Thailand's tourist haven Pattaya devastated as coronavirus hits travel

webfact

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

When you spend that money in the US, you are spending it on something concrete like a home or business. The elite visa, which I believe is closer to 2 or 3 million baht, is the purchase of an easier lifestyle, but it buys you nothing but that. 

Plus a green card represents permanent legal residency and a path toward citizenship. So, it is not even a reasonable comparison. 

Are you saying gaining Citizenship is easier in the US than in Thailand?

I'd say it's much easier here, if you're married and working.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Actually months ago. We had an average of 1.3 million Chinese tourists a month during December and January. Many from Hebei province. If this thing was going to blow up here it would have happened well over a month ago. Not gonna happen. Just alot of zombie apocalypse scare mongering going on and the local population in a panic. Who benefits from that? I can think of one huge organization. 

Please do say.

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've worked as a freelance journalist for 40 years, seeing much of the world. I don't feel it robbed me of much. Rather, it enhanced it. I was my own boss to a very large extent, controlling myself and where I went. I appreciate that those who work in one place 9-5 might view things differently though.

Good for you - key point here "I was my own boss" . So, no moronic boss breathing down your neck. Exactly my point. Most aren't as fortunate as you.

However, if you were mega rich you could have the freedom to see much more of the world - with the constraints of a job. Nuff said.

57 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you saying gaining Citizenship is easier in the US than in Thailand?

I'd say it's much easier here, if you're married and working.

If you have little money it is probably easier here, though still very difficult. If you have the $500k it is a piece of cake in the US. Get the green card right away, which would be the equivalent of becoming a legal Thai resident. Then wait ten years and walla!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, sydneyjed said:

Lets see what happens with the THB the rest of this year because if it stays as high as what it is now Thais' will be scratching around like chickens up on the country farms wondering what the f..k to do!

Where there's a Tree and a Rope they will know what to do !

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How popular Pattaya is, directly dependent on the availability of cheap sex.

Family friendly = 20% drop.

No bars at all = 95% drop.

It's not difficult at all to calculate, the beach is dirty, and the sea is polluted.

Nobody in their right mind would travel there for either.

Don't exclude the complicated visa extension procedures in that 20% drop. Anyway doesn’t matter nowadays its 100% down...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

"The city in recent years has been trying to shed its association with sex tourism"

It obviously didn't work, once a brothel always a brothel...

Bit like HP sauce...????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sydneyjed said:

Lets see what happens with the THB the rest of this year because if it stays as high as what it is now Thais' will be scratching around like chickens up on the country farms wondering what the f..k to do!

Don't they most of the time anyway?

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How many straight male residents in Pattaya have a male Thai friend, for example? ...

While having a conversation with a Thai Business Lady, She said. "Oh, you've lived here a long time.  Do you have a lot of Thai friends?"  Without hesitation I replied, "Thais can't be friends with farangs - what would all their friends think?"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thailand49 said:

That is all possible that someone might come up with this idea thinking it will save lives on the road. But sadly the side of the road they drive isn't the problem it is the lack of knowledge and proper execution of the laws they already have on the books add that with the lack of enforcement.

agree completely, the problem is not driving on the left, in fact statistically there are less accidents and fatalities in left hand drive countries. The theory is more right handed people in the world and more people have stronger vision in the right eye. Not sure how true it is but the statistics are sound and the facts are accurate so why change it to make the roads "safer". The problem is not the side they drive on but all about the quality of lessons, the driving test and clear rules that are adhered to and consistently enforced. https://www.picknbuy24.com/column_331.html

13 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Hopefully traffic accident fatalities reduction >> COVID19 deaths.

Pretty much a given. Covid 19 gonna really have to step it up, as last year road fatalities averaged  >45 per day in The Kingdom. The 45/day figure comes from "the-media source-that-cannot-be-named" in BKK. This data was only for the first 10 months.

