Thailand's tourist haven Pattaya devastated as coronavirus hits travel

webfact

As there's really nothing happening apart from people and businesses being able to do nothing but hide from the Virus, I'm sure I've read enough of these redundant articles about nothing happening.

I say that with sympathy for and no disrespect to the people who wrote this. It's got to be tough trying to make one's way in the news game these days when the ONLY stories in the world are related to Covid-19 and the people who are most affected by it. Aren't we all sick and tired of 99% of news being dominated by this pandemic? And I'm sure we'll all be glad to go through the sports, business or national news sections of our favorite news sources with some form of normalcy again.

The only Covid-19 news I want to see from now on is good news about it leveling off and eventually being tamed. The rest is just plain depressing. Of course one has to stay aware of the latest developments, but that's ALL I'm tuning into from now on.  

Edited by Inn Between
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

Then don't go there. Choose a different supermarket.

I am talking about the UK, a country in lock-down. You don't have that choice. I am not there to ascertain how cash only people are being handled. But the reality is, to be handing cash back and forth, while trying to avoid infection, is stupid beyond belief.

And yelling and screaming like a brat won't help.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am talking about the UK, a country in lock-down. You don't have that choice. I am not there to ascertain how cash only people are being handled. But the reality is, to be handing cash back and forth, while trying to avoid infection, is stupid beyond belief.

And yelling and screaming like a brat won't help.

Oh ok you decide to change the ground rules. You didn't mention the virus. But it's interesting that most countries can hand over cash without a problem. Or can use gloves/ sanitizing gel  without peeing their pants. This is the usual long game they (big brother) is playing to soften jokers like you to condition everyone. Temporary rapidly becomes permanent.  Ooooh - go cashless or else you will get the virus or a disease or robbers will get you. Why does the UK have so much PC and surveillance ?? Because people don't scream and shout.

Edited by Melbun
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You missed the topic? I didn't change that!

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You missed the topic? I didn't change that!

Bye now - whatever makes you happy. You just make sure you don't rock the boat and keep using pay wave. And above all don't make waves and don't yell and scream like that brat you mention. After all, you are convinced you can't make a difference. That's a good boy.

Edited by Melbun
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Melbun said:

Then don't go there. Choose a different supermarket. Scream, protest, get on the media, tell your friends, change to a political party that force supermarkets to accept legal tender (aka money). Write to the supermarkets and tell them to <deleted> off and you are taking your patronage elsewhere. Get out on the streets and burn your bra ???? - Don't be a sheep and be led by the nose. Once there is no cash - governments and banks, courts and umpteen organisations can stop your account with the press of a button or pilfer from your account.

Jokin', right?

In my town only 2 supermarkets ( I think only 2 major chains in NZ ). If both go cashless I have the choice of starvation or compliance.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Jokin', right?

In my town only 2 supermarkets ( I think only 2 major chains in NZ ). If both go cashless I have the choice of starvation or compliance.

Alas - sorry for you. Starvation is obviously not an option :-(

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:47 AM, Melbun said:

Revolt before it happens. Do what you have to. Make sure you keep using cash daily. Spread the word. Use you head and don't accept passively like a little obedient minion.

if it's declared worthless, after a particular date, then you have nothing to trade to goods and services.

I am not sure I will see a cashless society in my time, but it will happen. 

52 minutes ago, Leaver said:

if it's declared worthless, after a particular date, then you have nothing to trade to goods and services.

How did this story about Pattaya get hijacked to a cashless story?

On thing is for certain, if you are cashless in Pattaya you will have no honey.

Not that there is a Cornucopia of honeys on display in Pattaya at the moment, but I imagine waving some plastic into a telephone could magic some up in short order, so it might be of use after all.

So nice driving around though, just like 25 years ago, speeding, speeding around without a care - oh the bad class of people you meet in Pattaya. Allegedly.

3 minutes ago, MiKT said:

How did this story about Pattaya get hijacked to a cashless story?

On thing is for certain, if you are cashless in Pattaya you will have no honey.

Not that there is a Cornucopia of honeys on display in Pattaya at the moment, but I imagine waving some plastic into a telephone could magic some up in short order, so it might be of use after all.

