Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

3 hours ago, xvend said:

USA on a 30 day exempt that I already extended for 30 days. They ask me for my flight ticket out and to show it was cancelled. Since I hadn't booked a flight yet I could not show them a cancelled flight and because there are flights to the USA it was a no go.

I still have some time on my exempt, so Im weighing my options.

In Phuket BTW

You still have time to game the system as I am sure the number of flights from Thailand to the US (and elsewhere) are decreasing rapidly.

Wasn't Phuket Immigration one of the first to offer this 'help' to the stranded foreigner before tacking on the need for a letter from their embassy that AFAIK no foreign embassy issues?

10 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

For non o border runners what the hell do they do? My country aint on the list and cant fly anywhere anyway and borders are closing so why is there no mention of anything for this visa? 3pday is stupid. I got a visa which is paid for but have to border hop every 90days. Surely immigration can just make a fancy stamp so there is no need for the time being???

You are probably supposed to apply for a one year extension.

If this is not possible for you and you can't get the embassy letter you would fall under point 3, and this sounds quite a bit special (you probably have to convince the IO why you have to stay in Thailand, why you didn't get a yearly extension before and why you don't apply for a yearly extension now, and saying that you don't have the money would probably be a bad choice)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

For non o border runners what the hell do they do? My country aint on the list and cant fly anywhere anyway and borders are closing so why is there no mention of anything for this visa? 3pday is stupid. I got a visa which is paid for but have to border hop every 90days. Surely immigration can just make a fancy stamp so there is no need for the time being???

If you are married to or the parent of a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

IMO you name not being on the list means nothing really. Go to immigration and ask about getting a 30 day extension. You will likely be told you need a letter from your embassy.

1 hour ago, pdtokyo said:

If anyone is opening a book on this i'll put B1,000 on UJ to win by a nose ... not blind faith ... the notice also runs on about "... our neighbouring countries ..." and none of those countries appear in the list either. This leads this little black duck to read that list as simply a bunch of (irrelevant and misleading) examples and think the notice applies to all.

<rant alert>

In normal times, interpreting these missives is a fun sport, but in this case there could be consequences for individuals. This notice was obviously knocked up by someone with incomplete English language/comprehension/drafting skills.

Surely there is one person in the organisation capable of communicating this stuff more clearly ... or failing that, at least the miniscule budget required to run this stuff past an external editor before publishing it? I'd bid to do the job for about B10,000 and a WP. Two hours work there, tops.

This item is going to generate Bsquillion wasted IO time trying to untangle it and every directive I've seen seems to come from the same calibre author(s).

Doesn't anyone on this site have the tiniest bit of suction with the Thai IMMI regime?

<end of rant>

We'll find out soon enough these next couple of days after reports come back from folks who have attempted to secure an extension based on this letter. ????

• Haha 1

I don't even know what category I fall under.
I just was given a 30 day visa when I arrived at the Airport., which I then extended for 30 days at local IO.  What fancy name is that? (tourist visa sounds too simple I suppose, not confusing enough). What category number do I come under?
I'm English, and yes, flights are still available to the UK.
My visa Expires on 28th March (which was already extended once already at the IO), all visa runs seem impossible, so will I get this extension?

Threads and threads posted and we still don't know...

Edited by theVenerable
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

I just was given a 30 day visa when I arrived at the Airport., which I then extended for 30 days at local IO.  What fancy name is that? (tourist visa sounds too simple I suppose, not confusing enough). What category number do I come under?
My visa Expires on 28th March (which was already extended once already at the IO), all visa runs seem impossible, so will I get this extension?

Only way to find out is for someone (or you) to try it by bringing this letter with them(maybe both the English and Thai versions of the pdf), and see if they honor it. Then report the result here.  I would do it, but I won't need an extension until next month.

8 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

You have a visa exempt, this falls under tourist (TR), so this would be number 1.

9 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

Nobody knows yet, it was weekend and tomorrow is the first day when people who know of this police order can apply for such an extension.

Your permission of stay expires in a few days, so you could equip yourself with a copy of the order in Thai and English, take it to the immigration office tomorrow morning and ask them if you will get another 30 days. Then you can share your results with us here.

While you are there don't forget to ask if this extension is possible for all nationalities or only the ones listed in this document, this is relevant for many other people here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I have already extended 60 days extension based on visit wife and that extension it expires in 3 days so for me it will have everything to do with the virus in my case.I won't be going anywhere so I will see tomorrow what they do in my case.I will try the extention without the embassy letter as well as trying to contact the Aussie embassy to see if the will issue the required letter.

I think you and I are in exactly the same posistion FarFlungFalang, right down to visa expiry date.  It will be interesting to compare our experiences.

What IO will you be attending in the morning? I will be going to Udon. 

