Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

13 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Report from Chonburi immigration this afternoon. Afternoon queue begins 1pm, they seemed to cut off new arrivals and turn them away at 2:30pm (I recall the sign saying you had until 3pm to queue..).

After a sweltering 90 minutes standing in line under the tent, I went to photocopy my documents. The photocopy lady made a really hard sales pitch to get a 'special' visa extension, explaining how getting the 30 day from immigration was problematic. I had heard from this forum these 'special' extensions were around 10k for 30 days. When I mentioned I had no embassy letter, making it impossible to get the proper 30 day, she offered me a special price!! 17k baht for 30 days. I told her I'll take my chances with a 7 day extension, and she wished me luck. I replied thanks, I'll need it. I don't know the legality of these extensions, but they're making no attempt to keep it on the down low or be discrete about it, so who knows.

Ventured in to pay for overstay. The overstay was due to waiting for an embassy letter, which never came, as I only got a vague automated reply some days later, and today decided it wasn't worth waiting anymore. There was an Iranian guy at the overstay desk, I think I heard him mention 12 days overstay. He was getting the run around from immigration, until finally they said "Just pay it at the airport". They seemed to be suggesting you can't just pay the overstay, without applying for any kind of extension? They simply wouldn't give him a ticket (queue number) for the overstay desk. The overstay officer actually walked him to the front desk, and even the overstay officer couldn't get a ticket for this gent! I have no idea why they made life difficult for him, I guess it's the unwritten mission statement for immigration.

Paid for my 7 day extension, and asked what happens if I can't get a flight before it expires. Was told come back with embassy letter. Replied I cannot, showed them the automated reply from my embassy that stated they will not provide assistance for Thai visa's. Asked again, what do I do. Some head scratching.  "Do I just overstay and pay at airport?". Her body language suggested "I just work here, why are you asking me?". Followed by a shrug and confirmation that yes, if I'm forced to overstay, don't bother coming back to immigration, just sort it at the airport. I wish I could get that in writing, but the point of this visit was to show I had taken all reasonable steps to do it legally.

The way the special visa was offered at the entrance, makes me think there's been pressure to make this difficult as a cash cow process. You needed embassy letter, 3 photos of you in your room, 20 days proof of accommodation booking (and I think a letter from hotel stating you will stay there). I can think of few reasons to throw in these additional requirements beyond the embassy letter, aside from making life difficult. I overheard several people leaving with only 7 days. If they're planning to throw people into IDC over this, things are going to get real cozy there. They might need to build a temporary detention facility. While the rest of the world is decking out buildings to become temporary hospitals, Thailand is refitting buildings to become immigration centers. Good job lads, I'm glad you have your priorities in order.

That said, my intuition is IDC is not the goal, though I wouldn't rule anything out. How casually they told the Iranian guy to just pay his 12 day overstay at the airport, made it seem they don't see it as something to make a fuss over. They didn't express much concern over my potential overstay either.

I agree. If you're thrown into IDC...they can't continue to collect extension fees from you. They know in the current situation most of us are not here to illegally live/work here. We are travellers who got stuck not being able to get to next destination due to these extreme circumstances. So we actually have the ability to pay fees. It's actually less lucrative for them if they put us in IDC. Right?

Edited by audaciousnomad

1 minute ago, audaciousnomad said:

I agree. If you're thrown into IDC...they can't continue to collect extension fees from you. They know in the current situation most of us are not here to illegally live/work here. So we actually have the ability to pay fees. It's actually less lucrative for them if they put us in IDC. Right?

If they do it before 40 days (when the fees cap out at 20k), then yes it largely undoes all the lengths they put in to deny your visa in the first place. So I'm inclined to agree, but who can divine what drives their decision making process, I think it largely depends on who you encounter along the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

In relation to the "covid visa" currently given with an embassy letter is it necessary for your wife and or child to also attend? 

I'd rather venture into the heart of darkness on my own if possible.

For my and my young son's initial visa exemption extensions and embassy letter extensions (first at CW, then MTT), we both had to appear. (They need to take pictures.) One consolation is that each visit, we were given priority status (due to my young son).

Out of curiosity... if going to extend in BKK (2nd extension), do we need the whole residence proof, photo of us in residence, etc? Im seeing in other places it's becoming a requirement . As im in an airbnb, this might be a bit difficult to provide. 

P.S. Got my embassy letter today

13 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

Out of curiosity... if going to extend in BKK (2nd extension), do we need the whole residence proof, photo of us in residence, etc? Im seeing in other places it's becoming a requirement . As im in an airbnb, this might be a bit difficult to provide. 

