Prayut wants Thais to prepare for the worst, asks for trust in his leadership

webfact

they may feel their freedom is being eroded

Do you really think so Mr. P? Yours certainly hasn't, in fact it has expanded for you!

the prime minister stressed that more stringent measures are necessary

This is a warning!

Several weeks or months from now may be the worst time for us

Another warning, this time it will last for months, but not for him.

the situation may worsen considerably

Talk about scare-mongering.

It will affect our health, our income and our ways of life,

It already has affected the health of north Thailand with all the pollution over the years that you have done nothing to remedy. But of course, you can add all the victims of pollution to your virus statistics so that you can enforce more draconian laws and regulations!

It certainly won't affect your income, on the contrary, it will add to it.

It will affect our way of life certainly, but not yours.

In addition to the restrictions already announced, he said, without elaborating, that more will follow in the near future, which may further inconvenience people

Wait for it! More scare-mongering, but it certainly won't inconvenience you Mr. P.

He urged the media to rely on government information only, and to refrain from interviewing medical professionals

Hmmmm! I wonder why that is. Take a guess.

This may be painful for all of us

Certainly, but no worries because you will not feel the pain Mr. P.

We will weather this crisis together

Together? I think not.

Well, Mr. P. you have got what you wanted all along and now you can change the constitution again so that all the people can lick your feet! No adversaries or demonstrations allowed now – you have created a beautiful leadership for yourself!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

This is the same man who recently said that everything is under control.

A lot of the European countries said the same thing. Until things started to crash. Same with Trump saying it would go away in April with warmer weather and we all know how stupid that sentence sound now. 

This has taken the whole world by surprise, even if  WHO in 2019 published a report that the world is not ready for a pandemic, but sadly governments didn't react, because they don't want to spend a whole lot of money on something that might happen in the future. 

Hopefully the politicians across the globe will learn from this pandemic.

33 minutes ago, Diddl said:

He urged the media to rely on government information only, and to refrain from interviewing medical professionals

Hmmmm! I wonder why that is. Take a guess.

So the latest posting here is about a Thai professor who claims he has a cheap method of beating the virus.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Love him or loathe him, right now he's all that this country have to take it through this disaster, let the man do his job and history alone will judge him but right now he's the man....

Some people just like to post negative thoughts,

• Haha 1

If he really wants to make an impact they need to do two things pronto:

1. Make all testing free, especially for lower income people. They need to expand testing dramatically and follow South Korea's lead by instituting mass testing. 
2. Make sure the hospitals have enough respirators and arrange for additional space as hospitals will be overwhelmed. I read ONE article about the shortage of ventilators. He needs to talk to the foreign car makers here and order them to retool and start producing ventilators as they are doing in the US and Europe. 

I doubt they're doing this because one thing I've learned after more than 15 years here is that Thais are very poor planners and have no sense of risk management and how to reduce chances of accidents and deaths. .

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

How can a person ask for trust, when there is no knowledge of the meaning of the word? Useless!

For Prayuth to get that trust it will mean that he will have to earn it from ALL the Thai people and not just the HiSos and that will take years of transparency, hard work and telling the truth.

Unfortunately he cannot do it, as none of it is in his skill set.

8 hours ago, Chazar said:

i can see immigration next year asking for that 4-800k when their  very own banks  have  collapsed.......wont be their  problem though

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Love him or loathe him, right now he's all that this country have to take it through this disaster, let the man do his job and history alone will judge him but right now he's the man....

He has had 6 years to get his act together and it hasn't happened yet. This crisis will not make him but it may well break him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unfortunately.

• Like 1

Leadership implies leading. Regretfully the big wig does not speak English otherwise I would have suggested him to watch the Singaporean Prime Minister's speech to his electorate. 

Quiet, positive, composed, concise; that's the way he reported the (then) present status of what the Singaporean government knows, what steps had been taken and what steps will be taken and, in closing reassuring that he and his ministers would do everything possible to pull Singapore through this and would report anytime soon again on progress. 

There were not ifs and whens, people knew what the people they elected were doing. Prayut and his team of experts proved too often already that the right hand did not even know about the existence of the left hand. Within hours governors of certain provinces released rules instead of a countrywide decision; what applies in Bangkok is unknown/unheard of in - say - Mae Hong Son. Curfew yes, curfew no, from 7pm to 7am, no 5am to 8pm ....... 

Leadership requires mandatory ability to LEAD, possibly as a primus-inter-pares ahead of the flock! 

• Thanks 1

He has known about the seriousness of Covid-19 for at least 2 months now, probably longer. Only now is the government taking the necessary steps appropriate to halt the spread of the virus in Thailand. Does the governments actions to date to control the virus inspire trust?

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told the Thai people on Wednesday to expect the worst in the next several weeks or months as the coronavirus continues to ravage the country

Translation:  We f**ked up, brace yourselves.

• Sad 1

Living in Bangkok I have no choice but to have faith in his leadership. 

Having said that NYC and Bangkok have similiar populations.

I can't really fault Thailand's handling of this. Despite all the haters it appears that the Thai are doing well in this battle and it gives me pause for thought. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

Obviously the Construction Engineer in charge of the Health Ministry is providing the much needed guidance!

I listened to an English interview he had with Singapore News Channel CNA the other day. Despite my knowledge of his previous racist remarks, everything he had to say sounded quite reasonable. 

As it would be near impossible to hide if Bangkok hospitals were piling up with the sick and dead, I have to take the numbers reasonably as being truthful. Thailand is still doing well compared with Europe, USA, and elsewhere in Asia. Why that is so is something to ponder.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, expat1010 said:

He has known about the seriousness of Covid-19 for at least 2 months now, probably longer. Only now is the government taking the necessary steps appropriate to halt the spread of the virus in Thailand. Does the governments actions to date to control the virus inspire trust?

Thailands numbers? Not bad.