PHOTOS: Immigration at Chaeng Wattana heaving with foreigners desperately trying to extend their visas

webfact

5 hours ago, stuhan said:

Letters are not required for V.O.A or tourist visa just go and apply.pay the fee.Non immigrate visa,i think may need letter? but not required to renew yearly N.I.O retirement visa.90 DAY reports you can do online,i have done all mine online for past 3yrs with very few problems.

I tried the online 90D on Friday, it was no go. Ended up telling me to check with my local immigration office ! So went to Aranyaprathet on Monday, did the formality and was back in the car within 10 minutes! Wonder what it’s like today and next days ..

5 hours ago, dabhand said:

Why are the Embassies not making protests to the Thai government on this serious matter?

Instead they are merely scuttling around to provide Immigration requested paperwork, rather than firing back at yet another example of completely unnecessary red tape.

Yes, I am looking at you, the British and US Embassy.  Once again you are failing your fellow citizens. 

Because they charge a hefty fee to supply these letter$

3 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Besides, surely many people in the tourism industry would like all these tourists and expats to stay in Thailand and spend money here!! Ten of millions of Baht flowing into Thailand every day, being spent every day, supporting the failing Thai economy, while all these foreigners are forced to remain in Thailand.

I have some reasons to believe that many tourists would run out of money, if stranded here, far away from their jobs, for an extended length of time. So some may be spending here while others might end up out begging. You reckon this is worth the risk for Thailand?

There is also the good old health insurance issues, if they catch COVID 19, most of these tourists won't the cash or cover for two weeks in ICU.

• Like 1

I took a friend there today to extend his 30 day visa on arrival which expired today. We arrived at 0810 AM & he got his initial queue number which was 1460 @ that time of the morning. Got his paperwork completed, photo & copy of passport sorted quickly but he had to wait until just after 1000 AM before he got his visa queue number which was K485 and didn’t get his 30 day extension stamped in his passport until 1825 PM. During his lengthy wait he heard two separate verbal arguements with the immigration staff by a German man & an American man over wrong paperwork & waiting times but they quickly calmed down. He said that every other seat was designated as an empty seat to make people keep their distance apart.

Edited by Bantex

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Well done mr Prayuth! MAke them sweat and stressy and even sick there in the queue...in times like this it's important to show them who's boss...

On the other hand, there's a group of Thai in Germany right now cycling around in the villages while the germans all have to stay inside...they got special privileges...solly but i can't tell you more about this group of people since that's against the forumrules.

I believe Thai airways are indeed not suspending flights to Munich and Zurich.

A comparison of the UK's solution to stranded tourists and visas compared to Thailand's

Home Secretary Priti Patel said:

"The UK continues to put the health and wellbeing of people first and

nobody will be punished for circumstances outside of their control.

By extending people’s visas, we are giving people peace of mind and

also ensuring that those in vital services can continue their work."

"Those who contact the Home Office for these visa extensions will be expected to return to their home countries as soon as possible once flight and border restrictions are lifted. No immigration enforcement action will be undertaken during this time for those who email the Home Office as outlined above."

Meanwhile In Thailand

When asked about the emergency decree’s ban on large gatherings, Col. Phakkhaphong said his agency will deliberate on the matter.

“We understand the current situation and we are trying to provide the best service,” he said. “But our national security needs to come first.”

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/03/25/stranded-tourists-expats-ordered-to-file-for-extensions-at-immigration/

Edited by monkfish
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Have any other countries announced visa amnesties or exemptions for foreigners due to Covid19?  I don't think so, so why would you think that Thailand should be doing it?

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Ok, ok!  I accept that one country (that doesn't have the tourist numbers that Thailand has or the problems with some visitors) has made it easier overall. 

Indonesia has made a very limited concession but only to overstayers who entered the country in the last few weeks.

Yes.  The Philippines, S-Korea, Indonesisa, Ireland, UK, France ... And of course, in most parts of the world, you KNOW there won't be an issue, because mistreating foreigners who are stuck in this Rare and Unique situation would be UNTHINIKABLE - so nothing to worry about.

First, the officials drove all the workers in Bangkok leave for home, to infect every province (no way to pay rent).  Then, this mob-scene.  Insane.

26 minutes ago, monkfish said:

“But our national security needs to come first.”

