Tourists get automatic visa extensions

20 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Something amiss here as the 1-Apr daily brief from the government clearly said it bill was passed?

If you listen to what he said he said that it more or less that it was not completed yet.

His statement is not what makes it official since he does not represent the Interior Ministry or Immigration who are responsible for completing it and putting into effect.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Something amiss here as the 1-Apr daily brief from the government clearly said it bill was passed?

It appears that you stopped listening after "...has passed the cabinet meeting". Please listen to the video again and let it run beyond that point.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I think you will find that the majority of genuine tourists who ever visited Thailand, certainly the many who have visited me over the years, have never had a problem.
Just as the majority of retirees who live here, including myself and many friends, never have a problem.

I'd say a lot of genuine tourists (whatever that means?) are having a problem now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haljabra said:

So I'm unclear, If I came in on a visa exempt on the 7th of March from Myanmar and I am eligible for a extension do I need to go in to immigration or is that too automatic?

With the rules as they are today: You have to visit immigration to apply for a 30 day tourist extension.

Maybe tomorrow or next week the rules are different, but we can't know this yet.

On 4/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, Peter Denis said:

It's NOT those that arrived after March 1 that are in real trouble, as they can still apply for the 30-day 'normal' extension with relatively little paperwork.

But it's those that arrived before March 1, and already 'used up' the normal 30-day extension they were provided.  The requirements to apply for the 'emergency covid-19' 30-day extension are preposterous and for many even impossible to meet (e.g. the owner of the place where you are staying, has to be with you when applying for that emergency extension).

It would be funny, if the consequences were not so devastating for those confronted with this bureaucratic madness.

But  , those tourists should have left Thailand surely ? Before having problems with immigration. There were plenty of flights out of the country up to 2 weeks ago. ( I’m not criticizing just stating the obvious).

• Confused 3

35 minutes ago, geisha said:

But  , those tourists should have left Thailand surely ? Before having problems with immigration. There were plenty of flights out of the country up to 2 weeks ago. ( I’m not criticizing just stating the obvious).

Nothing was obvious. Those are your personal speculations.

1 hour ago, geisha said:

They "should have left"? What does that even mean? Surely, if the authorities wanted that then they had evicted everyone by now. They simply haven't and I don't get why certain people here seem to reason differently. Even during this crisis the people at immigration are very accommodating. To all tourists that is. I take my hat off to all the officers for calmly explaining the possibilities to every single tourist, 5 days a week, despite the health risk that comes with the job these days.

3 hours ago, Haljabra said:

So I'm unclear, If I came in on a visa exempt on the 7th of March from Myanmar and I am eligible for a extension do I need to go in to immigration or is that too automatic?

No matter what happens, no matter what you read online, always visit an immigration office before your stay expires. They're the only official channel for information about visa policies. They will then tell you what the situation is, what paperwork you might need and when you possibly have to leave. TV is a great source of information but never take any of it for granted. Not in the least because every person's situation is different and different rules might apply to you and your visa status, nationality and such. Not extending my stay because of something I read online is the last thing I would do.

Edited by AgentSmith

8 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

If the immigration and government would  like to show the world that they have any

intelligence, they would allow an automatic 60 day extension, but I

doubt very much that will ever happen.

Geezer

I doubt an automatic blanket extension will become a thing, for the simple reason that it would make it very hard to ensure that people don't accidentally go in overstay en masse as soon as the borders reopen. I think it would expose the authorities here to a sjitload of problems down the road. Just give people 30 day stamps for the time being. No more paperwork needed. Stamp, pay and be done with it. And allow all smaller immigration posts to do the same, not only the main offices. I prefer a stamped end date in my passport because it leaves no room for doubt or error.

Edited by AgentSmith

Can someone clarify? i hold US passport so I arrived under Visa exemption (30 days stay) after Mar 1. Does this mean I still have to go to immigration to get my extension to end of June? (technically i don't have a tourist visa right?) thx in advance.

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Loads of flights were cancelled, do you struggle with comprehension?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yahboo11 said:

Can someone clarify? i hold US passport so I arrived under Visa exemption (30 days stay) after Mar 1. Does this mean I still have to go to immigration to get my extension to end of June? (technically i don't have a tourist visa right?) thx in advance.

