Over a million in tourism industry could lose jobs if Covid-19 crisis continues

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, ivor bigun said:

I am amazed ,i did not realize so many experts there were on Thai Visa.

you all know so much.

And I'm amazed to see the amount of whiners there were on Thai Visa.

Professional complainers. I guess that pays the bills as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liverpool Fan ,,, that is about the kind of comment I should have expected from a Livepool fan.

In Liverpool they are demanding that they keep the Pubs open as well, to no avail of course.

Disgusting comment in a time we all should be "pulling together

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Only one million or so out of work, which will be into next year at least.  Come next Christmas when things might be slowly getting normalised, people have got and spent the governments handouts,  used up their savings,  got back to work and are desperately trying to  pay the mortgage and put food on the table....I am pretty sure their not going to be thinking about a holiday! So it's more than likely a big up swing in tourist numbers is 2 years or more away.  That US$220 billion Prayut is sitting on had better be put to good use ASAP. 

I saw online somewhere, that having a COVID-19 infection does not confer immunity to re-infection. If this is true (and I don't know if it is or not), then this year is not going to be the end of it in any way. If correct, then next year is not going to be better than this year beyond people adapting to social distancing...

Edited by ParkerN

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Here we see the big difference between developing countries like Thaiand and developed countries.

Many Western countries are breaking their budgets to compensate people who are laid off work, whether permanent or temporary, as a result of COVID-19 restrictions. Here most of those who will be sent home will receive not a single baht from the Government, whose generosity so far has extended to give a 3% discount on electricity and water bills. It's surely time to dig into the reserves and help Thai citizens.

And the situation has now been exacerbated with the closure of shopping malls and markets in Bangkok. How are market traders going to make any sort of living and will stores continue to pay their stay-at-home staff? Come on Prayut, you need to help them....and that doesn't mean giving them a 1,000 baht shopping voucher!

Think about those to whom this government is beholden. There will be no real effort to relieve those affected. They will be expected to "go home to their farms".

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Carefully managed it could turn out to be a good move.

This virus has come at the wrong time for the mango industry in Thailand. At the end of this month millions of mangoes would be for sale in the markets. It is devastating for the farmers, the wholesalers and the small stall fruit outlets. Thais will eat packet food for the next two months, and forgo their vitamin C mango top up, thus lessening their resistance to the dreaded virus.

Edited by owl sees all

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Only 1 million...who they kidding....and it's not only hospitality....all that condo construction will stop adding millions more with labour and supply chains...but hey, Thailand apparently is gonna be the only country in the world to let the Chinese back in April

"Spitting" as they come!

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

Here we see the big difference between developing countries like Thaiand and developed countries.

Many Western countries are breaking their budgets to compensate people who are laid off work, whether permanent or temporary, as a result of COVID-19 restrictions. Here most of those who will be sent home will receive not a single baht from the Government, whose generosity so far has extended to give a 3% discount on electricity and water bills. It's surely time to dig into the reserves and help Thai citizens.

Thailand has a better economical plan , for those in high places , they will survive .

Same same , Chinese culture ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

This virus has come at the wrong time for the mango industry in Thailand. At the end of this month millions of mangoes would be for sale in the markets. It is devastating for the farmers, the wholesalers and the small stall fruit outlets. Thais will eat packet food for the next two months, and forgo their vitamin C mango top up, thus lessening their resistance to the dreaded virus.

Why won't the mangoes make it to market, local markets are still open, they can't close them!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Hmmmm, doesn't seem long since we were hearing how unimportant tourism was to the Thai economy.  

Yes, often stated on TVF when folks were not feeling the love they figured they deserved, don't believe anyone in "Government" ever said that though? - happy to be proven wrong...

• Like 1

1. I think the number of one million is totally wrong. 

There are also job, which are not directly but secondary connected

with the tourism industry.

I would estimate a number of around 6 - 8 million people depending 

on tourist industry etc.

2. As a matter of fact, Thailand and their citizen cheated and ripped off

foreigners with their dual pricing for quiet a long time, so they reallydeserve a time out from tourism to consider about their bad habits.

3. It is very easy, as France has shown how to help the people unbureaucratic. They just do not need to pay electricity and water bill.

Wow, what a nice idea. ...... but in Thailand impossible. 

10 minutes ago, CGW said:

Why won't the mangoes make it to market, local markets are still open, they can't close them!

If Cha Cha takes decisive measures; anything can happen. The wife has read on her Thai Social Media that gatherings with more than 5 people will be made illegal again; like it was a couple of years back, under the same regime. Anything is possible in LOS. Street sellers will be arrested.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

If Cha Cha takes decisive measures; anything can happen. The wife has read on her Thai Social Media that gatherings with more than 5 people will be made illegal again; like it was a couple of years back, under the same regime. Anything is possible in LOS. Street sellers will be arrested.

They never closed markets down, people live day to day outside the cities where the majority are going to be, little point hanging around in the city when they have no work! there not going to intentionally starve people, surely you don't think they would go that far, hungry people will do horrible things!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

1. I think the number of one million is totally wrong. 

There are also job, which are not directly but secondary connected

with the tourism industry.

I would estimate a number of around 6 - 8 million people depending 

on tourist industry etc.

I would agree, the numbers are ridiculous, this is going to go on for a long time! the total workforce in Thailand is ~38,000,000, I think conservatively based on a wild guess!! 18,000,000 are going to be out of work/or have the ability to earn money, then you will have the knock on effect, charities will get no funding, families will get no funds sent to them, doesn't bear thinking about. Crime will rise, divorces will go through the roof, suicides will increase substantially - not a pretty picture.

• Like 2