I don't recall Bangkok immigration wanting all of that.

3 hours ago, Smooth said:

...first at CW, then MTT...

I was able to guess that with CW you mean the Bangkok immigration office on Chaeng Watthana Road, but what do you mean with MTT?

13 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I was able to guess that with CW you mean the Bangkok immigration office on Chaeng Watthana Road, but what do you mean with MTT?

10 minutes ago, fishtank said:

It is a mystery.

Muang Thong Thani

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, bestie said:

That should be hopefully enough time. If you don't receive the letter by the end of next week I would send the documents again and try to call them. Their hotline is available on the weekends too. Don't worry. Seems like their doing everything to help us. 

It would be nice to hear from you again when you receive the letter from the embassy

Habe einen schönen Tag. 

I have received the letter. Went pretty quickly. In the meantime I heard about the "new" government regulation regarding renewal. I put off my visit to Immi and wanted to wait for the result of the decision. The result is sobering, actually I expected something constructive. Well, that's our beloved paradise ........ !!!!!
I will wait a few more days until the beginning of next week to go to Immi. Lets see what happens .
Greetings from a frustrated man.
Otherwise everything is fine.  ????????

hey all. quick question: i have done my second extension of visa exempt stamp and will be going in for the third with (hopefully) new embassy letter a few days before Apr 21. 

would i be eligible to switch to a new visa after presumably getting another near 30 days extension? if so, which ones? 

30 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

would i be eligible to switch to a new visa after presumably getting another near 30 days extension? if so, which ones? 

The only visas that can be applied for are non immigrant visas based upon qualifying for some one year extensions of stay.

And a Thai Elite membership and visa.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

hey all. quick question: i have done my second extension of visa exempt stamp and will be going in for the third with (hopefully) new embassy letter a few days before Apr 21. 

You cannot apply for a tourist Visa in-country, but you can apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO, and in the last month of those 90-days then apply for the 1-year permission to stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.  You would need to apply at your local IO  when you have at least 15 days left (some IOs require 21 days) of your permission to stay.

If you are +50 years of age you can apply for the 'retirement' option of that Visa, and if you are married to a thai national you are eligible for the 'marriage' option.

If neither +50 years of age or married to a thai national, your only option left is the relatively costly Thai Elite Visa.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If neither +50 years of age or married to a thai national, your only option left is the relatively costly Thai Elite Visa.

There are other types of extensions that a non immigrant visa can be applied for. Thereis 17 listed on the immigration website.

For example they can applied for if working for a company, teaching, attending school, being a family member of a person on certain extensions and etc.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 1:59 PM, Peter Denis said:

You cannot apply for a tourist Visa in-country, but you can apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO, and in the last month of those 90-days then apply for the 1-year permission to stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.  You would need to apply at your local IO  when you have at least 15 days left (some IOs require 21 days) of your permission to stay.

If you are +50 years of age you can apply for the 'retirement' option of that Visa, and if you are married to a thai national you are eligible for the 'marriage' option.

thanks for the detail on these options, will do some more research!

You know all these extra documents that are being requested( such as utility bills and photographs of you at the room, owners ID etc) are they ONLY for those visa exempt(30/60day) extensions?

Do they also apply to 1 year retirement 'visas' (extension of stay)?

Thanks

19 hours ago, thecolonel said:
You know all these extra documents that are being requested( such as utility bills and photographs of you at the room, owners ID etc) are they ONLY for those visa exempt(30/60day) extensions?

Do they also apply to 1 year retirement 'visas' (extension of stay)?

Thanks

See the topic heading. Discussion relates to special 30 day Covid Extensions obtained using an Embassy letter.

One year retirement extensions not included.

Edited by jacko45k

On 3/25/2020 at 3:06 PM, Maestro said:

If I understand your post correctly, you intended from the outset to stay in Thailand longer than 60 days. In my opinion, you therefore acted irresponsibly by travelling to Thailand without a visa, thereby adding to the workload of the immigration office and to the long queue of applicants for extension.

At any rate, you were supposed to have a confirmed flight out of Thailand for your check-in for your flight. Unless that onward flight is cancelled or delayed to a date beyond the expiration date of your current permission to stay, you have no emergency and therefore the immigration office may justifiably deny you the 30-day extension under clause 2.28 of the Police Order regarding extensions even if your embassy gives you the emergency certification, unless there is another valid reason why you are unable to take that flight.

I intended to stay for 3 weeks, I had an onward flight which was canceled.