Coronavirus – seven steps to prevent the spread of the virus

41 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

Shock horror, no mention of the ubiquitous face mask.

To what extent does a breathable face mask protect the user from an airborne virus?

Minimal protection

11 hours ago, Snackbar said:

To what extent does a breathable face mask protect the user from an airborne virus?

My nephew who is a pathologist says that face masks are almost of no benefit and protecting you from getting the virus. Avoiding close contact and touching people and things are much more important along with constant repeated hand washing and sanitizing. And not touching your face if you have touched something else that other people away from your home may have touched. He says if you are wearing a face mask you should not be out. However I have to pick up people from the airport over the next 2 days from Thailand and I will wait for them outside the terminal building and I will wear a face mask. I will then sanitise their hands and offer them a new face mask before I let them in the car. And of course I will sanitise the suitcase handles.

55 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

My nephew who is a pathologist says that face masks are almost of no benefit and protecting you from getting the virus. Avoiding close contact and touching people and things are much more important along with constant repeated hand washing and sanitizing. And not touching your face if you have touched something else that other people away from your home may have touched. He says if you are wearing a face mask you should not be out. However I have to pick up people from the airport over the next 2 days from Thailand and I will wait for them outside the terminal building and I will wear a face mask. I will then sanitise their hands and offer them a new face mask before I let them in the car. And of course I will sanitise the suitcase handles.

The face mask is to protect other people from you. Virus spread is much more curtailed if some one with the virus is coughing and sneezing into the mask, instead of projecting virus up to two metres away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The face mask is to protect other people from you. Virus spread is much more curtailed if some one with the virus is coughing and sneezing into the mask, instead of projecting virus up to two metres away.

Thank you for intelligent response.  Also a face mask is regarded as a courtesy. By wearing a face mask if you absolutely have to go out public, you are showing consideration for others and not breathing in their face.  Anyone can be a carrier and not know it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Snackbar said:

its been said the corona virus is a large particle so a face mask has a chance of catching some particles. is it 100% effective ? not a chance! is it 50%? probably not.... but if its at  least 10% it helps. IE some protection is better than no protection

Edited by speckio
rewording
  • Haha 1