PHOTOS: Immigration at Chaeng Wattana heaving with foreigners desperately trying to extend their visas

webfact

14 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Not 100% fatal? Wow, those are the good news. FYI - this is a deadly virus. The percentage of those who dies - varies, but it is still incomparably more dangerous perspective than being caught by Thai immigration. 

Debatable, get locked up in IDC and you would not only have a very high risk of catching Covid-19, you would also stand a very good chance of catching something that has a way higher morbidity rate, disease is rife in there, with ZERO social distancing or chance of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Zikomat said:
28 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Given the choice of IDC and guaranteed deportation I'd risk the Immigration queue.

You don't risk the queue, you risk contracting corona virus. What do you prefer?

I'd prefer that you read my comments and their context.  Are you another one who thinks that there wouldn't be just a much chance of infection if locked up in the salubrious IDC?

• Haha 1

The government puts so many people at a possible risk by doing this. Why don't they just say that if people's visas expired during these dates (certain dates of the virus), they can stay longer. What a stupid idea by the government. Do they ever think?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I'd prefer that you read my comments and their context.  Are you another one who thinks that there wouldn't be just a much chance of infection if locked up in the salubrious IDC?

Yes, but you have to factor in the fact that you will  be in the immigration queue and you may not ever be in IDC , especially if you are self isolating and not going outside 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stuhan said:

Letters are not required for V.O.A or tourist visa just go and apply.pay the fee.Non immigrate visa,i think may need letter? but not required to renew yearly N.I.O retirement visa.90 DAY reports you can do online,i have done all mine online for past 3yrs with very few problems.

The link to do online 90 days report is not working!

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Have any other countries announced visa amnesties or exemptions for foreigners due to Covid19?  I don't think so, so why would you think that Thailand should be doing it?

post #83

The Thai authorities are 40 years behind the developed world.

And the Generals think they need even more control over the people to push them down further.

They have never heard of treating the public like customers or service users.

Unfortunately, they went to school before education began in Thailand.

They need to make way for a younger breed of educated and aware citizens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Immigration has stated that foreigners whose travel plans have been disrupted by COVID-19 can obtain a 30 day extension, providing they obtain a letter from their embassy.

This has resulted in many immigration offices in Thailand being packed with foreigners in recent days - at a time when there is huge importance on members of the public practicing social distancing in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

One word... ILLOGICAL!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Well according to JimHuaHin two posts above yours New Zealand has!

3 minutes ago, Chazar said:

post #83

Ok, ok!  I accept that one country (that doesn't have the tourist numbers that Thailand has or the problems with some visitors) has made it easier overall. 

Indonesia has made a very limited concession but only to overstayers who entered the country in the last few weeks.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Thai Terrier said:

This was not the situation yesterday 24th March - between 0730 am and 1030 am when I was there. Had a long queue to enter immigration which stretched a long way. People were made to stand in lines , similar to car lines waiting to board a ferry, at least 1 metre apart and every other chair inside had a notice placed saying NO on the seat. Immigration staff regularly walked down the waiting lines enforcing the 1 metre apart distancing. I appreciate 2 metres is recommended but in my view they were doing their best in difficult circumstances. I cannot speak for nearer lunchtime and at 1pm when immigration reopens.

they are large crowds in a confined space - there is no other way to describe it 

breaking every rule they are trying to impose on the country

some thinking is now required to address this very dangerous situation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dabhand said:

Why are the Embassies not making protests to the Thai government on this serious matter?

Instead they are merely scuttling around to provide Immigration requested paperwork, rather than firing back at yet another example of completely unnecessary red tape.

Yes, I am looking at you, the British and US Embassy.  Once again you are failing your fellow citizens. 

Australia, The UK and Canada are no better they have still kept open the VFS Global Biometric Data collection Centre in the Trendy building. There is no need for these centres to remain open. Thai nationals hold an e-passport biometric data has already been recorded,  Any residual concerns as to an applicants identity could be addressed by alternative safer and cheaper means. Documents are submitted online. It is reckless and irresponsible for these governments to keep these centres open. They are a serious risk for the transmission of the COVID-19 Virus. Close them down NOW

We advise all our clients to seek a waiver from having to attend and supply biometric data.  Check the centres liability insurance.  Governments who fail to act to protect public heath and safety may be liable should a person contract the virus as a result.  Class action law suit in the making.

Edited by OffshoreMig
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did my 90 days day before yesterday in Korat. Waited outside one minute until just one customer was in the office, after about two minutes everything was done and dusted. So this time I spent double time for the report compared to usual.

• Haha 1

Phuket immigration this mid day was full of falangs, and Thais without masks.

Few, very few seemed to observe or respect others trying to hold something akin to a 2 metre safety zone.

The staff for my regular 90 day reporting (unable to do it online for some reason) were busy as bees helpful kind and polite.

the squish that’s in those photos looks decidedly infectious????

Hopefully against all previous policy trends and instigations lol ???? Thai Govt will find a way to waive these germ festival gatherings and create some other reporting extension system.

if this thing gets really bad, continued exponential increases in infection numbers surely they’ll have no option but to waive and just allow folks to stay until able to leave.

its a bun fight that’s for sure!

trying to deal with a worldwide scenario that seems to have not been planned for (how in gods name do you make contingency plans for this kinda stuff!) let alone anticipated (hang on haven’t folks in the know talked of disaster scenarios like this?)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rickb said:

The Thai government should simply issue an order that automatically extends everyone's visa by 30 days.  If they are concerned about losing money, require everyone to pay after the fact when they next have to report to their immigration office.  Something similar should be done for 90 day reports.  Extend the report date by 30 days and hopefully the virus situation will be much improved in 30 days.  Such actions would not only help foreigners, but would help Thais as well by not increasing the risk of spreading the virus due to people being jam packed together.

You are thinking too sensibly and logically cos TIT .  BTW  is Bangkok still open ? thought there was a lock down ,   what do embassy's do or what is their purpose  ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1