So nice driving around though, just like 25 years ago, speeding, speeding around without a care - oh the bad class of people you meet in Pattaya. Allegedly.

I am sure many governments around the world have considered this crisis the perfect opportunity to ban cash, if only for a short period, to flush out tax evaders, criminals etc. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I am sure many governments around the world have considered this crisis the perfect opportunity to ban cash, if only for a short period, to flush out tax evaders, criminals etc. 

what do you need - sign language? this post is nothing to do with Pattaya. Maybe you are one of those who just the sound of its name has you on your knees quaking in the dust and then praying for forgiveness for just thinking about the evil things that could happen when somebody is on their knees in this (alleged) modern Sodom and Gomorrah and would be so ecstatic about closing walking street it would sit on your shoulders like a hair shirt on a stoic.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MiKT said:

what do you need - sign language? this post is nothing to do with Pattaya. Maybe you are one of those who just the sound of its name has you on your knees quaking in the dust and then praying for forgiveness for just thinking about the evil things that could happen when somebody is on their knees in this (alleged) modern Sodom and Gomorrah and would be so ecstatic about closing walking street it would sit on your shoulders like a hair shirt on a stoic.  

Are you a moderator? 

So the thread went a little of topic.  Given the circumstance we all find ourselves in, I'm not surprised.  What's the big deal? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Are you a moderator? 

So the thread went a little of topic.  Given the circumstance we all find ourselves in, I'm not surprised.  What's the big deal? 

No big deal, I just felt like driveling or maybe with two l' 's . Not surprising given the circumstances. More of an immoderator really.

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Too many oldies like me that don't have internet at home, don't use plastic, don't have a smart phone. Be embarrassing if loads of oldies died of starvation instead of corona.

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

And you know what ?when the virus ends whats the betting they,'ll leave banning cash on the books?

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Too many oldies like me that don't have internet at home, don't use plastic, don't have a smart phone. Be embarrassing if loads of oldies died of starvation instead of corona.

So how are you on the forum? 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How about reading it properly. I never said I don't have access to the internet, just that I don't have my own.

Why don't you learn to read before getting snippy? I never mentioned you not having access to the internet!

Simple question was asked......

Edited by jacko45k

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yet, if the Thai government handed out a plastic card with 5k baht on it to all the "oldies" struggling due to not being sent money every month from their kids, I'm sure they would know how to use it straight away.  ????

8 hours ago, kingdong said:

And you know what ?when the virus ends whats the betting they,'ll leave banning cash on the books?

Not sure, but you bet a lot of people that were working in the cash economy, that are now queuing up for benefits, are going to come under the microscope for back taxes when all of this is finished.  

On 4/8/2020 at 4:22 PM, Leaver said:

Here we go again !! 'If it's declared worthless' - By whom ?? You own the government !! Don't let it happen bleat, bleat !!

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

Here we go again !! 'If it's declared worthless' - By whom ?? You own the government !! Don't let it happen bleat, bleat !!

It's like a new tax.  They don't put it to the people in a referendum, because no one would vote for a new tax.  They just do it.  Now, maybe they are voted out in the next election for it, but the incoming government doesn't want to overturn it because it's their revenue now, so it basically stays forever. 

In the future, maybe governments will do like India, and announce they are changing the notes, and any exchange over a certain amount requires ID to be supplied.  What do all the criminals do with their notes then?  

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's like a new tax.  They don't put it to the people in a referendum, because no one would vote for a new tax.  They just do it.  Now, maybe they are voted out in the next election for it, but the incoming government doesn't want to overturn it because it's their revenue now, so it basically stays forever. 

In the future, maybe governments will do like India, and announce they are changing the notes, and any exchange over a certain amount requires ID to be supplied.  What do all the criminals do with their notes then?  

Money - hard cash, is legal tender - it's tangible and it has universal value. A government can't pull the rug from under citizens and withdraw it covertly. Ordinary citizens can stand up to sneaky, brutish governments in a 'free' society. It's called people power. Don't become impotent - stand up and be counted. It may never happen - but it's important that it never does. Never mind criminals - they are the minority. Governments use this strategy to persuade ordinary law abiding citizens to give up their rights 'so we can catch the criminals' BS !!

• Thanks 1