new rule of needing 100k $ health insurance to enter thailand , how long will it last?

thai1221

3 minutes ago, Ddbanksy said:

Now stuck in a Taipei Hotel since then,i find the medical test required to board cannot be obtained in Taiwan (Government Health legislation for a foreigner) unless i have COVID19 Symptoms.

I am also told insurance cover is 100% no chance.

Good news for you according to the posted link >

6 hours ago, esclub said:

My Cigna policy covers me for pandemics and after calling them they have issued a certificate of coverage detailing my policy includes COVID-19. 

That's great, but why would a tourist from an NHS country pay $$$ for comprehensive health care insurance?  

Then it comes down to travel insurance, and whether it covers pandemics.   And I doubt that many do.  Sadly, most folks find out the limitations only after they file their claim.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Ddbanksy said:

I arrived in Taiwan from BKK on 17th March and was refused boarding my booked return flight at Taipei International on the 24th March,only to be given notice of the new COVID19 medical&insurance requirements effective from 22nd March,at the China airlines/Bangkok airways ticket counter.T1 Departures

I half expected it but had no prior notification from anyone.

All my other documentation,advised to carry with me by Thailand Immigration on my departure,was in order.

Now stuck in a Taipei Hotel since then,i find the medical test required to board cannot be obtained in Taiwan (Government Health legislation for a foreigner) unless i have COVID19 Symptoms.

I am also told insurance cover is 100% no chance.

How mad is that.

if you are from taiwan than you are from the 16 nationalities that require this covit-19 papers.

18 hours ago, Slip said:

I have no idea why the poster who you asked for help is being so churlish and unhelpful- a decidedly unchristian attitude, however I don't think he is even correct.  This is from CAAT's website today (note the date):

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/48998

In effect nobody can come to Thailand as a tourist at the moment so the covid19 insurance is a non starter. 

On 3/27/2020 at 3:01 AM, AlexRich said:

No one can obtain health insurance that would cover them for Covid-19, so it would effectively be a ban on foreign tourists. It will last as long as the penny drops on the damage to the economy.

Given that Thailand will take an enormous hit with a lockdown, and generate massive political unrest, I doubt very much they will be discouraging anybody from spending money here.

Don't confuse a travel insurance with a health insurance for expats staying in Thailand. It's not the same thing. When the Thai government required a $100k insurence when entering Thailand,they meant a travel insurance, and $100k coverage is nothing. Every proper travel insurance covers much more than that and should also cover the Coronavirus as long as the country you visit is not on the "no go-list" from your department of foreign affairs. About 38% of tourists from the UK have no insurance what so ever when travelling abroad,which imo is pure madness.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

if you are from taiwan than you are from the 16 nationalities that require this covit-19 papers.

As the borders are closed every document is useless anyway unless you have a valid wp. 

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Don't confuse a travel insurance with a health insurance for expats staying in Thailand. It's not the same thing. When the Thai government required a $100k insurence when entering Thailand,they meant a travel insurance, and $100k coverage is nothing. Every proper travel insurance covers much more than that and should also cover the Coronavirus as long as the country you visit is not on the "no go-list" from your department of foreign affairs. About 38% of tourists from the UK have no insurance what so ever when travelling abroad,which imo is pure madness.  

As long as you have the cover for covid19 100 000usd, does it matter if its a health or travel insurance?

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 1:55 PM, esclub said:

My Cigna policy covers me for pandemics and after calling them they have issued a certificate of coverage detailing my policy includes COVID-19. 

Most international policies cover it. Mine does too.

Newly issued policies may well have an exclusion clause built in though.

34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Newly issued policies may well have an exclusion clause built in though.

Axa issues new policies that meet CAAT requirements for entering Thailand. Once the boarders reopens, they'll probably have the same rules as before.

Edited by RotBenz8888

On 3/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, dsj said:

If yo have already insurance with Pacific Cross then you can get coverage even upgrade your plan. I got an email from them yesterday saying with this.

Requirement for  US$100,000 Health Insurance  

Refer to the new restriction rule announced by The Civil Aviation Authority of THAILAND. If you require to increase your health insurance coverage to a minimum of US$100,000, a Change of Benefit Form is required to be completed (copy attached). We will then cancel your existing plan with prorated premium changes being applied and then issue a new plan. For policyholders who presently hold Maxima, Maxima Plus, Ultima and Ultima Plus Plans we can issue the attached Certificate of Insurance upon request which shows the value of coverage. 

อ้างถึงประกาศจากสำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย หากท่านมีความจำเป็นต้องเปลี่ยนแผนกรมธรรม์ซึ่งวงเงินคุ้มครองประกันสุขภาพไม่น้อยกว่า 100,000 ดอลล่าร์สหรัฐ นั้นกรุณากรอกแบบฟอร์มการเปลี่ยนแปลงผลประโยชน์กรมธรรม์ (ตามเอกสารแนบ) โดยทางบริษัทฯ จะดำเนินการยกเลิกกรมธรรม์เดิมพร้อมคืนเบี้ยแบบ Prorated และเก็บค่าเบี้ยเพิ่มตามกรมธรรม์ฉบับใหม่ สำหรับผู้เอาประกันที่ถือแผนประกันแบบ Maxima, Maxima Plus, Ultima and Ultima Plus Plans เราจะออกเอกสารหนังสือรับรอง ความคุ้มครองให้เพื่อแสดงวงเงินความคุ้มครองประกันสุขภาพตามแผนประกันที่ท่านถืออยู่

yea, I go the same form email the other day. saw it was a rule from The Civil Aviation Authority figured it wasn't a blanket foreigner requirement for those living here already. If it ever became that, the cost would eliminate me and I'm sure tens of thousand more.  Would have been nice if Pacific Cross had worded their notice to say INCOMING foreigners though.

Asking about post #22, do you happen to know if my case is the same with people having work permit? I'm a foreigner having a Thai husband. I live in Thailand but stuck in Japan now as my flight was canceled. Thanks for all your replies.

12 minutes ago, Xiao said:

Asking about post #22, do you happen to know if my case is the same with people having work permit? I'm a foreigner having a Thai husband. I live in Thailand but stuck in Japan now as my flight was canceled. Thanks for all your replies.

Wouldn't seem to matter if you are male or female. If you do not have a work permit, you have no economic necessity to return to Thailand, and therefore you will not be admitted.  You need to shelter where you are until such time as they lift the ban. I'm certain that wording was not an accident. They clearly don't want foreign family members or retirees coming back.  Only those with jobs that must be here to work.