Is it still possible to go out from chiang mai?

gal29

The air pollution here is getting worse day by day,
Air filters don't help anymore
What needs to be done to get out of here without taking a risk ?

Anyone any advice?

Yes.
we Ready to be anywhere else and stay home in isolation for two months if need...

Yes.
Know that there are chackpoint tests on the way.

Yes. 
Willing to do this in any way possible.
No. Don't offer me a private flight

No.
I don't care to hear that "next week will be  raining and everything is over"

Edited by gal29
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, donnacha said:

If you are going to do it, do it today. When a full lockdown is announced there will be very little warning, and then you're stuck.

Even in normal times, no one with options should be in Chiang Mai during this half of the year. Now, the combination of respiratory problems from the pollution and Covid-19 could be the perfect storm.

Whatever difficulties you may have now with checkpoints etc, the lockdown will rule out leaving your home for anything other than essential shopping and even then your range will be limited to around 2km.

That is the template that the WHO is now recommending to countries that are facing an epidemic they cannot handle. Sadly, Thailand is almost certainly in that category.

So, get your car packed and get to somewhere you can hunker down safely and comfortably until this outbreak burns itself out. You might even be able to find a cheap place to stay next to a beach. Good luck.

thank you!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Logosone said:

Effective Saturday, March 28th - a T8 Health Form and identification (Thai ID or Passport) is required for ALL domestic travel within Thailand. This includes flights, trains, buses and personal vehicles if travelling between provinces You *may* be requested to provide the form as well as details of your travel history at checkpoints. You can download and print the form here: https://bit.ly/2UogNQH.
mportant Note: The PDF is 20 pages but only page 19 "T.8" is being requested.

source where you obtained this (?) relevance to foreigners in country ?

To avoid the air pollution right now you'll need to go well south of Thailand.

All of north and north-east and parts of central and west Thailand are shrouded in haze at this time of year. I have calculated from published population stats that 34,344,664 permanent residents of Thailand (so not including expats or tourists) are currently enduring the heavy pollution. That is half of the population of Thailand (69,344,664 in 2020).

Imagine if everybody followed your lead...

17 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

The quality of air in Chiang Mai is just been terrible Can’t the government do something about this continual burning TIT

Yes they can. No they don't.

Some reasons:

1. No will or power to affect changes in coordination with regional nations. Nobody wants to tell another country how to manage themselves. But this is vital.

2. Too many vested interests would be affected by a ban on burning crop fields (large corporate farm owners for example).

3. Punishing small farmers and villagers for burning fields would be very unpopular with the 50% of Thai voters who live in rural areas (need those farmers' votes).

4. Preventing forest burning would require more human and financial resources than this government is prepared to commit.

5. Bangkok is only affected for a short time each year, so that's all OK with those who really matter anyway...

6-60. Add your own observations please.

Edited by Antonymous
  • Like 2

If there's one place I'd be wearing a mask right now, it would be in Chiang Mai...but to protect from the pollution, which is currently the worst in the world, way worse than notorious pollution hot spots like Delhi, Beijing and Chengdu.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, drbeach said:

If there's one place I'd be wearing a mask right now, it would be in Chiang Mai...but to protect from the pollution, which is currently the worst in the world, way worse than notorious pollution hot spots like Delhi, Beijing and Chengdu.

You would be a fool to make Chiang Mai the only place in Thailand right now to wear a mask to protect again pollution!

RIGHT NOW, according to AirVisual these are the current PM2.5 readings

https://www.iqair.com/th-en/air-quality-map

Chiang Rai 371

Sukhothai 229

Nan 196

Mae Sot 191

Udon Thani 162

Chiang Mai 207

Note that I have chosen a wide geographical spread of towns just to demonstrate this important but oft overlooked fact: the air pollution affects a vast area of Thailand. It obviously isn't JUST the towns listed, but everywhere in between and around them. About half of the whole population of Thailand is currently choking on the haze.

Regarding the sensational news that keeps highlighting Chiang Mai as the 'most polluted city in the world' this is patently untrue much of the time. Today, at this moment, is a case in point. Why is it that dozens of cities in Thailand have higher PM2.5 at any given time yet Chiang Mai is the only one listed in the AirVisual rogues gallery? I haven't asked them, but my guess is that they only select the very major cities for this particular statistic.

The Thailand pollution problem is a disaster. No doubt about that. But I would invite you to check around the AirVisual site carefully before always labelling 'Chiang Mai' as if it is the worst or only culprit.

And by the way taking average PM2.5 levels over a whole year CM ranks number 372 in the world, far from #1. Check this out at AirVisual.

image.png.e0f6950b2c636bc497b56e66dda5c56c.png

Link: https://www.iqair.com/world-most-polluted-cities

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 3:59 PM, Logosone said:

Effective Saturday, March 28th - a T8 Health Form and identification (Thai ID or Passport) is required for ALL domestic travel within Thailand. This includes flights, trains, buses and personal vehicles if travelling between provinces You *may* be requested to provide the form as well as details of your travel history at checkpoints. You can download and print the form here: https://bit.ly/2UogNQH.

Important Note: The PDF is 20 pages but only page 19 "T.8" is being requested.

