Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

48 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

So an Immigration Officer advised you to overstay?  I'm not calling you a liar....but it would be unusual that an officer responsible for keeping illegal stayers out of Thailand would actually advise one to do so.

Not exactly and it’s not unusual. They are saying leave the country or come back with the letter. But if you come back — and by then are on overstay — they will only process the extension if you pay the daily overstay fine as well as the 1,900 THB.

8 minutes ago, superatoz said:

is it possible to apply for an extension with non imm O visa ? marriaage visa . 

2 hours ago i went to the IO , they said i cant ,and i need to apply a new visa. 

did they say:  get a tourist visa and come back ? 

or fly out / in and get a visa on arrival ?

in both cases, you will need those LAB test + 100k US$

46 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

They'll still probably charge everyone. It wouldn't surprise me even they upped the daily overstay fine to 1000/day

Not going to happen,

FYI: By law they can charge 20k for a 1 day overstay. Fortunately they give us a discount!

3 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

To all Americans reading this thread: I just called the embassy and they asked for me to send a copy of my bio data page and they will write personal letters. I don't know if this will help us when we go to Chaeng Wattana since it will not be notarized. Seems like the emergency decree of the 18th does not apply there.

What is a bio data page? Send it where? Email address?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, superatoz said:

what if i am on a NON IMM O visa ? I went down to the immigration office and they told me to renew for 1 year <deleted> ? 

Im holding a Singapore Passport 

If you are the spouse or parent of a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension, otherwise — if you can’t travel — you need to apply for 30 days under the emergency rules posted in this topic.

29 minutes ago, PST said:

never said it was, but on this occasion a 60 day extension could be used if you cant do a border run on a NON O

You did. And did not make it clear the qualification for the extension.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, galenjones said:

Hey Joe, I am German and I have a Non-O Visa, permission to stay until the 25.01.2021 (Retirement). Sorry, English is not my native language. So I may ask you a foolish question: Can I ignore this Memorandum?

Sounds like you have a retirement extension and no concerns.....

This memorandum is for those with near immediate issues

22 minutes ago, superatoz said:

is it possible to apply for an extension with non imm O visa ? marriaage visa . 

2 hours ago i went to the IO , they said i cant ,and i need to apply a new visa. 

Yes. You can get 60 days — if you haven’t had a 60 day extension since you last entered — or 1 year if you can meet the financials.

Otherwise you’ll need a letter from your embassy to get 30 days. 

24 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

It's far from ideal, but when you're choosing between guaranteed moderate risk of exposure on a flight, and uncertain (arguably very low) chance of ending up at IDC, there's not a clear answer.

The air in a plane is filtered and safe. You will only get infected by close contact with another passenger or picking the virus up from infected surfaces.

You are crammed into a room at the IDC — possibly for weeks/month — and have a massive risk of infection.

Being caught and arrested maybe a small risk, but if it happened I guarantee you’d regret your decision not to fly!

25 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

To all Americans reading this thread: I just called the embassy and they asked for me to send a copy of my bio data page and they will write personal letters. I don't know if this will help us when we go to Chaeng Wattana since it will not be notarized. Seems like the emergency decree of the 18th does not apply there.

good point i did not think of that, will attach it to my request!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

UPDATE: Called US embassy American citizen services and got through operator and to someone working from home. 

they mentioned that they received several reports of people going in with the generic letter and being rejected. 

the section chief is approving a decision to go with individual letters with names on them and figuring out how to distribute them to people in person at embassy since they also received reports that thai immigration did not allow for paper copies. 

write to american citizen services ([email protected]) with your name and passport number and they said they would be getting back to people with additional instructions. 

Ah so we need to pick it up in person. I was also told a screen shot of the bio data page was needed. I have already sent it, I have started anew thread about this issue of letters from the US embassy.

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The air in a plane is filtered and safe. You will only get infected by close contact with another passenger or picking the virus up from infected surfaces.

You are crammed into a room at the IDC — possibly for weeks/month — and have a massive risk of infection.

Being caught and arrested maybe a small risk, but if it happened I guarantee you’d regret your decision not to fly!

