COVID-19: Immigration proposes extending visas for people stranded in Thailand to 30 June 2020

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Not if your VISA requires you to leave every 90 days.

Something a lot of us do as we like to travel and Thailand is a bit dull.

its still less hassle and expense to get an extension plus a re-entry permit. plus you get the benefit of being able to travel 'care-free' whenever you want to. i know i've done both

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

So the cabinet is flogging their dog.????

No they gunna tink about it........already have wasted plenty of time.

The proposal was submitted to the Cabinet for consideration last week but it is not known if it will be approved.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

PR is starting to look like a really good investment...

you do not invest in PR, you have to meet certain criteria to be considered for it after you apply, such as having held a job in Thailand, paying taxes, and some other sundry things.  Not available to the normal expat who is here on Non Imm "O" Visas, or extensions, or here on a O-A Visa, or its extension.  Certainly PR does not give you any rights under the emergency decree, it is not Thai Citizenship.

However, it does save you from ever having to do a 90 day report and obtain a Visa.  You do not get a Thai passport, but after many years of having PR you can try and be one of those that gets his/her citizenship.  Look how long it took the US Citizen who was raised here and pretty much lived his entire life in Thailand.....then he threw away his US Citizenship....yes threw it away, paid a tidy sum to the US to have his US Citizenship taken away...

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

What makes you think that ?  I have a non o m/e based on my UK state pension and have to leave every 90 days ( normally a border run ) and have in the past returned to the UK 2 or 3 times a year . Visa expires June but extendable to September . Been here for 8 years .

The UK immigration has given all foreigners trapped in the UK because of flight cancellations etc a visa extension to the end of May , no additional fees . Should be a reciprocal agreement with Thailand  

Should be a reciprocal agreement with Thailand .....The U.K & Thailand Do NOT have ANY Reciprocal Agreements Though !!

1 hour ago, PST said:

they were told to leave twice, once after their second extention, and once after their 7 day extension,,,but made no effore on both occasions, and never even applied for a letter. Many people simply cant face going home, regardless of the covid situation

...i was planning to return in April (3 flights cancelled/borders closed on me), i had no intention of staying longterm. Now i would rather ride out the pandemic here than back home. ????

2 hours ago, PST said:

Whist this is good for tourists who genuinely can't get home . . . .

Where would they be trying to get to?  A look at BKK departures board online just now shows lots of cancellations but still several flights today to the Middle East, Europe, Japan, Taiwan and more.  It's still possible to get to most places with a bit of effort. Better be quick though.

So, what paperwork will be required to get this extension to 30 June?  Another letter from your embassy? Signed copies of every page in your passport (this one's pretty much a given), a note from your landlord - complete with signed copies of his Thai ID, Tabian Baan and the residences Tabian Baan?  A note from your mother?

I have no confidence that they are actually going to streamline or simplify the extension process, I think that they are just going to give extra time to people who have tourist visas or visa exempt entries.

Edited by otherstuff1957
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've also done both, and would disagree that the pit of corruption known as Chiang Mai Immigration is lass hassle but it may be less expense (something which really does't concern me).

This is the only time in history that International travel has been restricted.

Did you forget about the surprise 'extensions that suddenly required worthless Thai health insurance' earlier this year? There was plenty of hassle for those unfortunate enough to start their extensions with OA VISAs.

And it's still far from clear just what those of us in the OA visa trap, who can't get insurance, are supposed to do.  The options of doing a border bounce and returning on a visa-exempt entry or of getting a new O visa from a nearby consulate are closed off at present. 

I'm legal until late July so I hope that things will have improved by then.  If not, I may have to try to repatriate - if I can find a flight.

On a related matter, does anyone know if getting a 60-day extension for the purpose of being with your Thai wife is possible from an OA visa?  Can an OA visa be extended for one year on the basis of marriage to a Thai?  I'm not clear on these possibilities.  Maybe UJ would know?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

...It's still possible to get to most places with a bit of effort. Better be quick though.

...and if you're willing to pay exorbitant prices/take the risk of more borders (transit) being closed. I've spent over a £1,000 on cancelled flights, now trying to get the money back 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've also done both, and would disagree that the pit of corruption known as Chiang Mai Immigration is lass hassle but it may be less expense (something which really does't concern me).

This is the only time in history that International travel has been restricted.

Did you forget about the surprise 'extensions that suddenly required worthless Thai health insurance' earlier this year? There was plenty of hassle for those unfortunate enough to start their extensions with OA VISAs.

oh, i didn't know you was retired.

and you have a valid point, traveling 1000s of km's, booking hotels & crossing multiple borders is certainly a lot more convenient than popping to the local office for a few hours. i stand corrected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

...and if you're willing to pay exorbitant prices/take the risk of more borders (transit) being closed. I've spent over a £1,000 on cancelled flights, now trying to get the money back 

Last minute flights are always expensive, but unless you've been somewhere devoid of any news you've been able to see this coming.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I hope they do this. Best just close immigration, except for airports, borders and emergencies. Freeze status of everything immigration for present visitors, with no penalties. Start again gently when the situation is better.

Yes a simple common sense approach, but I think Thai officials would see that akin to releasing the leg irons of many thousands of convicts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i have a current 1 year non-o extension based on 400K. can i get a 60 day extension on this instead of another 1 year? i have the funds and docs for a 1 year but i do not want to take my 2 toddlers (both thai) and their thai mother to any immigration office under current circumstances.

i do not feel its right to put my whole families lives at risk, thai citizens as well when, if i was a tourist, i could just go myself.

last year i was in the office for 2 hours. try keeping masks on a 2 & 4 year old for more than 2 minutes! unlike my wife and i they also won't have proper fitting N95 masks just cloth <deleted> that will not prevent any infection. 

leaving the kids with someone else is currently not an option.

I feel you, it is a big problem

two places I most want to avoid right now 

- immigration, I will use an agent for my "legal" 12 month extension (4k baht) until this all goes away 

- any hospital

• Like 2