Stranded outside Thailand - Australia

aussienam

2 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I wish my situation was like that. This could bankrupt me. Selling the places would be a fire sale right now. Same thing as usual, the rich will scoop the properties up at a bargain price.  Yes, also no rent increases. The politicians know there are more renters than owners. So more votes.

Yeah to sell now would be disastrous.  We put our (Sydney) home on the market first weekend in March when COVID-19 was something vaguely happening in far away lands.  Fifty-two parties thru the door at the first open home. We had three offers, the realo said not good enough, let's make them sweat.  

The second weekend was good, but COVID-19 was beginning to enter the picture.   

Last weekend was dead quiet, and our best offers have been withdrawn.  (One of those people snapped up a place for $1.65m that had been listed at $1.9m)  

This week it is just sharks circling, sensing blood in the water - cashed up pr!cks trying to take advantage.  People seem to think the market has already dropped 15% - 20%.

We were due to go to auction on Saturday but those are now banned.  Reolo has asked for 'best offers', I expect we will reject them and sit back licking our wounds, try again in a year or two.  But if you were in desperate financial strife if would not be a pleasant time. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You only have your own greed to blame.

In hindsight yes, so very kind of you to point that out.  This was to be a four week campaign with an auction at the end.    

3 minutes ago, moojar said:

Yeah to sell now would be disastrous.  We put our (Sydney) home on the market first weekend in March when COVID-19 was something vaguely happening in far away lands.  Fifty-two parties thru the door at the first open home. We had three offers, the realo said not good enough, let's make them sweat.  

The second weekend was good, but COVID-19 was beginning to enter the picture.   

Last weekend was dead quiet, and our best offers have been withdrawn.  (One of those people snapped up a place for $1.65m that had been listed at $1.9m)  

This week it is just sharks circling, sensing blood in the water - cashed up pr!cks trying to take advantage.  People seem to think the market has already dropped 15% - 20%.

We were due to go to auction on Saturday but those are now banned.  Reolo has asked for 'best offers', I expect we will reject them and sit back licking our wounds, try again in a year or two.  But if you were in desperate financial strife if would not be a pleasant time. 

Thanks. Sorry to hear what happened to you. Good to luck to you.

I'm not sure how long I could hang on if renters don't pay. I endured many years of barely hanging on to keep my 2 places. My tax guy told me to sell. This is what I get for sacrificing for the future. Life goes on shuba shuba. Hopefully.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I never worry about being sick or medical service.

Happy to die when called, but hope it won't be dragged out.

Whenever I read this sort of BS I always imagine these are the people that will be crying and begging and pissing their pants when the gun is pointed at their head. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Polaky said:

I am in the exact opposite position, my flight from bkk to mel on the 31st was cancelled, jetstar offered no other solution, and i cannot find a flight back so i am stuck here.

well there are worse places to be stuck in ....    just get some p_iss from 7-11 and enjoy the change

11 hours ago, Polaky said:

I am in the exact opposite position, my flight from bkk to mel on the 31st was cancelled, jetstar offered no other solution, and i cannot find a flight back so i am stuck here.

"Stuck here"?? There's plenty of available flights from BKK to MEL.

Skyscanner.com.au

Would appreciate those wanting to have a dig at me from refraining and just hopefully have any possible solutions.  COVID19 issues have ramped up massively.  

Actually thinking about it more, buy/rent your own 747 plane like John Travolta and pilot it back to Thailand. Have you had experience flying a plane? They still let pilots in.

Edited by bbi1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

3 days ago. The only shops opened are the pharmacies, and they sell only KitKat or similar. Actually I saw protein powder in one of them.

The caretaker at the place I stay tries to help me, but last night after looking 3 hours around trying to buy food, he came pretty much empty handed, only a small pack of butter and cooked noodles, I suspect he just got them from somebody's house.

Although I woke up hungry this morning, I can't complain, I chose to come here and its a good adventure. I so far have a place to stay, I'm healthy and cashed up. I don't have dependants to worry about. The main thing is not to get sick here - either from corona or something else - otherwise one can end up in some substandard hospital and pick up extra diseases.

Some of the locals are quite unfriendly to say the least, they are blaming the foreigners for all these problems. I got kicked out from a hotel in the middle of the stay and got my money back - they didn't want foreigners there. The police and the Australian consulate helped me to get a taxi to move to the current place, as there is a lockdown and of the few remaining taxis nobody wanted to take the foreigner.

Ahh my bad, I replied to you post assuming you were in Koh Samui as your location profile suggests.

You are in India ?

1 hour ago, moojar said:

Sucks to be separated from family, but I'd honestly rather be in Oz over the coming months. 

I'm separated (not as in divorced) from my wife, as I'm stuck in Singapore...

Now if being purely selfish, Singapore is a good place to be stuck as they are doing a fairly good job of containment.

However, given the choice, I'd be back in Thailand with my wife. I'm worried about her being on her own. Plus I do actually enjoy her company ????

That would maybe change after a week or 2 of isolation !!!

Don't take any notice of the 'knockers' moonjar - you do have my sympathy. I was in the opposite situation seven years ago. I got cancer after breathing the filthy air in C Mai for umpteen years and we had to sell our palace in Saraphi in a 'fire sale' in order to return to Oz for treatment. On the market for several months at 2.5 mill and worth every cent. Word got around - sharks approached - sold it for almost a mill less than the boss wanted, but got cash. At least you still have a property in Sydney - ride out the storm and in another year it will be worth even more, not less. My dad owned two properties in Sydney and the value only ever went one way - and that is up. Does depend on the area of course. Virus or no virus, Sydney rules the roost in real estate prices in Oz. Cheers to all of you on TV who are stuck, wherever you are. Our only problem at the moment is having to use old newspaper as toilet roll !