My suggestion would be that you should read and heed this advice published by the US embassy in Thailand on 2 April 2020:

Transportation Into and Out of Thailand
We advise temporary visitors in Thailand to arrange for immediate return to the United States while there is still an opportunity.  There are no plans for U.S. government-organized evacuation flights.  All flight routes are subject to cancellation without notice, and many flights are heavily booked.  Hub countries with connections to the United States are also imposing increasingly strict requirements.  Beginning midnight local time on April 3rd, Japan will no longer allow arriving passengers from the U.S. or Thailand to enter the country.

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-bangkok-thailand-april-2-2020/

Already on 26 March, the US embassy published this advice:

Flights out of Thailand:
There are currently 53 weekly flights from Bangkok connecting to onward flights to the U.S., about a 50% decrease from last week.  More flight cancellations are expected in the days ahead, and remaining flights may be heavily booked.  We advise temporary visitors in Thailand to arrange for immediate return to the U.S. while there is still an opportunity.

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-bangkok-thailand-march-26-2020/

• Like 2

I saw on Flightradar last night a BA 777-200 (ER) fly up from Singapore and land in BKK at about 6.45 pm. (Straight in, no fannying around in ever decreasing circles). I guess it was due to fly on to London.... . Anybody know?

18 hours ago, Maestro said:

It appears that you stopped listening after "...has passed the cabinet meeting". Please listen to the video again and let it run beyond that point.

I heard the guy say at 40 seconds into video "there is no need to queue en masse".

So it seems nothing has changed until it changes and I should have heard ""there will be no need to queue en masse" in future.

8 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Genuine tourists (whatever that may mean) arriving on a 60-day tourist Visa that planned to stay longer and already received their 30-day extension, are now in trouble.

Some goes for those on a MultiEntry TouristVisa.

As well as for those that planned to stay 8 weeks, arrived VisaExempt and already received their 30-day extension.

All of the above are 'genuine tourists' but entered Thailand before 1 March.

So 'making it easy' for those that arrive after 1 March does not help a lot because those having arrived then are still eligible for the 'normal' 30-day extension (which requires little or no paperwork).  In contrast the categories I mentioned higher - which mind you are also genuine tourists - are now confronted with no mercy and horrendous additional requirements to get the emergency extension.

There is imo rightful outrage on how they are treated, and excuses like 'national security' to right-talk it are just ridiculous.

I think what Denis is alluding to are those "tourists" who take advantage of those options who aren't really tourists in the normal sense but people who have an interest in multiple visits but, as is commonly known, don't qualify for "long stay" visas, annual extensions.

Edited by Mapguy

15 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

They "should have left"? What does that even mean?

The crisis had already started and travel restrictions were being put in place worldwide.  With a bit of forward thinking, anyone who couldn't, or didn't want to, stay in country for a few months should have left.  There were plenty of opportunities at the time, some of which still remain.

34 minutes ago, DoctorZaius6 said:

When are they likely to announce this officially? Or are they talking absolute <deleted>?

Hopefully next week.

Immigration wants it approved and finalized but it has to go through the bureaucrats at the ministries involved,

14 hours ago, Maestro said:

My suggestion would be that you should read and heed this advice published by the US embassy in Thailand on 2 April 2020:

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-bangkok-thailand-april-2-2020/

Already on 26 March, the US embassy published this advice:

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-bangkok-thailand-march-26-2020/

if u want to fly to the US, go for it.  I rather stay in Asia. Maybe u should try answering the question than issuing your opinion

11 minutes ago, Chicken Man said:

Sick of reading about rich fukin tourists moaning about their visa problems and stuff in Thailand. Why were they so stupid to go on holiday during a pandemic? And now they want some special treatment from gvmnt here. Fuk them! They have money. Their families in the west have money. They have been ignoring the social distancing, carry on with their parties... and fuk them for it. I have ZERO sympathy for them. They had many chances to leave. My sympathy is with the working Thai families. They suffer now REAL hardship.

Do you think it's a good idea to travel half arround the world in an ongoing pandemic?

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hopefully next week.

Immigration wants it approved and finalized but it has to go through the bureaucrats at the ministries involved,

I will give out odds of 20/1 that it won't be free. It won't be "automatic" and it will involve visit to immigration.

The thread statement of "Automatic extensions for tourists" is ridiculous.

I hope I'm wrong. To my mind it's fake news. Yes there will be something. Let's hope tad improvement on the folk applying for second extension.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2