COVID-19: Immigration proposes extending visas for people stranded in Thailand to 30 June 2020

Re: while foreigners who have entered the Kingdom of Thailand for a temporary stay are unable to return to their domicile or leave the Kingdom.

I thought we were all here as temporary stays in Thailand whether tourists or temporary residents, the reason we jump through hoops with all this useless paperwork every time we need to reapply for a temporary visa stay in the Kingdom each year. 

So would not this June visa waiver apply to all of us? 

BTW I often wonder why Thai Immigration force such a heavy handed requirement on us for a lot of the useless  paperwork we need to supply for visas.  

I have often thought they think we are all as corrupt as they are! 

35 minutes ago, berrec said:

Re: while foreigners who have entered the Kingdom of Thailand for a temporary stay are unable to return to their domicile or leave the Kingdom.

I thought we were all here as temporary stays in Thailand whether tourists or temporary residents, the reason we jump through hoops with all this useless paperwork every time we need to reapply for a temporary visa stay in the Kingdom each year. 

So would not this June visa waiver apply to all of us? 

BTW I often wonder why Thai Immigration force such a heavy handed requirement on us for a lot of the useless  paperwork we need to supply for visas.  

I have often thought they think we are all as corrupt as they are! 

My explanation of the Thai immigration tightening the screws in times of Covid is it this a natural bureaucratic  reaction of the governments whenever they see any social danger. Globalism, open borders, less paperwork etc - all these things will be hardly hit by this crisis. Since the idea of defending against the virus is to seclude and divide - then it is something natural that we see more and more stringent requirements from the government instead of making things easier and more open to everyone. Definitely bad times for the individual rights.

17 hours ago, Cashboy said:

Today I went to extend my Tourist Visa.

I arrived from the UK on the 29 January 2020 on a 30 day Tourist Visa.

I extended it in February and it ran out on the 28 March 2020.

I went to Udonthani immigration to extend it with my "Thai secretary".

Took:

Passport

Flight Ticket showing return flight on the 27 March

Printed UK letter requesting an extension.

Thai secretary took her ID Card.

I was told that she needed to bring her Blue Book.  That is a book that shows that she is the owner and resident of the house (address that I had given that I was staying at).

Immigration officer told me that if I did not do it today I would get a fine for overstay.

We did not have that on us so had to drive back the 40 kms to get it as well as 2 photos (normally they just take a picture using their web cam at the desk).

Charged the 1,900 bt

Extension was stamped in my passport for only 14 days.

They told me I have to go back on the 14th April and they will give me another 14 days; no charge.

Ethiad told me they will give me a new return journey flight.

However as I used a travel agent, they must do it for me.

Anyway, I checked the earliest flight by Ethiad and it is the 17 April. and the price would be more than what I payed for the return flight (19,000 bt).

I don't know if you're actually asking anything in this post, but if you wanted to be in the UK you've had plenty of time to see what was coming and get out.  I have no inside information, but wouldn't rely on getting an Etihad flight on 17th April either.

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Possibly a letter from your wife to Immigration, in conjunction with a short appearance by video link might satisfy Immigration in view of the exceptional situation. It will obviously depend on the office.

you are very optimistic

if you extend as a parent, you have to bring your child(ren)

6 hours ago, phetpeter said:

I would like to know, has this been done? In KSA when doing a visa run for 90 days, we went to the border, went out turn around without entering Bahrain ad back in. Seemed to satisfy Passport control? is that something that can be done here? If I travel to Laos. Exit Thailand and u-turn back into Thailand without crossing into Laos? I have a multi entry O Visa based on Marriage.

All land crossings between Thailand and neighbouring countries are closed. Further, if you did manage to leave Thailand, in most cases you would not be allowed to return even by air.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, emptypockets said:

And...…..?

Sorry for wasting your time reading my post EmptyPockets.

It was my experience and to warn people:

1) that if they are living at a place other than a hotel to make sure they have the original ID card of the person they are staying with and they have to supply the original "House Book" (Blue Book) to prove their address that they did not have to do on the normal 30 day extension

2) that they only stamp your passport for 15 days extension and tell you to come back for another 15 days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phetpeter said:

I would like to know, has this been done? In KSA when doing a visa run for 90 days, we went to the border, went out turn around without entering Bahrain ad back in. Seemed to satisfy Passport control? is that something that can be done here? If I travel to Laos. Exit Thailand and u-turn back into Thailand without crossing into Laos? I have a multi entry O Visa based on Marriage.

I have done this on numerous occasions with about 50% success rate.It depends solely on the imm officer when you try to get the entry stamp.Sometimes I would be told to "go to Laos get stamp" sometimes not.I've checked the law which say you must leave the country but nothing about entering another country,but it's up to the Imm Officer you get.When you are successful it saves money and more importantly passport pages.I wouldn't try it at the moment as you might need insurance to re-enter Thailand.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

After the health minister saying filthy farangs it's become a public relations exercise to not show the disdain so obviously by pretending immigration thinks fondly of the dirty farang,  hahaha, Thailand always keeps me amused.

Edited by Maestro
Removed off-topic part of the post
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, greggraham said:

No news today then? Hmmm. 

The extension reqs at the Jomtien immigration before Covid:

1. Hotel payment slip

The reqs at the Jomtien immigration during Covid epidemics:

1. Letter from the embassy (in color)

2. Payment slip from hotel booked for one month at least.

3. the letter from the hotel boss/manager guaranteeing your stay for the booked period. Promise of punishment to those who fail to fulfill that guarantee.

4. numerous photos made by farang inside the property he has booked. Photo inside the room, photo outside the hotel etc.

Now, what good news are we naively waiting for when in reality we are presented with the bad news on a daily basis?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

The extension reqs at the Jomtien immigration before Covid:

1. Hotel payment slip

The reqs at the Jomtien immigration during Covid epidemics:

1. Letter from the embassy (in color)

2. Payment slip from hotel booked for one month at least.

3. the letter from the hotel boss/manager guaranteeing your stay for the booked period. Promise of punishment to those who fail to fulfill that guarantee.

4. numerous photos made by farang inside the property he has booked. Photo inside the room, photo outside the hotel etc.

Now, what good news are we naively waiting for when in reality we are presented with the bad news on a daily basis?

Are these the requirements for a regular visa extension or the emergency extension?

Either way its awful.

• Like 1