Covid-19: Foreigner fined 20K for breaking quarantine - health certificate didn't help him; Thais warned they are next

webfact

48 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Buriram is the Health Minister's power base and he is good mates with the Governor. So you will be supporting Anutin for PM?

There is a much more powerful force in Buriram that does the hiring and firing. The one who got the above two their jobs in the first place, for example.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Interesting comment. I wonder how those people, when leaving their home for a trip, know that others have the same idea. That is until they get there. By which time it is too late.

Because I know the Snowdonia national park very well and I'm aware of just how popular it is. Even during a quiet period there are many people out on the many mountain trails.

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Interesting how foreigners and Thais are treated differently. They say Thais are next, but this case of Nanny Sweetie, where a woman went to work in SKorea illegally and then went partying ignoring all self-quarantine shows she got off with a slap on the wrist. She just had to apologise.

Fair enough, she was not infected with Covid19, but the same applied to this foreigner. The foreigner pays a 20000 baht fine, the Thai lady does not.

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/general/woman-who-partied-on-return-from-korea-apologises-to-public/

Maybe the Chiang Mai Governor is too busy fighting fires in the hills which is also a serious health issue.

9 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Fair enough.

Just wonder, what he's been up to during the night in Pattaya. Imagine he was positive! 20k is very reasonable price for irresponsibility.

Pattaya is not considered a risky area. He got the fine because of leaving his wifes apartment. Get your facts straight.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Because I know the Snowdonia national park very well and I'm aware of just how popular it is. Even during a quiet period there are many people out on the many mountain trails.

I don;t doubt you do. However, I asked how those going there would know. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Thais are being 'isolated' in the home when they return to the provinces.

I know someone who went home in the middle of last week before the mass exodus which was obviously coming happened, she went to Sakhon Nakhon via Bangkok and arrived home late last week.

I provided her with a proper N95 respirator for the journey.

She was at first required to stay in the village - no travel to other villages, then the masses from Bangkok started arriving Sunday and Monday and they stepped it up a couple of notches, everyone who's returned should now remain at home for 14 days and not move around the village at all.

When they're at home in their 'isolation' they're staying with the family who are not restricted from moving around at all.

Not restricting the family during the 14 day isolation period is where this system falls apart and fails.

This is my main thought.  Staying at home with how many others who go about their lives.    It is going to hit the elderly in the villages hard I'm afraid.    Let's talk as bout how you can delete this app.   What's the time for your phone running out of battery.  Just buy a  500 baht burner phone for the app.  Bring an old <deleted> phone.  I'm not saying to avoid the quarantine but no one is putting a tracking collar on me.   Funny he went to pattaya.   That's the kind of understanding wife you come to Thailand for. Dont judge people.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sure i not agree that mostly western foreigners are fined with high fines as thais wouldn't be able to pay it. And all those who fleed Bangkok to their home villages go because no money for living there. The government don't support any of these poor people.

All in all: that guy not follow the advices and the laws so he has to pay!!!

Dr Withit Saritdeechaikul further stressed that health certificates were of no use. 

Well, whoever this doctor is, it is absolutely contradictory to what happens at any international airport in Thailand. No certificate = no travel. 

In closing, I share the good doctor's point, specially if issued in a clinic anywhere in Thailand without proper testing (which is either not available or you fork anything between Baht 7K - 10.5K ????

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And I am sure that every one of the tens of thousands jumping on buses out of Bangkok yesterday were faithfully loaded into this system too, right? It is too much to hope for that none of those leaving were infected and laughable to think that all of them will self quarantine, but I suspect very few fines, if any, will be levied on any of them, especially not 20,000 a hit.

20,000 for filthy farangs, 200 for Thai victims...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I recently returned from a trip to Pattaya to Buriram. I have been under self isolation since 19 March.

Registered on the app and temp checked twice a day.

Just wondering how did they notify you? The reason I ask is it seems many provinces don't have any checks in place (for example the the guy posting about his return to Chiang Mai from Bangkok). How are they communicating to people they should self quarantine, as it seems unless they make it obvious (as in on checkin to the hotel, which doesn't work so well if the person isn't headed to a hotel), it's going to be missed.

I would imagine the most effective place is notification at time of filling out residence notification for immigration (which would cover hotels and private residences). Except that doesn't apply to Thais.

Edited by jacob29

2 hours ago, puchooay said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

I don;t doubt you do. However, I asked how those going there would know. 

