Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Are you really ready for two years of this?

Jingthing

8 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

OK, so going for a drive’s OK provided I stop off at a supermarket instead of staying in the car. Which do you think is going to expose people to a greater risk of virus transmission?

The act of driving the car is the same level of risk either way, but going for essential shopping could be considered as necessary whereas "joyriding" is not.

So overall, the shopping trip could be considered a calculated risk but the joy ride is just foolhardy. (Please see my comments above about WHY driving the car is considered risky in present times)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Spanish flue killed millions and people carried on.

Here’s a report about the economic impact of the Spanish Flu.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/pandemic-economy-lessons-1918-flu/?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+inside-the-world-economic-forum+(Inside+The+World+Economic+Forum)&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner

would be interested in knowing your source for saying there was no economic downturn.

12 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is however the only real solution;
let nature take its course even if tens of millions of people will die faster than expected.
There are too many people on this earth who can no longer bear it;
would you prefer a big meteorite to crash and kill 1 billion?

What is 10 or 20 million compared to 7 billion?
It's peanuts
and at least the world economies would continue to function normally because the vast majority of those who must die are retired (I am one of them)

No thats not the only real solution. Its quite fortunate you are not a decision maker !

As soon as you compare the response to controlling this virus and limiting its spread to something which is completely out of or control, such as a ‘big meteorite’ you’ve lost any semblance of intelligent argument. 

(you meant asteroid by the way !).

Cancer kills about 10 million people each year, about $90 billion has been spend on fighting cancer, yet we are still unable to cure it or control it with any firm degree of predictability. 

Everyone knows someone who has been severely impacted by cancer, either died or had their life turned around. 

These are the numbers you are talking about Assuranctourix - it is acceptable to you for someone you know to have their life turned around. Maybe not because perhaps you don’t know many people - with such disregard for the wellbeing of others it would no be surprising if you didn’t have many friends. 

12 hours ago, Henryford said:

I am assuming that Pattaya/Thailand will be pretty much wiped out for 2020. I doubt they will get a vaccine any time soon either. They haven't for the cold/flu/HIV virus in 100 years. Eventually they will have to raise the lockdown and accept the impact of further infections. The longer they leave it the more people will suffer.

Women it Pattaya accept their fate. They live with being a circus 9f communicable disease. They don't care at least ignore the fact they might be carrying hiv over the last decade. They don't care about this virus. They want money and they don't care the damage they cause along the way.

Their families have resigned that they prostitute themselves and may very well contract HIV, hepatitis, syphilis or cervical cancer.

Wake up Pattaya isn't Chidlom or Ratchaprasong or wherever Bangkok. Pattaya is where people go to essentially die to put it bluntly. Prostitution in Pattaya doesn't need to reopen any time soon.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

Occasionally I make a reference to one of the main reasons that I can live well in Thailand.

The health care system may not be "first world"  to some expats,  but I have found it capable

enough and VERY AFFORDABLE.   

The hardships to come as the virus runs its course will certainly see health care destroy the

quality of life for millions.  I have never seriously considered moving out of Thailand back to the States because ( other than the fact i don't like it)  I would be bankrupt after a week in a hospital.   Now a large percentage of those who thought the tens of thousands of dollars they have paid for health insurance would protect them are facing some hard truths.

https://news.yahoo.com/looming-collapse-private-health-insurance-095002916.html

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, VBF said:

The act of driving the car is the same level of risk either way, but going for essential shopping could be considered as necessary whereas "joyriding" is not.

So overall, the shopping trip could be considered a calculated risk but the joy ride is just foolhardy

So, to stay within the law, I’m forced to visit supermarkets more often than I would have. Not very smart.

1 minute ago, CygnusX1 said:

So, to stay within the law, I’m forced to visit supermarkets more often than I would have. Not very smart.

How the **** do you work that out from what I said? Or am I missing some deep-rooted sarcasm?

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

You are already accepting the possibility of death by a multitude of more likely illnesses, starting with cancer.

Why would you want to make a special case for the coronavirus?

Few healthy people view death as an immediate probability.

No, I’m just pointing out that a “joyride” becomes legal if I go to a supermarket to track down some toilet paper. Hence instead of 2 trips, one just going out for a drive, nowhere near any other people, and the other going to a supermarket and being near people, I have to visit a supermarket on both trips, doubling my risk of transmitting the virus, should I be infected. Hope that makes it clear. I’d much prefer to obey the spirit of the law instead of the letter of the law.

Sorry, have to go to bed now, Cheers.

Edited by CygnusX1

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Domestic violence IS increasing and that's from the news, not talkback, and vigilantes not being arrested IS a breakdown of law and order. It is here and now, not in the future. Police are warning of an increase in breakins and not nearly enough cops to do much at all to stop it.

Don't really care about this issue anywhere in the world. Of course I don't want anyone being given a thrashing. Love the one you're with or leave. Sticking around...yeah feminist have 60000 excuses.

Anything in life if you don't like it go. But you're dumb enough to be living with a bad man that pays your bills. Well tough choices.

Cops. You must not be taking about Thailand bc there is zero proactive policing.

Yeah it's gonna get ugly. Suggest you remind your wives and GF who's paying the bills. Love and care for the women around you or move them on.

1 hour ago, chessman said:

Models predict that the virus will peak in the worst hit countries this month. If that happens, then along with greater scientific knowledge things will start to get back to (kind of) normal this summer. 

Kind of, as you say...

