COVID-19: Immigration proposes extending visas for people stranded in Thailand to 30 June 2020

7 minutes ago, treetops said:

Last minute flights are always expensive, but unless you've been somewhere devoid of any news you've been able to see this coming.

Not entirely true, my flights to Siem Reap (CNX-DMK-REP and back) last week were 3,200bht return, less than normal the usual cost, booked 2 days before I flew.

This is good news. I’m on a METV and don’t have much options as things start to deteriorate for my departure travel plans. If Thailand can with martial law in effect make temporary changes with respect to extensions until June 30th - that would make my situation here much more manageable. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Allowing immigration to extend ......... assume a visit and a payment to an immigration office.

Why not propose an automatic extension for everyone, no forms, no trips to immigration, no queue?

Like many other countries have done.

Agree, but who’s going to stamp the passports? 

24 minutes ago, racket said:

How about they also start discounting the Elite Visas, by at least 40%. That could be a buying opportunity for many who are stranded here. 

Given the prices airlines are charging right now, a regular price Thailand Elite visa is looking attractive. The problem is that it is not just a matter of applying and a week later you have your TE visa. The process takes months, and people need an extension of their permission to stay within days.

Edited by BritTim

6 hours ago, superal said:

Is a decision imminent ? I am still waiting for my letter from the UK embassy for a 30 day extension and my border run is due today . Thinking I will wait for 2 days and pay the 1000 baht fine in the hope that a positive decision is made by the Thai Immigration Bureau or my letter arrives soon . 

You don’t need a letter from an embassy just form TM7 with photo attached & copies of your passport & TM6.

I am due to get an extension on my 30 day tourist visa as I am in between Cat B visas. Will I require a letter from the UK embassy or can I simply get an automatic extension? Also is there any more news on how long the extension would be? Thanking in advance 

Been saying this for some time, sods law though that today I felt I shouldn't put things off any longer with my current 90 day permission to stay expiring on 10 April. So went along to local Immigration Office in Kalasin and paid the 1,900 baht for a 60 day extension. I came in on a now expired non O multiple entry visa based on marriage back in January.

Had intended no go to Savanakhet to get a new one, but of course can't do that. 

The office was busy but staff still pleasant and efficient enough and my " order" was fulfilled in just over an hour, against a displayed target time of 50 minutes. There is sometimes an advantage to living in the sticks! Only 3 other Europeans there at the same time, the rest were all of Asian appearance

Extraordinary times!

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

On a related matter, does anyone know if getting a 60-day extension for the purpose of being with your Thai wife is possible from an OA visa?  Can an OA visa be extended for one year on the basis of marriage to a Thai? 

The 60 day extension is available once on any entry. 2.24
8091121D-12B6-4E21-A7F5-97183D49DB58.jpeg.b14b5c1b2020f88da18a887a99d242fc.jpeg

you can never extend a visa. You can only extend a permission to stay. That said you can change your reason for your extension that originated with a Non OA from retirement to marriage. 

So though your term is wrong the answers are Yes and Yes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

have a current 1 year non-o extension based on 400K. can i get a 60 day extension on this instead of another 1 year? i have the funds and docs for a 1 year but i do not want to take my 2 toddlers (both thai) and their thai mother to any immigration office under current circumstances.

You should not have been required to bring the children with you unless the extension is based on being their parent rather than marriage. 

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The 60 day extension is available once on any entry. 2.24
8091121D-12B6-4E21-A7F5-97183D49DB58.jpeg.b14b5c1b2020f88da18a887a99d242fc.jpeg

you can never extend a visa. You can only extend a permission to stay. That said you can change your reason for your extension that originated with a Non OA from retirement to marriage. 

So though your term is wrong the answers are Yes and Yes. 

OK, thanks.  I don't think that there is any confusion about what i meant by extension of a visa.  Technically, once a visa expires, you make extensions of stay.  I've been here for many years so I know that.  However, my query regarding extensions of an OA visa - or permissions to stay, based on that original visa - arose because extensions from O and OA are now treated differently as the OA extension for retirement requires the rip-off, useless insurance - and not everyone can get that.

So, can I extend my permission to stay on the basis of marriage to a Thai national, based on my original OA visa, without needing to comply with the insurance requirement?  My query applies to both the 60-day 'visit wife' extension and the one year marriage extension.

37 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Been saying this for some time, sods law though that today I felt I shouldn't put things off any longer with my current 90 day permission to stay expiring on 10 April. So went along to local Immigration Office in Kalasin and paid the 1,900 baht for a 60 day extension. I came in on a now expired non O multiple entry visa based on marriage back in January.

Had intended no go to Savanakhet to get a new one, but of course can't do that. 

The office was busy but staff still pleasant and efficient enough and my " order" was fulfilled in just over an hour, against a displayed target time of 50 minutes. There is sometimes an advantage to living in the sticks! Only 3 other Europeans there at the same time, the rest were all of Asian appearance

Extraordinary times!

I got to do my 60 day extension at Kalasin immigration as well by the end of April. What exact documents did you need to get the extension?.

Thanks,

28 minutes ago, doctormann said:

So, can I extend my permission to stay on the basis of marriage to a Thai national, based on my original OA visa, without needing to comply with the insurance requirement?  My query applies to both the 60-day 'visit wife' extension and the one year marriage extension.

As I said Yes and Yes to extending.

you should not be asked for insurance if extending for marriage. Do not ask the immigration office about insurance just go in around 14~30 days before with all the paperwork for an extension based on marriage, don’t forget you will probably need both your wife and 1 or 2 witnesses.

you will not need insurance for a 60 day extension 

OK, thanks.  I don't think that there is any confusion about what i meant by extension of a visa. 

There is confusion when talking about extensions of Visas as that is impossible. Also you know what you mean but we don’t.

However, my query regarding extensions of an OA visa - or permissions to stay, based on that original visa - arose because extensions from O and OA are now treated differently as the OA extension for retirement requires the rip-off, useless insurance

The police order only specifically talks about insurance for extending based on retirement.

i know of at least 1 person who extended For marriage from an original OA entry, last year after the insurance requirement came in, he had been extending for retirement before that, he did not need insurance. This is Udon immigration, 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, roger101 said:

A good idea but done the wrong way. What happens on the 1st of July. Hundreds will be trying to extend their visas. They should have announced that all visas, work permits etc will be extended for 3 months.

If the emergency is over by then the queue will be as per normal. If its still on they just extend it for another peril of time.

So it makes sense on why everyone has different date to return for "under consideration" (21-april, 22-april, 23-april) and so forth.  It is so we don't all return there all thousands of us on the same day. ????

• Like 1