Car parks were completely full. Cars were parked for miles down the roads. Park authorities said that it was the busiest weekend that had seen for many years, surpassing even public holiday weekends.

In a country that is having such a serious problem, which by all accounts is far worse than we're going through here. In a country that has been told to stay home and minumise travel that is just crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, Moonlover said:

Car parks were completely full. Cars were parked for miles down the roads. Park authorities said that it was the busiest weekend that had seen for many years, surpassing even public holiday weekends.

In a country that is having such a serious problem, which by all accounts is far worse than we're going through here. In a country that has been told to stay home and minumise travel that is just crazy.

At the time the restrictions were less. The idea was to go somewhere out of the way.

I repeat, at the time of leaving their homes for a walk in the countryside, how did people know it was busy, carparks were full and there were queues? 

• Sad 1

I would love to know how many  Thai nationals will be fined.. especially those from the north east who live and work in Bangkok, pattaya, Phuket who are forced to return home because of no work..This Thai government have gone about everything to do with this virus in a completely wrong manner.. I mean allowing hundreds of thousands of Chinese tourists into Thailand ,Knowing they could be infected.. Horrendous decisions by them..But the western tourists will remember the disgusting way they have been treated.. I  mean a 500 baht a day fine for overstaying... because their out flights were cancelled!!  disgusting, horrendous treatment, it will be remembered, and the tourists will obviously not return..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 30la said:

We have been in this situation for years now, control is increasing ... wake up ...

Sheeple say "baaaaaa". Wolves bite. If you don't like the increasing degree of difficulty of being a wolf, then get back in the herd.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Acc to Western Govts, the KEY to defeating this C Virus is Social Distancing. I hope it does not turn into an epidemic here. Crowded transport is too close for comfort. But what’s the option . Tough situation for everyone, unfortunately.

One good thing about Thais is they aren’t panicking like in the West. 

The social distancing approach is not working well. The N.Y. State Governor said today that it wasn't a good idea to stick old and young people together in the first place. He also said that there are only 1 to 2 % of the population we have to worry about - the rest of us will recover on our own. Also mentioned risk stratification (young people anyone who recovered and is now immune etc ) should be able to work. Btw,  he is a Democrat. 

What worked in Korea, Singapore was testing and contact tracking plus isolating the positive carriers. Not sending them home to spread the virus to families. And masks are common in Asia and not in the USA or Europe

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Thais are being 'isolated' in the home when they return to the provinces

Not restricting the family during the 14 day isolation period is where this system falls apart and fails.

And that is exactly the same problem in the EU and USA. 

Let's face reality here. Its exploded in Bangkok and now it's now being seeded in the Provinces by people fleeing Bangkok! Expect Italy MK2 in about 30-45 days time. Time to batten down the hatches! PS Went shopping today and the Mrs commented on how many cars where from Bangkok!

Edited by peterrabbit
Additional info

23 hours ago, Skallywag said:

No one questions why anyone would marry a foreigner and not live with them?

Come on people. 

People who treat marriages here in LOS like a long time bar girl situation are unwanted and unwelcome IMO 

You either stay free and partake in freelancers/GFs or you marry and settle down.

You want both, good luck with that.

Never let a good opportunity to moralize go to waste. 

Sinners Repent! 

I normally go to the local municipal hospital every 3 or 6 months for a checkup and a little bit of medication, and it was abnormally quiet, almost more staff than patients.

All the seats in waiting areas were occupied in an alternating fashion

After the normal blood pressure stuff with the nurse and within 20 minutes was seeing a doctor.

Was asked twice at least why I had come as my appointment was actually for the 24th April, and they seemed surprised with my answer that I didn't want to come when things may be decidedly worse in 4 weeks, and that a state of emergency was about to begin.

Fantastic array of face masks both in the patients and hospital staff.

I also wore surgical gloves and a baseball cap, all in matching white.

13 hours ago, peterrabbit said:

Let's face reality here. Its exploded in Bangkok and now it's now being seeded in the Provinces by people fleeing Bangkok! Expect Italy MK2 in about 30-45 days time. Time to batten down the hatches! PS Went shopping today and the Mrs commented on how many cars where from Bangkok!

went out to get some sacks of pet food and there were a lot of Bangkok registered vehicles around the beach area and on the Sukhumvit in Rayong.