heard some of what she said but I don't follow all the details. As far as I know she quotes the experts often enough. She does not pretend she is smarter than the experts, she listens to them. And what she does different than many others that she tells the world loud and clear that there is a problem. And she tells the world they should listen to experts and not the industry lobbyists and not many politicians. I think she is often right and does a pretty good job with waking up the world.

And about the bike mechanic: I had one who was specialized for years in only one bike, the VFR400. And it seemed like he knew everything about that bike. And yes, not all mechanics are experts. ???? 

Yep - now we are in what they call 'violent agreement'.

Call me a skeptic, but I always am skeptical when the details dont add up to me.

Had a VFR800 myself - great bike and so easy to ride fast - did a few track days on that one.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I have been shot down in flames so many times when I have stated that!

But, I didn't give a dam as knew I was right ???? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of my 75 year old friend. When he goes out and the girls ask him how old he is he tells them: Over 50. ???? 

You reach a point in life when it is more "accommodating" to tell them your birth year, rather than age, I'm only 55 :whistling:

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Had a VFR800 myself - great bike and so easy to ride fast - did a few track days on that one.  

Great bike, It was the first bike I owned that was a better bike than I was a rider! bought one in ~87 after watching Ron Haslam come third at Donnington on a bog standard edition ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

What is for sure, like with every pandemic, is that it will be over and life will return to being better than ever before. Except for those who died obviously.

I have a different opinion on this. Politicians will always make the most of a crisis to further their ends. The enormous (unprecedented outside of wartime) changes to everyday society - restrictions of freedom being the byword - that we are witnessing around the world and the practical exercise of power that governments are now 'enjoying' are unlikely to be given up entirely once the panic has subsided.

I fully expect that certain aspects of authoritarian control will be enhanced while the general public are more amenable to them.

Mandatory vaccination is one obvious likely outcome.

A big push to a cashless society (Europe taking the lead) a less obvious one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CGW said:

Great bike, It was the first bike I owned that was a better bike than I was a rider! bought one in ~87 after watching Ron Haslam come third at Donnington on a bog standard edition ????

I remember Ron Haslam well - but I must be younger than you.  Bought a S1000RR and traded it is less than 6 months later on something less 'severe'.  It was too much for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I have a different opinion on this. Politicians will always make the most of a crisis to further their ends. The enormous (unprecedented outside of wartime) changes to everyday society - restrictions of freedom being the byword - that we are witnessing around the world and the practical exercise of power that governments are now 'enjoying' are unlikely to be given up entirely once the panic has subsided.

I fully expect that certain aspects of authoritarian control will be enhanced while the general public are more amenable to them.

Mandatory vaccination is one obvious likely outcome.

Hope you are not right, but I think you are right in that some things will not go back.  I reckon international travel will be further restricted - maybe even need a medical test.  Right now I cant fly with a nail clipper becausae I might hurt someone on the plane - but I can take onboard and share a rare new virus I picked up in deepest darkest China/Africa - surely that will change. 

3 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Cashless society has been planned for at least five years, RB Australia was doing information sessions and modelling on it at least 5 years ago, phasin out of cheque books being the first part, it will be phased in over time.

Off topic but>>

I agree there may well be more restriction on population movements for a longer period of time, a greater return to "nationalism", and restrictions which will become accepted as "everyday life" something the "flower children" of the 70s could not imagine.

56 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You're wrong. 

Einstein showed Newton was wrong about gravity.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/einstein-showed-newton-was-wrong-about-gravity-now-scientists-are-ncna1038671

Then Einstein was proven wrong.

For (almost) anything on earth Newton's laws are still perfectly ok.

As far as I know GPS accuracy is one of the very few "things" on earth were Einstein's theories are necessary for calculations and understanding. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Cashless society has been planned for at least five years, RB Australia was doing information sessions and modelling on it at least 5 years ago, phasin out of cheque books being the first part, it will be phased in over time.

Add at least thirty years to that five, off course "government" want a cashless society, more to tax, more control. All fine and Dandy! if you have trust in "government" to do the right thing, given my experiences over a lifetime they don't and won't!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

In some countries they react earlier, in some countries slower.

No doubt it makes you feel better having someone to blame on your current situation, won't make any difference though! ???? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

No doubt it makes you feel better having someone to blame on your current situation, won't make any difference though! ???? 

My currents situation hasn´t changed. That´s a US problem and they have to deal with it. But it´s interesting to see how the US president and his favorite media were wrong over a so long time. 
That Trump blamed the Democrats before is not interesting for you I guess.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Off topic but>>

I agree there may well be more restriction on population movements for a longer period of time, a greater return to "nationalism", and restrictions which will become accepted as "everyday life" something the "flower children" of the 70s could not imagine.

I agree - things are going to change with regards to unrestricted travelling between countries.  When the market picks back up dont buy airline or travel related stock.

6 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

That Trump blamed the Democrats before is not interesting for you I guess.

Not in the slightest! though I'm sure the usual "cry baby's" will support your view ???? 

The blame game never solved a lot, especially when you are biased.............

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For (almost) anything on earth Newton's laws are still perfectly ok.

As far as I know GPS accuracy is one of the very few "things" on earth were Einstein's theories are necessary for calculations and understanding. 

The first GPS systems launched had a dual mode switch for Einstein or Newton physics because they were not sure. They trusted no one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1