Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

27 minutes ago, finy said:

That doesn't make any sense.

From what I could tell from Google translate they're trying to change things because the amount of people visiting immingation has shot up from 1000 to 5000.

Eliminating overstay fines wouldn't fix that.

Yes, you a right they did mention this. They said they were taken by surprise by how many people visited immigration and they will attempt to provide a better service by opening temporary offices if required. Something like that anyway. 

I am doing my best guys, please dont moan at me. This document is confusing (wow, who would of thought it) but we are trying to translate it in the way it is meant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samisaurus said:

Good news starting to emerge, hopefully all is true.. fingers crossed guys! 

It's in their best interest to announce it all before we flood the immigration offices this coming week, 5k visitors a day lol 

what news 

5 minutes ago, UdonRoy said:

Yes, you a right they did mention this. They said they were taken by surprise by how many people visited immigration and they will attempt to provide a better service by opening temporary offices if required. Something like that anyway. 

I am doing my best guys, please dont moan at me. This document is confusing (wow, who would of thought it) but we are trying to translate it in the way it is meant. 

It might sound too good to be true.  They could say....for those who are overstayed...the 500/day FINES will not be charged. But we will require you to apply for the usual 30-day extension, and the application FEEES of 1900 will be charged.  See how the wording can be tricky?  That's why lawyers get paid a lot.

Edited by audaciousnomad

1 minute ago, UdonRoy said:

More offices for more people. This is exactly what we need now. Until they state that there is no need to visit their damned offices anymore - until then I doubt anything will really change. Just more bureaucracy, more requirements, more troubles.

2 hours ago, jacob29 said:

Well if only be had a crystal ball that they were going to actually make it *harder* (near impossible) to get an extension, while pretty much every other country is waiving requirements or making it easier. 

The next time we have a sniff of a pandemic, I suspect a great deal of people won't be coming anywhere near Thailand.

Well, yes, some absurd Immigration requirements, but lots of tourists really looked both ways before "crossing the street" to Thailand and decided to play it save. You were planning on the government to save you ?!  Others already here, not fearful but sensible, changed their plans.  Sure, things have been changing fast, but not that fast!  Until quite recently, it has been an individual's call.  Lots of wishful thinking to stick around!

Want to gamble?  Buy a lottery ticket.  Go to Las Vega when it reopens!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

And just to reiterate, it contains very little real information other than the overstay fine being suspended from the 27th.

No information on how this will be applied or criteria to qualify. 

All the rest is old news like needing the embassy letter.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, finy said:

That doesn't make any sense.

From what I could tell from Google translate they're trying to change things because the amount of people visiting immingation has shot up from 1000 to 5000.

Eliminating overstay fines wouldn't fix that.

Perhaps immigration is thinking about allowing foreigners to go on overstay without later collecting a fine, which would mean that they won't have to apply for the emergency extension under the Covid-19 memorandum.

At the moment they are only thinking about it. We have to wait and see if this gets translated into action.

• Like 2

To change the popular slant of this general conversation somewhat, the TAT minister (Tourism and Sports, folks for those who are visiting) must be having absolute HYSTERICS with how the Ministry of the Interior is handling the situation!  All sound like a bunch of Trump hires doing an extra gig!

Oh yeah, the TAT minister is the guy who convinced the PM not to restrict OA visas very early on?  Not that long ago.

Yeah, maybe even a Trump reject!

Edited by Mapguy
Extra thoughts

1 minute ago, Maestro said:

Perhaps immigration is thinking about allowing foreigners to go on overstay without later collecting a fine, which would mean that they won't have to apply for the emergency extension under the Covid-19 memorandum.

At the moment they are only thinking about it. We have to wait and see if this gets translated into action.

I originally thought this is what they meant, then more experienced forum members dissected what it could mean and how they'd implement it, factoring in thai mentality of how'd they do things... then i realized that im just naive and the members speak more wisdom based on experience of dealing with the government here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

If so, it would be similar to what other ASEAN countries (Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia) have done.  And it would be a nice gesture of good will towards tourists who chose to spend their time and money to travel to Thailand. (And would like to in the future)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

I don't want saving, I just want reasonable options to extend when I can't extend using traditional means. I don't even mind paying for it, and I don't think that's too much to ask when basically every other country has done so.

I had a flight to Vietnam booked, but even that had me spooked, as I would rather not fly at this time. The socially responsible thing to do is stay put if you can, regardless of daft immigration requirements. Not safe to travel between provinces, but safe to travel internationally. How does that work?

Well said that man. 

Stay put and deal with the consequences later. Hopefully by doing this we will be alive to deal with the consequences!

• Like 1

Well, you have had choices.  Your timing was off and, unfortunately, you have made an inconvenient choice.  Really shouldn't expect governments to bail you out when you do have discretionary leeway.  That has been my point. You have had choices  Be glad for that!  Most people don't.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I NEVER said Immigration policy and procedures have been helpful or healthy! I was talking about the choices individuals have had the privilege to make themselves to avoid the complications.