I think you need to go back and read the T* form. It is for people arriving in Thailand and having to travel domestically. The questionaire does not relate to travel within Thailand only.

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

You would be a fool to make Chiang Mai the only place in Thailand right now to wear a mask to protect again pollution!

RIGHT NOW, according to AirVisual these are the current PM2.5 readings

https://www.iqair.com/th-en/air-quality-map

Chiang Rai 371

Sukhothai 229

Nan 196

Mae Sot 191

Udon Thani 162

Chiang Mai 207

Note that I have chosen a wide geographical spread of towns just to demonstrate this important but oft overlooked fact: the air pollution affects a vast area of Thailand. It obviously isn't JUST the towns listed, but everywhere in between and around them. About half of the whole population of Thailand is currently choking on the haze.

Regarding the sensational news that keeps highlighting Chiang Mai as the 'most polluted city in the world' this is patently untrue much of the time. Today, at this moment, is a case in point. Why is it that dozens of cities in Thailand have higher PM2.5 at any given time yet Chiang Mai is the only one listed in the AirVisual rogues gallery? I haven't asked them, but my guess is that they only select the very major cities for this particular statistic.

The Thailand pollution problem is a disaster. No doubt about that. But I would invite you to check around the AirVisual site carefully before always labelling 'Chiang Mai' as if it is the worst or only culprit.

And by the way taking average PM2.5 levels over a whole year CM ranks number 372 in the world, far from #1. Check this out at AirVisual.

image.png.e0f6950b2c636bc497b56e66dda5c56c.png

Link: https://www.iqair.com/world-most-polluted-cities

If you think Chiang Rai is high at 371, try the district where I am, Fang, at 442 this morning at 7.00 a.m.  At the time of writing this Chiang Rai is at 229, Chiang Mai is 188, Fang is 277. Despite all the <deleted> poor AQI readings, I'm staying put. Ig ive myself a better chance of surviving the air pollution than Covid-19 if it comes to this district.

I took the Greenbus from Lampang to Chiang Mai yesterday. No problem at all. No checkpoint between Lampang and Lamphun on the R11 but there were a checkpoint between Lamphun and C M province border. They just waved vehicles through as far as I could see though.

Got a questionaire on the bus about my health situation and personal information - but the bus hostess did not want it back and nobody else wanted it (sic)

Several domestic flights out of CNX yesterday, at least 3 left in an hour or so while I sat there.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Buy a couple of air purifiers on Lazada. Stay inside.

IMG20200127030635.jpg

Your air quality is horrible. It should not be over 25 ug/m^3 on average. 

This is literally an AQI of 125.

I think you are mixing up the pm2.5 concetration with the actual AQI as reported on Airvisual and co. 

Check this conversion table: https://aqicn.org/faq/2013-09-09/revised-pm25-aqi-breakpoints/

aqi.png

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Your air quality is horrible. It should not be over 25 ug/m^3 on average. 

This is literally an AQI of 125.

I think you are mixing up the pm2.5 concetration with the actual AQI as reported on Airvisual and co. 

Check this conversion table: https://aqicn.org/faq/2013-09-09/revised-pm25-aqi-breakpoints/

aqi.png

Possibly so. However, I think I'm better off breathing that, than the 360 readout the meter is showing if I put it outside on my balcony.

26 minutes ago, peixotorms said:

If I'm not mistaken, Japan is still allowing flights, but most likely you need to go to bangkok first.

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

Note: Visa exemptions on arrival are canceled, depending on your nationality.

Japan still allowing flights?

This is a screen cap from flightradar24 taken just now (17:00 Thailand time 29th). Seems to be just a few flights in/out japan and china. 

Obviously not as restricted as some people think.

FR.thumb.png.96ab9d1c4ed1a653f9d800fec5edd6be.png

18 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Japan still allowing flights?

This is a screen cap from flightradar24 taken just now (17:00 Thailand time 29th). Seems to be just a few flights in/out japan and china. 

Obviously not as restricted as some people think.

FR.thumb.png.96ab9d1c4ed1a653f9d800fec5edd6be.png

Correct me if I am wrong, but Chiang Mai to Mandalay flights seem to be out.

9 hours ago, Antonymous said:

To avoid the air pollution right now you'll need to go well south of Thailand.

All of north and north-east and parts of central and west Thailand are shrouded in haze at this time of year. I have calculated from published population stats that 34,344,664 permanent residents of Thailand (so not including expats or tourists) are currently enduring the heavy pollution. That is half of the population of Thailand (69,344,664 in 2020).

Imagine if everybody followed your lead...

You won't find Malaysia much better--especially when the Indonesian farmers start burning their fields and forests every year. Smaller fires dot the Malaysian landscape too.

11 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

The quality of air in Chiang Mai is just been terrible Can’t the government do something about this continual burning TIT

They could turn it off and fix the issue in one day if they were interested. They aren't! ???? 

On 3/29/2020 at 5:49 AM, orang37 said:

source ?

They have blocked off the on ramp highway 11 to road that runs along side the railroad tracks between CM and Lam Phun. Also my wife a Thai read it on her facebook. Is that enough for you to be satisfied

Edited by moe666