By summer, still 3 months away, there will be no more economy to speak of, hundreds of millions of unemployed and countless more having joined the ranks of the poor.

As soon as the doors will open, criminality will explode, because people will be desperate and will have no other choice, not to mention the many that will seize the opportunity as usual...

Kind of...

I'dd rather have a lifelong deadly virus pandemic than return to my life in the UK.  Waiting for the next dole payment only to find they have cut me off again.  Getting attacked by feral teenagers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

No, I’m just pointing out that a “joyride” becomes legal if I go to a supermarket to track down some toilet paper. Hence instead of 2 trips, one just going out for a drive, nowhere near any other people, and the other going to a supermarket and being near people, I have to visit a supermarket on both trips, doubling my risk of transmitting the virus, should I be infected. Hope that makes it clear. I’d much prefer to obey the spirit of the law instead of the letter of the law.

I 100% agree with your last sentence!

What I was pointing out is that going to a supermarket for essentials could be considered necessary and within the spirit. If you're going to the supermarket, BECAUSE YOU NEED TO,  the trip is not a joyride, however if possible, it would be better to only make 1 visit to the supermarket not 2. Obviously that's not always possible but where it is..........

Edited by VBF

20 minutes ago, Dap said:

Few healthy people view death as an immediate probability.

Yet healthy people yesterday wake up tomorrow with a cancer, and from then on death is much closer...certainly much closer than if they had caught the virus...

• Like 1

Just on the deaths. Every day the number of dead grow which doesn't seem to worry some people.   While it's numbers listed in a news post it doesn't really matter

....until of course it's someone close to them....or maybe it is them....then, I am guessing, in the after life they can tell the other spirits how unimportant the numbers listed really are.  Every life lost is a d@mn shame.

13 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is however the only real solution;
let nature take its course even if tens of millions of people will die faster than expected.
There are too many people on this earth who can no longer bear it;
would you prefer a big meteorite to crash and kill 1 billion?

What is 10 or 20 million compared to 7 billion?
It's peanuts
and at least the world economies would continue to function normally because the vast majority of those who must die are retired (I am one of them)

Go ahead, dear leader

Please be the first to die

And no one mentions anything about the imminent threat of 'climate change'. Instead the narrative moves from one hysteria to another.

After 9.11 we got the Patriot Act and the world changed forever and so too the world will change after covid.19

“Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.”

There's more to the story than a random Chinese eating bat-soup.

Thailand produces it's own food which to me is a factor.

Hospitals wherever you go arent able to cope, from America, UK, European Countries , Thailand. There's no cure..so the plan is not get it!

I think there's a false sense of security back in the old country wheather you're a brit, american or random european.

You're on familiar soil but the hospitals will be swamped there as in any country and you could easily find yourself homeless if you don't have something already planned.

You could live really cheap in Thailand if you wanted to. 

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Expecting a vaccine any quicker than 18 months is not realistic either.

We won't necessarily have to wait for a vaccine. There are some promising drugs, cheap and easy-to-produce, that will likely be made available within 4-5 months that will lessen the severity of the corona virus. So for most patients, instead of dying, they will just fall sick for a while.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Kind of, as you say...

By summer, still 3 months away, there will be no more economy to speak of, hundreds of millions of unemployed and countless more having joined the ranks of the poor.

As soon as the doors will open, criminality will explode, because people will be desperate and will have no other choice, not to mention the many that will seize the opportunity as usual...

Kind of...

Of course there will be an economy. There have been huge financial crashes before. Societies recover.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Still people comparing this to seasonal flu and saying more die on the roads...its these idiots that go out mingling like nothing is happening that have made a bad situation worse. A real estate agent in Pattaya is in hospital with all her family, check her FB, was in the Land office, with customers a week ago. A restaurant doing take away in Bang Saray is doing selfies of herself with the customers, no distancing and no need for taking pictures...absolute idiots that are gonna spread this virus through stupidity.

FB_IMG_1585957892350.jpg

FB_IMG_1585957866426.jpg

The problem with these cheap Ineffective face masks is that it gives the people wrong feelings of security and so they come standing to close to others. Also Most people touching their face masks with their hands and therefore possibly infecting themselves !

8 hours ago, VBF said:

I repeat what I said earlier. If I CHOOSE to Scuba dive (I have) or smoke, or eat badly it's MY CHOICE.

Catching a virus is NOT my choice  -I cannot fathom why you cannot see the difference.

Because yr logic is flawed. Me playing tennis doesnt give you Corona.

1 I dont have Corona

2 Im playing tennis 1000 miles away from you.

Lets stay calm and think about things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Just on the deaths. Every day the number of dead grow which doesn't seem to worry some people.   While it's numbers listed in a news post it doesn't really matter

....until of course it's someone close to them....or maybe it is them....then, I am guessing, in the after life they can tell the other spirits how unimportant the numbers listed really are.  Every life lost is a d@mn shame.

So why dont they address the road toll or heart disease?

Combined they kill 19.25m a year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VBF said:

Agree!  And another point is that IF you have an accident or the car breaks down, in the normal course of events it's probably a minor inconvenience.

Currently, you may take an ambulance or police away from something more important, or, in the case of breaking down, a recovery person may have to be exposed to you, in case you are a carrier.,

Irrational stuff. The roads are quieter now. If people need a drive they should have one. Accidents are caused by idiots not sensible people.

It's quiet simple. If they cared about lives why sell high powered machines?

There is no logic going on with this Corona nonsense.

How bout banning high powered machines and junk food.

Would save 10m lives a year.