Stranded outside Thailand - Australia

aussienam

I was at Swampy on Tuesday afternoon. 80% of flights showing as cancelled. It's pretty well over for those wanting to come or go from Thailand I'm afraid. I'd did meet a couple of young guys who were going to their accommodation to do 14 days. I don't think they understood that was the start of 'it' for them. It's going to get tighter for everyone, as it should.

One can only wonder what TI will do about those people similarly stranded outside Thailand when their O- or OA-based extensions of permission to stay expire... 

Will they need to start all over again with a new O or OA visa?

On 3/25/2020 at 9:51 PM, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

And it seems to remain unclear what the deal is for non immi O marriage visa holders wanting to return to Thailand.

Maybe check e.g Melbourne>Jakarta with KLM >BKK if you haven't already..

Being married is not on the list. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, JTXR said:

One can only wonder what TI will do about those people similarly stranded outside Thailand when their O- or OA-based extensions of permission to stay expire... 

Will they need to start all over again with a new O or OA visa?

Yes

16 hours ago, moojar said:

This week it is just sharks circling, sensing blood in the water - cashed up pr!cks trying to take advantage.  People seem to think the market has already dropped 15% - 20%.

Yeah, that was yesterday. Probably down 25% today and still falling.

3 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

1 stop at Hong Kong, who has banned all transit (https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/hong-kong-airport-bans-transit-passengers-tourists).

There are no flights as far as I can tell, except some 3-stops routing through China.

Which confirms (once again) that the guy wanting to fly to Melbourne is NOT "stuck here" ????

20 hours ago, moojar said:

This week it is just sharks circling, sensing blood in the water - cashed up pr!cks trying to take advantage.  People seem to think the market has already dropped 15% - 20%.

It may have if the stock market rout is anything to go by. I wouldn't say it's people trying to take advantage, rather people wanting a discount for taking on risk - risk the prices are down 30%. With this volatility, it's hard to price anything.

1 minute ago, Nemises said:

Which confirms (once again) that the guy wanting to fly to Melbourne is NOT "stuck here" ????

I think technically nobody is, if you increase the hops enough. I've only read of two countries with total ban of incoming flights. Which begs the question why are they offering extensions for people who are stuck, when practically nobody is 'stuck here' in the strict definition.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:32 PM, Polaky said:

I am in the exact opposite position, my flight from bkk to mel on the 31st was cancelled, jetstar offered no other solution, and i cannot find a flight back so i am stuck here.

Right now (27 March, 08:00) the following flight to Melbourne is available for about 95,000 THB:

1  CZ3082  29MAR BKKCAN 1555 2000  29MAR
  2  CZ 321  29MAR CANMEL 2110 0940  30MAR

Price is crazy (it is on economy class...) and things change rapidly so in few minutes that might also be gone...

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Right now (27 March, 08:00) the following flight to Melbourne is available for about 95,000 THB:

1  CZ3082  29MAR BKKCAN 1555 2000  29MAR
  2  CZ 321  29MAR CANMEL 2110 0940  30MAR

Price is crazy (it is on economy class...) and things change rapidly so in few minutes that might also be gone...

More confirmation he’s not stuck here. 
The guy’s Jetstar flight to Melbourne was cancelled, so (if he has it) his travel insurance should cover any additional costs for another flight. 

Edited by Nemises

8 minutes ago, Nemises said:

The guy’s Jetstar flight to Melbourne was cancelled, so (if he has it) his travel insurance should cover any additional costs for another flight. 

I'd be pretty surprised if travel insurance covered that.

• Thanks 1

News just in... from midnight tomorrow all people (ie AU citizens and permanent residents) returning to Australia will be quarantined in hotels for 14 days in the city in which they arrive, regardless of their final AU destination. 

Edited by Nemises

31 minutes ago, Nemises said:

News just in... from midnight tomorrow all people (ie AU citizens and permanent residents) returning to Australia will be quarantined in hotels for 14 days in the city in which they arrive, regardless of their final AU destination. 

Detail below...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/forced-coronavirus-quarantine-for-people-returning-to-australia/12095898

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

More confirmation he’s not stuck here. 

I don't think a standard travel insurance covers that. The insurance company will direct you to the airline which "if" they are serious will try to find another flight,if that's not possible will give you a 1 year voucher. There's also the "Force Majeure" c**p. 

7 hours ago, Nemises said:

Plenty of (1 stop) flights available BKK to MEL. 

You are not “stuck here” as you claim in Post #8.

Yes he is, Thailand are NOT allowing any foreigners in to the country unless they have PR, a work permit or are on a diplomatic passport, even with these, the conditions apply for the covid insurance and health certificate, this has been the case for a few days, so not sure why you think he is not stuck, as he doesn't qualify under the latest rules.

38 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Yes he is, Thailand are NOT allowing any foreigners in to the country unless they have PR, a work permit or are on a diplomatic passport, even with these, the conditions apply for the covid insurance and health certificate, this has been the case for a few days, so not sure why you think he is not stuck, as he doesn't qualify under the latest rules.

I think you are referring to Post #1? If so, I agree.

However, you are quoting what I said in regard to Post # 8, the latest on Poster #8 is:

He is an Australian citizen (or permanent resident) wanting to return TO AUSTRALIA.
He has nothing to do with Thailand’s latest rules for people wanting to come INTO THAILAND.

As an Australian citizen (or permanent resident) he is allowed to return to Australia. 
There are non-direct flights to Melbourne from BKK. (Per latest posts above, after tomorrow night he must now self-isolate for 14 days at the first AU city to which he arrives) 
Poster #8 is NOT stuck in Thailand...yet ????

Edited by Nemises
  • Confused 1