Now you're flat out giving harmful advice. Filtered air doesn't help for anyone near you, as you noted, and just how are you supposed to avoid close contact with aircraft seating?

IDC won't be months, never heard of such a case, and even weeks is a stretch. If you don't have money to pay the fine, it probably will be weeks, but if you don't have money for the fine, you don't have money for the flight either.

Overstaying may not be a good idea - but that doesn't warrant giving misleading advice as you have done, and exaggerating the outcomes to the nth degree, while simultaneously downplaying the risks of flying.

Edited by jacob29
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Come on. Chances to get arrested are slim especially now when people stay 95%+ of time at home.

My advise to everybody on overstay is to change the phone number registered with the immigration and, preferably, to change your old mobile device too. Theoretically, they could track down people using the mobile phone’s location. Also, change apartment while you have a valid visa in case the current address is also registered at the immigration. With these precautions everybody should be fine. 

If the country goes into lockdown, which it probably will, they will want to know the whereabouts of every foreigner, and IMO many overstayers will get caught in those circumstances.

People without long term visa options should leave.

It is irresponsible to recommend/suggest overstaying as an option. End of!

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

This is dated 5 days ago.   3 days ago at least 2 immigration offices in Isaan were telling people "No Extension.   You have to do a boarder run."  And that after most borders had been closed.   

I tell my son to "visualise" what will happen if he does or doesn't take an action.   What are my chances of getting a work permit to teach the Thai Immigration bosses the same principle ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, artiz said:

Can everyone post about their upcoming IO experiences here please... I'm English and on a 30 day tourist stamp from Phnom Penh on the 12th March so any up to date and relevent experience of getting the (first) extra 30 day extension (and where you got it?) will be more than appreciated.

There should be no complications getting your first extension, was there any particular reason you were concerned about getting the initial extension? I got my visa exempt 30 day extension early in the month.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Have they tested those magic filters for coronavirus already?

10 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Now you're flat out giving harmful advice. Filtered air doesn't help for anyone near you, as you noted, and just how are you supposed to avoid close contact with aircraft seating?

Try reading what I wrote!

IDC won't be months, never heard of such a case, and even weeks is a stretch. If you don't have money to pay the fine, it probably will be weeks, but if you don't have money for the fine, you don't have money for the flight either.

Then you’re clearly uninformed and shouldn’t be commenting.

Overstaying may not be a good idea - but that doesn't warrant giving misleading advice as you have done, and exaggerating the outcomes to the nth degree, while simultaneously downplaying the risks of flying.

I’m just stating facts, and advising against overstaying.

The risk of flying is far less than the risk of being held in the IDC for weeks/months. Fact.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If the country goes into lockdown, which it probably will, they will want to know the whereabouts of every foreigner, and IMO many overstayers will get caught in those circumstances.

People without long term visa options should leave.

It is irresponsible to recommend/suggest overstaying as an option. End of!

To this date nobody died from overstay. Unlike from coronavirus spreading fast day by day. Whose advice might be more harmful at the end: mine or yours? Reality has changed but some people (like you and Thai immigration authority) refuse to accept it. Now it is time for each individual to decide what suits his/her interest the best and act accordingly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Have they tested those magic filters for coronavirus already?

Do some research on air filtration on planes and the confined conditions in the IDC.

I’d take filtered air in a plane over rank stale air in a detention centre any day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

To this date nobody died from overstay.

Wanna bet?

Unlike from coronavirus spreading fast day by day. Whose advice might be more harmful at the end: mine or yours? Reality has changed but some people (like you and Thai immigration authority) refuse to accept it. Now it is time for each individual to decide what suits his/her interest the best and act accordingly.

And I’m giving information to enable them to make an informed decision!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

There should be no complications getting your first extension, was there any particular reason you were concerned about getting the initial extension? I got my visa exempt 30 day extension early in the month.

Absolutely... I am also on the list of 11 countries in the orginal memorandom posted by ubanjoe so I should be OK. (Famous Last Words) I would simply like to be kept informed of what immigration is 'up to' during this very unpleasant period.