Crowding at immigration offices & precautions

Kuriko

Dear friends, I am going to the Chaeng Wattana immigration office to renew a non-B visa. It seems like there is no online option. Feeling very anxious after reading about the chaotic overcrowding situation there last week. Apparently people were queueing up and cramped together. 

may I know if anyone had been there this week and any observations to share? Would also be great if you could advise how to reduce risks to virus exposure there.

thank you so much and may you stay safe and healthy! 

If you have any Covid-19 symptoms, please tell the immigration officer so that he can make a decision what you should do.

They may even get you to the front of the line

• Confused 1

Not your location, but I just got a 60 day (due to 400k duration requirement) extension on my Marriage Visa (Non-O) in Korat... the office was VERY crowded but the staff there was well prepared for it, with both indoor and outdoor spaced seating, hand sanitizing and hand washing facilities, and a well organized queuing system... I was in and out in about 45mins... I was indeed pleased. I would assume other locations to be as well prepared.

• Like 1

A friend went to the Main Immigration Office today at Chaeng Wattana to extend his Non-immigrant B Visa.

Now admittedly, he had help from my lawyer and her very efficient man on site.

Instructing me to be there by 07.00, I left home at 05.25, planning to take the BTS and a taxi from Mo Chit.

However, as soon as he left his condo on Sukhumvit Road, a taxi pulled up and was more than happy to go there and insisted we didn’t need to take the highway.

An extremely pleasant drive, by a great driver, through empty streets, I was at Immigration by 05.50.

The doors opened at 06.00 and he made his way in.

While the line was long, due mainly to social spacing, it moved quickly and at 06.15, following a quick temperature scan (result was shared with me) I was in with my number waiting for the line-up to start at 07.00.

Downstairs for a coffee and a bite to eat, I was back upstairs at 06.50 to meet my lawyer’s agent.

Meanwhile, the Thai Immigration staff were dealing quickly, efficiently and with great finesse and politeness in dealing with all of us.

Those who had to go to Muang Than Thani, Tourist Visa Extensions, were directed to the taxis and aided in giving instructions to the driver if needed.

The line-up started about 07.00 and was announced by a Thai Immigration Officer in almost perfect English, both politely and professionally.

Meanwhile, other Immigration Officials were wandering around ensuring everyone was ready, understood the system and had the correct forms ready.

At 07.30, they started to let us in and with number 163, he was in and sitting down waiting for his case number to be called by 07.40.

Everything for Social Spacing was clearly marked, e.g. lines showing the distance to stand behind each other in line, four out of five seats clearly marked with an ‘X’, and even when dealing with the Immigration Officers at their desks, distance was clearly marked.

My documentation having been checked the day before, the benefit of using a good lawyer, when I was called in at 8.10, everything went quickly and very professionally.

I was finished by 08.30, in a taxi at 08.40, on the BTS at 09.00 and home after a bit of shopping by 10.15.

It was perhaps the best experience I have ever had at Immigration in my 20 years here in Thailand.

The Immigration Office was ready for large numbers, from my point of view, did an amazing job of looking after all of us and were carrying out their duties with a remarkable level of professionalism.

He realizes his story might be unique, he was out there for a relatively easy Non-Immigrant B Extension, had all his documentation prior approved and had the support of a great on-site agent, but all I can say to all the Immigration Officers working out there under such demanding conditions, thank-you for making the entire experience so easy, even pleasant, and for dealing with all of us, from around the world, with so much dignity and respect.

• Like 2

Wear a mask and eye goggles if you have them. Maintain social distance as much as you can. Use hand sanitation frequently.  When you return home, take a shower and wash your clothes. Use spray disinfectant on your shoes, car seats, steering wheel, any other surfaces you have been in contact with.   Good luck.  

Does anyone know how you manage to get the bank letter and statement for proof of funds on the same day if the banks open at 9am whilst having to queue for an immigration office number at 7am?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lowbo said:

Not your location, but I just got a 60 day (due to 400k duration requirement) extension on my Marriage Visa (Non-O) in Korat... the office was VERY crowded but the staff there was well prepared for it, with both indoor and outdoor spaced seating, hand sanitizing and hand washing facilities, and a well organized queuing system... I was in and out in about 45mins... I was indeed pleased. I would assume other locations to be as well prepared.

Kalasin not quite so. Mainly because it is small and so although the number of supplicants was not huge, and mostly those from neighbouring countries, not European (4 of us I recall, with our wives) it was crowded. Seat spacing? Yes. Masks had to be worn. Hand sanitizer was available but I only found it by accident. I didn't see the IOs using it between supplicants. My application for a 60 day extension took about 1 hour 20 minutes including filling up the forms, mostly waiting around with all the others in the office itself and the corridor outside. A jolly uniformed chap ( masked of course) appeared, took our temperatures and gave us a nice little sticker. Mine was normal. What would have happened if it had been raised I wonder?  I think he was urging distancing but in the space available it was just not possible. Pens were shared to fill in and sign forms, documents passed back and forth. No idea how many IOs handled my passport and my dossier but it was several before I got it back.