As of this moment, only 9 deaths total in The Kingdom from Covid 19. Someone might make the argument that lives are actually being saved...and not only in Thailand! IF that 45 number has been reduced due to Covid 19, that is. :biggrin:

Edited by Skeptic7

11 hours ago, 30la said:

Do not hope that the end of Covid is also the end of the tunnel, the world economy was already in depression before, now almost zero, all this caused by individuals who only play their game ...

And your degree in economics is from what university? The university of tinfoil hat crystal ball gazers?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Or perhaps they believed that as Thais they'd be immune either by virtue of being Thais or perhaps by virtue of the warm humid weather....  Sadly, I think they're being proven wrong on both counts.

Can't argue against that. The Brazilian president has the same position.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've never found any better way of finding a 'short time friend'.

It's not about the sex (over fairly quickly), it's about the playing, flirting, touching, tempting and teasing ...... and dare I say 'romance' to be had almost free of charge. 

Sad that you never understood that.

Oh I understand, it's just that I can do better and I am not alone.  My concept of romance does not involve an uncouth, crass, tramp stamped prostitute who's nether regions have been visited by people I want nothing to do with.  Many foreigners meet some decent Thai ladies, just as many  Thai ladies meet some quality foreign males.

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Have you Pattaya dwellers ever thought of taking part in local community meetings and having a say in what should be done?

Very good idea, but Thais do not welcome the input of the local foreign residents unless it is to raise money for one of their causes or charities.

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When my sister from the UK lived in Spain she was allowed to take part in local elections. Logical surely, as almost everything in the town affected her and other expats the same as the locals. Can you imagine Thailand ever allowing 'aliens' to have a say in local affairs? For one thing, they'd turn down to 100 baht bribe for voting and want 500. Can't have that sort of thing.

There are millions of foreign workers in Thailand and they are here legally. If allowed to have a say in local politics, it would  influence the local affairs and not necessarily in a good way. It is not an unreasonable position.

8 hours ago, 19DL86 said:

Yet again Mike a very accurate valid and important a point. 

Albeit contentious and unpleasant for some to stomach.  As in wars the young are sacrificed, with Covid19 this will be the old, sick and less healthy.  I believe this is very possibly a natural cleansing and rejuvenation process.  We must let it run its course, whilst also following sensible, logical precautions.  There will be heavy collateral losses.  Mostly the elderly, sick or ones with existent health issues.  Those of whom are a huge drain on most developing and third world nations.

The path which we are taking now with widespread panic, hysteria and totally unnecessary overblown measures, will without any doubt impact far far greater the entire population that would otherwise have survived the virus.  We will see widespread famine, poverty, social unrest, crime and violence.

How many times does it have to be explained to you that it is not the the old, sick and  less healthy who are suffering?

Italy has lost some of its top medical care providers. In only the north, 41 dead so far, 5000+ health care providers and first responders struck down ill. When this happens, health care systems start to fray and collapse and this is what we are seeing in  northern italy. Thousands of young people are emerging with varying degrees of lung damage: Some of which will heal over the next few years, and some of which will not  because the lung tissue was permanently damaged.  You need to understand that it isn't the flu and is called Severe Acute Respiratory Virus for a reason. It is severe and inflicts damage. Everything being done in Thailand now, is being done to keep the health care system from collapsing once the sick start seeking help. We will not see famine in Thailand and I do believe that  social order will be maintained. Poverty is already here, but the government is trying to provide some relief. There is less crime now because the  tourists are gone and people communities are watching everyone. This collapse you say will happen is unlikely.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I wonder what they are doing now. Will lockdown turn them into doing things that prisoners do?

They have sense enough to not in a million year consider you as a viable alternative honey.

Answer: where there is a will there is a way.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Don't exclude the complicated visa extension procedures in that 20% drop. Anyway doesn’t matter nowadays its 100% down...

Most visitors to Pattaya's bars ( ie farangs ) were probably on visa exempt and didn't need to extend as on holiday, like I was for most of the times I visited.

• Thanks 1