1 hour ago, moojar said:

I sympathise! Good timing is often just a matter of luck.  Hope you sacked the agent?  But being cashed up and being a pr!ck are characteristics that are not related. It is human nature to try and get the best offer.  It is low life to be a pr!ck. They probabaly need a bigger place to store all the toilet paper they're hoarding.

1 hour ago, Aussiepeter said:

Don't take any notice of the 'knockers' moonjar - you do have my sympathy. I was in the opposite situation seven years ago. I got cancer after breathing the filthy air in C Mai for umpteen years and we had to sell our palace in Saraphi in a 'fire sale' in order to return to Oz for treatment. On the market for several months at 2.5 mill and worth every cent. Word got around - sharks approached - sold it for almost a mill less than the boss wanted, but got cash. At least you still have a property in Sydney - ride out the storm and in another year it will be worth even more, not less. My dad owned two properties in Sydney and the value only ever went one way - and that is up. Does depend on the area of course. Virus or no virus, Sydney rules the roost in real estate prices in Oz. Cheers to all of you on TV who are stuck, wherever you are. Our only problem at the moment is having to use old newspaper as toilet roll !

The knockers are actually trying to catch a falling knife. Nobody knows how the things will develop in the next 2-3 years. Sydney has massively overpriced real estate with people having massive mortgages. The prices were supported by the government and massive immigration. There are now some predictions for 15% plus unemployment, would be interesting to see who would emigrate if that happens. Just look at the photos of the Centrelink queues. Interest rates record low to 0.25%, hard to go any further down. The govt may try to hand out loads of cash to the first home buyers, but there are plenty of hands now reaching for cach. Interesting times ahead.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

well there are worse places to be stuck in ....    just get some p_iss from 7-11 and enjoy the change

It depends where you are...tourist places like Samui or Phuket soon will have mass unemployment. Our landlord in Samui warned my gf to be careful as it seems the number of people there without jobs and money is going up quickly. Heaps of people in debt too. May not be safe in not so distant future to wander around and keep any valuables at home. The places north in the sticks should be safer.

18 hours ago, timendres said:

At this point, I think you are stuck. And at midnight tonight, dear leader gets "emergency powers" to further shutdown the country. I think you are looking at at least a month or two before you can even think of getting back in.

Maybe that needs further checking, this morning there's a post sharing a very recent bulletin from Thai Elite visa to their members (I'm not a member), saying that foreigners with work permits and permanent residents are allowed to enter, but negative virus medical report and insurance still needed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gearbox said:

It depends where you are...tourist places like Samui or Phuket soon will have mass unemployment. Our landlord in Samui warned my gf to be careful as it seems the number of people there without jobs and money is going up quickly. Heaps of people in debt too. May not be safe in not so distant future to wander around and keep any valuables at home. The places north in the sticks should be safer.

you could probably say the same for most countries from now on. Almost 1 million new unemployed just hit the dole queues in Australia this week. The US and the EU numbers will be more than double that if not a lot worse. Theft and crime will rise dramatically i expect.

Edited by steven100

You mention OZ to KL and then LOS, I'm guessing you're meaning AirAsia, I booked and paid for Sydney to Chiang Mai (thru KL) depart Sydney 5 April, then flight cancelled.

I've spent several days trying to make contact with AirAsia to claim the refund. Nowadays you cannot contact them by live phone conversation, has to be on-line through their main website or their Twitter of Facebook pages.

If you can get them to respond (as above) you get transferred to 'Ava' their robot chat assistant which is a total waste of time, I reworded my chat words / phrase many times but every response 'don't understand what you mean, try again'. 

A couple of times the robot chat response was 'I need more information then I will transfer you to a live agent'. More details supplied then no response whatever.

I will keep trying.

A different point, I now wonder about booking on AA thru KL.

Malaysia is now under total lockdown, foreigners barred from entry for any reason. I found another site and asked whether this includes air passengers in transit? Answer YES, under the current lockdown foreign passengers cannot deplane in Malaysia and should be rejected at check-in in originating country. 

19 hours ago, aussienam said:

Mate it was Regency.  But don't bother unless you are working in Thailand.  Just read new link that all foreigners have been barred from entering Thailand, unless you have a working permit.  Hence why all the flights getting cancelled.  All of us stranded outside now just have to wait it out.  Going to be mighty painful.  

You kindly responded 'Regency' insurance.

Are you meaning an annual health policy or a short-term trip medical insurance which includes virus testing and treatment?

Please share, thanks.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Polaky said:

Try booking one and see what happens!!!!

According to this flight radar pic (taken just now), after you book, the plane takes off from BKK and flies to MEL - just like they’re doing in the pic. Correct?

CD2B563F-AB6D-43E2-ACC6-2201160934A9.jpeg

Edited by Nemises

2 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

Washing up liquid bottle with warm water works for me when I'm back home ????

9 hours ago, falang1969 said:

Plenty of Thai Air flights leaving for Europe tonight. I wonder how busy they are?

Capture.JPG

On 3/9/2020 at 5:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

The first problem you have is not on the list of insurance companies listed to provide the required insurance. 

See: https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

You cannot apply for an extension is less than 1 year. But immigration would only issue the extension to the day the insurance coverage ends.

Rather than changing to one of the required insurance companies many people are dumping their OA visa entry they have by leaving the country to change to a non-o visa entry.

I find this hard to believe when Thai Airways announced yesterday that they were cancelling ALL flights in and out of Thailand until further notice.

Edited by TigerandDog
correction

17 hours ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

And it seems to remain unclear what the deal is for non immi O marriage visa holders wanting to return to Thailand.

Maybe check e.g Melbourne>Jakarta with KLM >BKK if you haven't already..

Where is it unclear? It is crystal clear. No work permit no entry.