Edited by UdonRoy
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

As a side thought, I wonder if immigration will require the marriage certificate validation from the Amphore office to apply for this "special" extension?

Think I will go to immigration first and wait to be told I need it. I have no wish to visit the always busy Amphore office unnecessarily!

Social distancing, apparently not for me tomorrow! ????

Edited by UdonRoy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I have already extended 60 days extension based on visit wife and that extension it expires in 3 days so for me it will have everything to do with the virus in my case.I won't be going anywhere so I will see tomorrow what they do in my case.I will try the extention without the embassy letter as well as trying to contact the Aussie embassy to see if the will issue the required letter.

Do you have an emergency, for example because your flight out of Thailand has been cancelled or is delayed and no alternative flight or other mode of transportation can be arranged in time before the expiration of your current permission to stay?

11 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Clause 3 of Memorandum 0029.161/W 916 applies, for example, to foreigners whose embassy refuses the emergency certification letter required for an extension under clause 2.28 of Police Order 327/3557. This would be for foreigners, regardless whether they entered with any type of visa or visa-exempt, who do not qualify for any other type of extension and who have an emergency, for example because the flight out of Thailand is cancelled or delayed and no alternative flight or other mode of transportation can be arranged in time before the expiration of the current permission to stay.

So then for clause 3 if there is any other flight out of Thailand they can take to another country nobody qualifies, so you can pretty much deny most everyone. Therefore, we must have the embassy letter.

9 hours ago, finnsk said:

Great thanks to Ubonjoe for this important information.

Tomorrow I will go to IO, hope they get the information :-)

Download and print the memorandum, in Thai and English, and take it along to show in the unlikely event that your immigration official has not seen it yet.

9 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Do you have an emergency, for example because your flight out of Thailand has been cancelled or is delayed and no alternative flight or other mode of transportation can be arranged in time before the expiration of your current permission to stay?

For me the emergency would be I would probably be forced to fly to the US which is covid <deleted> storm, with my brother in quarantine and my elderly and infirm parents in seclusion so I wouldn't have home to go to. Would they consider that an emergency? No? So then I need to pick a country any country to fly to if they would accept me? And probably not be able to come back due new health and medical insurance requirements.

Edited by vermin on arrival
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Next we'll hear immigration can't process visa because everyone is ill.

That isn't out of the realms of possibility. I am waiting for the first immigration officer, in a local immigration office, being affected. I am certain that if/when this happens things will change, if only to protect the staff.

That will be interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theVenerable said:

If you have a flight booked for 28 March or earlier and this flight is cancelled or delayed and you cannot make alternative travel arrangements to leave Thailand before the expiration of your current permission to stay, you qualify for a 30-day extension of stay under clause 2 or 3 of the Memorandum 0029.161/W 916.

33 minutes ago, Maestro said:

If you have a flight booked for 28 March or earlier and this flight is cancelled or delayed and you cannot make alternative travel arrangements to leave Thailand before the expiration of your current permission to stay, you qualify for a 30-day extension of stay under clause 2 or 3 of the Memorandum 0029.161/W 916.

The orders don't say anything about flights, it's just about convincing the IO that the person has a legimate reason to stay in Thailand, see the text which was quoted in the OP:

"5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application."

28 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Attention All Americans Reading This Thread. I just received an e-mail reply from my message to the US Embassy website late Thursday afternoon. They sent me a form letter to show Thai Immigration. They said that a number of people were able to obtain extensions by showing a copy of the standard letter and the e-mail correspondence with the Embassy. I recommend contacting the Embassy by it's website ASAP. I will try my luck at CW on Tuesday.

Congrats on getting that letter! Which email address did you contact the Embassy at, and what specifically did you say that caused them to give you the letter?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

The orders don't say anything about flights, it's just about convincing the IO that the person has a legimate reason to stay in Thailand, see the text which was quoted in the OP:

"5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application."

The text you quote is from paragraph 5 of Police Order 327-2557 (2014). This paragraph is referred to as Criteria 5 of Police Order 327-2557 (2014) in clause 3 the Memorandum 0029.161/W 916, which applies to foreigners who are unable to meet the criteria for an extension under clauses 1 and 2 of the Memorandum 0029.161/W 916, which in effect means unable to meet the criteria under clause 2.4 or 2.28 of Police Order 327-2557 (2014)

The question with an application under clause 3 of the Memorandum 0029.161/W 916, therefore, is how "the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer" will rule on it when "a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand" and passes the application up to the next level. Hopefully, Thaivisa members who make such application will post the outcome on the forum.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They can keep going back for additional 30 days? 30 days are unlikely to be enough

They don't seem to have a scooby whats going. I note they haven't said how much the extension will be each time. This is the shock when you go along to the immigration office