Oh, like closing the borders to the Chinese when they finally admitted it was spreading person-to-person?  Or perhaps they mean "China's national-security / foreign-policy" agenda "must come first."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

The US and British Embassies do not exist to support the citizens of their respective countries. The Embassy's role is ti further business, diplomatic and military interest of their countries....and of course, spy. As a citizen of the US or the UK, you are just a pain in the ass for you embassy. That extends to all embassies, not just the US and the UK. 

Your government is not your friend nor is your embassy.

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

Hopefully, all these people spread the word in their home countries.

Further, I never saw an embassy to serve their own citizens. They are here to help their rich to make easier to do business. Nothing else.

I recall the story of an Israeli citizen who was denied-entry at a Bangkok airport as part of their "crackdown on farangs spending too much money here too often."  She was told the "rules" said she had to go back to whatever previous country.  Her embassy IMMEDATELY responded, and got her on the next flight home. 

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Police and IO's belong to different government agencies but PM Prayut could as Supervisor of the Royal Thai Police order the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as part of his Cabinet to work cooperatively to allow the RTP to collect 90 day reports and forward to Immigration for recordation and issuance of updated status.

Immigration and Embassies are different - Embassies under MOFA.  Immigration is part of the RTP, as I understand it.  If a high-official called this out, it would stop.

Absolute shambles!

People who cannot leave the country because of the restrictions placed on travel by the Government should automatically get a free extension, and the 500 baht a day fine for overstay is actually one of the greediest and inhumane scams Immigration has come up with yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

The US and British Embassies do not exist to support the citizens of their respective countries. The Embassy's role is ti further business, diplomatic and military interest of their countries....and of course, spy. As a citizen of the US or the UK, you are just a pain in the ass for you embassy. That extends to all embassies, not just the US and the UK. 

Exactly it is your enemy. Not more, not less.

• Haha 1

It is funny looking at all the people wearing masks! Those mask protect you from absolutely nothing, especially the china virus!! The mask are for you if you are sick, so you can't cough on people and spread disease and virus!!! Wearing latex gloves would be better! Don't touch your face!! If someone is coughing run the other way!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bantex said:

He said that every other seat was designated as an empty seat to make people keep their distance apart.

I'm not fat but i don't fit in those seats...and an empty seat between 2 people is not enough distance which should be 1.5 meter mouth to mouth.

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

Exactly it is your enemy. Not more, not less.

When married my thai wife i needed a paper from my embassy...went there, paid them, got the paper, went to get married and then the thai official had an issue with said paper, the name of my parents were not on it, but 500 baht could fix that...which i paid....but the names were really missing which was an issue.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well done mr Prayuth! MAke them sweat and stressy and even sick there in the queue...in times like this it's important to show them who's boss...

On the other hand, there's a group of Thai in Germany right now cycling around in the villages while the germans all have to stay inside...they got special privileges...solly but i can't tell you more about this group of people since that's against the forumrules.

For me very clear, also for many people who are reading European newspapers.

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Thanks.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, unsubscribe said:

I saw this coming back in January and got out of dodge, why these people waited until the very last second is beyond me.

I bet they don't have more than a couple of days food either..

This Is crazy. I have to go tomorrow for the stamp in my passport for the non IMM-O extension based on marriage. The application is “Under consideration” for 30 days. Same as it was each year for the past 8 years. No option to do anything online and if I don’t go I lose my right to stay here. So I have to put myself and my family at risk so I can get a stamp! Awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If you see the photo you can only get sick.
Social distance where is that ?
Why can't the government just make the right decisions in such a crisis?
The stupid stamp in the passport or the 500 baht penalty per day for overstay is not important.
It is much more important that the tourists and expats stay at home and avoid mass groups.
I do not understand that the Thai authorities here do not clearly override the rules for a limited period of time, if the authorities have the aim of minimizing the spread of the virus.
Unfortunately, I can't give the Thai government officials good grades here.

• Like 1

Tourists should return to their home countries.If this blows up the last thing Thailand will need is thousands of sick tourists putting a strain on the health system.Some countries have already ordered tourists out of their countries. Foreigners with work permits, marriage visas,pension visas should have automatic extensions and not need to attend Immigration offices.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-british-tourists-in-spain-told-to-return-home-as-all-hotels-shut-11959806

Edited by tudorc