Smokers and Covid-19: Regular cigarette and e-cigarette users face 5,000 fine for lighting up in public

rooster59

10 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Scientific reference please ?

The wife is getting to it right now, But post #17 says it all.

41 minutes ago, Youlike said:

In Europe they scapegoat the virus for dirty air, air with much pollution (like in the italian mountains, serious!) contributes to the spread of the virus...i read it in the newspaper.

Youlike probably meant a 'medical paper', not any old newspaper.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

I"m searching, randomly :

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-lives-for-hours-in-air-particles-and-days-on-surfaces-new-us-study-shows.html

No mention of smoke.

Can not find much.

Anyway non-sense with fire pollution in north, diesel pollution everywhere, and Thaïs still burn trash regularely !

But of course, target the smokers... So easy-lazy.

I've not even looked for it on the internet Sambotte. Good you have.

Mrs Owl read it on one of her (Thai) media platforms and told me about it. She is in the shower right now; so no link tonight I fear.

The way I see it is this: If a virus is carried out into the big wide world - eg by a sneeze - it will fall to the ground quite quickly unless it attaches itself to something that gets more easily carried in the breeze. It (the virus) will die eventually, but might stay alive longer on a smoke particle.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

If you are a farang and a smoker you are screwed.

Never mind that the virus was brought about by Chinese people eating stuff they shouldn't be eating. AGAIN. 

Do these muppets actually believe the stuff they come out with or is it just a scatter-gun approach? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

This is what happens when a bunch of thick, sociopathic gangsters run things from a governmental to village level in a country with one of the poorest education systems on the planet. 

Enjoy the show. There's nothing else like it on Earth. 

So you are a smoker then ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If you are a farang and a smoker you are screwed.

Never mind that the virus was brought about by Chinese people eating stuff they shouldn't be eating. AGAIN. 

Do these muppets actually believe the stuff they come out with or is it just a scatter-gun approach? 

It's not a case of what brought the Covid 19 to the forefront whether it started with eating bats, rats or cats, it's all about how you can survive this terrible virus. The healthier the body the more chance of survival and by smoking you are lowering that chance of survival.

So who are the muppets?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Could it actually be that Propylene Glycol Aerosol one of the main ingredients in E-Cigarettes actually eliminates the Virus

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.3181/00379727-48-13383

00379727-48-13383_fp.thumb.png.38f491b2add37a39a0a7fa887402c5dd.png

THE BACTERICIDAL ACTION OF PROPYLENE GLYCOL VAPOR ON MICROORGANISMS SUSPENDED IN AIR. I
"It has been found that propylene glycol vapor dispersed into the air of an enclosed space produces a marked and rapid bactericidal effect on microorganisms introduced into such an atmosphere in droplet form. Concentrations of 1 gm. of propylene glycol vapor in two to four million cc. of air produced immediate and complete sterilization of air into which pneumococci, streptococci, staphylococci, H. influenzae, and other microorganisms as well as influenza virus had been sprayed."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2135271/

Harris TH, Stokes Jr. J. The effect of propylene glycol vapour on the incidence of respiratory infections in a convalescent home for children: preliminary observations. Am J Med Sci 1942;204:430.

Harris TH, Stokes Jr. J. Air-borne cross infection in the case of the common cold: a further clinical study of the use of glycol vapours for air sterilization. Am J Med Sci 1943;200:631.

Robertson OH, Bigg E, Puck TT, Miller BF, Technical Assistance of Elizabeth A. Appell. The bactericidal action of propylene glycol vapor on microorganisms suspended in air. I. J Exp Med 1942;75:593 610.

Puck TT, Robertson OH, Lemon HM. The bactericidal action of propylene glycol vapor on microorganisms suspended in air: II. the influence of various factors on the activity of the vapor. J Exp Med 1943;78:387 406.

Sadly very little information here. The paper is hidden behind a paywall but I was able to get at it via SciHub. There is absolutely ZERO in the entire paper about its genuine effects on viruses.  It only talks about bacteria. The only mention in the entire paper about viruses is the following paragraph:

"Propylene glycol vapor was also found to exert a lethal or at least an inactivating effect on the virus of influenza. This was determined by tests in which the presence of the glycol vapor in concentration of 1:3,000,000 was shown to protect mice completely against infection with amounts of air-borne influenza virus that produced death regularly in the control animals (19)."

If you then look at footnote 19 it references "Robertson, O. H., Loosli, C. G., Puck, T. T., Bigg, E., and Miller, B. F., Science, 1941, 94, 612" which is apparently the only real paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17740060

I also obtained that paper, and on page 613 of Science published on Dec. 26, 1941, there is a description of the test they ran to make these statements. Unfortunately, it wasn't propylene glycol in the lungs that they tested, but creating an enclosed atmosphere where Propylene Glycol vapor was mixed uniformly throughout the entire chamber.  The mechanism by which it inhibited the virus was never investigated, but the authors suspected that virus particles hitting a glycol drop could swallow the virus and neutralize it in some way. Again, this was done *outside* the body in the air, and required a very high concentration of propylene glycol to have any effect.

Not saying there is no way this hypothesis could have some validity, but this paper certainly offers no support that there could be any benefit from it in vivo.   You would need to do a real, proper study before making any claims.

Edited by Monomial
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I wonder how China failed to pick up on this important detail, given the fact that in recent years they've produced and consumed 30% of the world's cigarettes. 

Important detail ?

The guy said, that's all until now.

ANY scientific back-up ?

33 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

Can i breathe 

Only if you have the TM66, witch depends on the TM00, not to mention the TM99, obviously.

You must prove you got a shower in the last 1h via a letter from the pope.

And well, if the cop is not too hungry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry, missed it indeed ???? 

My GF not here, i am weaning (if i got the right word) - for her smoking -, makes me not happy ???? Ho, no, withdrawal, hooo...

Edited by Sambotte
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sambotte said:

I did not pay yet. They will lose my 500.000 and many smokers if they go crazy.

What next ? No boum-boum ? Contagion. "For your safety".

Freedom is something i do not sell.

Well then nobody suffered any loss - you didn't buy the visa, so you have not been affected, nor has Thailand suffered any loss from your lack of buying an elite visa ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1