What happens if all flights in/out suspended?

Hypothetically, what if there is no way to fly out and eventually your visa expires before air service resumes?  Even if you wanted to leave you can't if there are no flights and borders are closed.
Wouldn't they have to waive your penalty since you are wanting to leave but it is impossible?

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Hypothetically, what if there is no way to fly out and eventually your visa expires before air service resumes?  Even if you wanted to leave you can't if there are no flights and borders are closed.
Wouldn't they have to waive your penalty since you are wanting to leave but it is impossible?

Nobody knows for sure yet, but if there is really no way out of Thailand, i guess even Thai immigration would issue extensions based on this reason.

Hypothetically you would stay put and a policy would roll out from immigration that would be enforced differently across the provinces including a hoop for the person to jump through probably involving an uncooperative embassy or hard to meet requirement.  I try to keep things positive so in that situation automatic extensions to a said/presumed safe date would be provided, hypothetically. 

• Haha 1

Hypothetically, it is happening.

So - get the letter from your embassy (on line), go to immigration, queue up for hours, pay 1,900 baht for an extension, and you are OK. No fine. Another 15 days? repeat. (on Samui)

If you do not do the above, 500 baht a day for overstay.

It is happening to guests of mine so it is not really hypothetical!

Edited by Tropicalevo

58 minutes ago, mike787 said:

worry when it happens...relax, enjoy thailand...

Nice words, here I have learned to be more reactive than proactive just because that is the way it is living here. Don't worry to much about what you can't control, just extra stress.  Be prepared to react and enjoy Thailand!

• Like 2

I'm stuck in India with severe lockdown, and even the domestic flights, trains and busses are suspended. If you are forced to overstay your visa I suggest you should call your embassy or consulate for assistance. I spoke with the Australian consulate in Mumbai today, and they told me to call them if I'm likely to overstay, they would assist to get some sort of extension.

23 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Apply for the 30-day extension of stay available under clause 2.28 of Police Order 327-2557 (2014), repeatedly if necessary, until you manage to get a flight out of Thailand.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thai006 said:

go back your country NOW 

In fact, the government of many countries are advising their nationals to to make immediate plans to return home if it is their intention to leave Thailand.

"Hypothetically, what if there is no way to fly out and eventually your visa expires before air service resumes?  Even if you wanted to leave you can't if there are no flights and borders are closed.
Wouldn't they have to waive your penalty since you are wanting to leave but it is impossible?"

Talk to your embassy or consulate, they may be able to help you to get some sort of extension or waiver. I had a chat with the Australian consulate in Mumbai and they told me they are going to assist if I have to overstay my visa. Put your tax money at work. The Thai immigration won't help you.

• Like 1

You get a 30 day extension. This was announced at leat a week ago. I spoke to an agent yesterday who told me they charge 3k baht but if you go yourself it is currently free in Jomtien. You have to go in person as a photo will be taken even if you use the agent  They skip the queue for you though