So, enjoy your stay as best you can! Crummy way to spend a vacation, of course.

Just got back with a 28 day COVID extension. My Single Non-O + 60 day ext. expired today. (guardian visa)

If you have the same visa as me, go to Counter N, not the usual counter L. This visa isn't attached to the Non-o. She didn't want any birth certificates, rental agreements / house address, not even the front page of my passport! I came home with a stack of papers normally needed for a Non-O ext..

She took all of the usual applications w/pictures and the letter from my US Embassy. Took 15 minutes.

I got there about 4.45 and was 42nd in line, ushered in around 5.30 and given a number. Around 7.15 they started letting numbers in about 7.45. I was out by around 8.30. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dayward1 said:

Just got back with a 28 day COVID extension. My Single Non-O + 60 day ext. expired today. (guardian visa)

If you have the same visa as me, go to Counter N, not the usual counter L. This visa isn't attached to the Non-o. She didn't want any birth certificates, rental agreements / house address, not even the front page of my passport! I came home with a stack of papers normally needed for a Non-O ext..

She took all of the usual applications w/pictures and the letter from my US Embassy. Took 15 minutes.

I got there about 4.45 and was 42nd in line, ushered in around 5.30 and given a number. Around 7.15 they started letting numbers in about 7.45. I was out by around 8.30. 

So you got the "Under Consideration" stamp with instructions to return on a specific date.

Just got back from CW to extend my tourist visa (SETV) with letter from the embassy. They started by saying that the letter must be an original and color copy of email was not accepted. Then they asked for a copy of that copy (why?) and also to see a proof I was living at the address I wrote on the form (fortunately I brought my lease and a copy too).

Now guess how many days I got? 30? 14? wrong, I got 11. Where does that number come from? They explained that a superior needed to review it and I have to come back on April 10 and they will let me know if I get the rest of the days... This is the same stamp as everyone else "APPLICATION OF STAY IS UNDER CONSIDERATION, APPLICANT MUST CONTACT AGAIN IN PERSON ON", and everyone seem to be given a completely different and arbitrary number of days. If this was an evaluation of how much they like us, I guess I didn't make such a good impression.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, uberfarang said:

Just got back from CW to extend my tourist visa (SETV) with letter from the embassy. They started by saying that the letter must be an original and color copy of email was not accepted. Then they asked for a copy of that copy (why?) and also to see a proof I was living at the address I wrote on the form (fortunately I brought my lease and a copy too).

Now guess how many days I got? 30? 14? wrong, I got 11. Where does that number come from? They explained that a superior needed to review it and I have to come back on April 10 and they will let me know if I get the rest of the days... This is the same stamp as everyone else "APPLICATION OF STAY IS UNDER CONSIDERATION, APPLICANT MUST CONTACT AGAIN IN PERSON ON", and everyone seem to be given a completely different and arbitrary number of days. If this was an evaluation of how much they like us, I guess I didn't make such a good impression.

That's insane because was at Canadian embassy today and they said if letter is approved they'll send us an email, meaning they don't give it out on the spot. That's crazy, needing original in times when travel is not recommended, and isolation is encouraged. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

That's insane because was at Canadian embassy today and they said if letter is approved they'll send us an email, meaning they don't give it out on the spot. That's crazy, needing original in times when travel is not recommended, and isolation is encouraged. 

lol why do they treat it like it's some precious scarce thing? they act like giving more letters make them look bad, so they do everything in their power not to give them.

what reason did you tell them?

31 minutes ago, timoti said:

lol why do they treat it like it's some precious scarce thing? they act like giving more letters make them look bad, so they do everything in their power not to give them.

what reason did you tell them?

Zero idea to be honest. In situations like these is when things should be streamlined. Especially by the embassy of a developed nation. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vajra Kilaya said:

Got the letter this morning in my email. Went to Udon immigration this afternoon.

had a color photo copy that the IO spent time scrutinizing, had two photos, had copies of passport pages but they do not ask for them here, they make them and charge you 2000 baht for extension, also had a proof of residence in the form of a copy of apartment owners housebook, Thai ID,copy  and signature. They specifically asked for the proof of residence.

Received under-consideration stamp and the date of April 14 on the stamp. Told to come back on that date... My original extension expires on March 31.

FYI 

Also, they start telling people to come back tomorrow at around 3pm. 

Good luck to all. 

Wow regarding the whole residence house/Thai ID card. Ridiculous...

As it so happens, last week I finally asked my Thai landlord to register for TM30 online reporting. He got his username and password instantly, filed a report for me and provided me with a screenshot.

Looks like that might come in handy when it's my time to ask for an extension, I thought they had relaxed this at CW but apparently they ask (some?) people for proof of address.