Are you really ready for two years of this?

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooo, you think people will stay at home and when the money stops because they don't have a job and the government runs out of money to give everyone the dole they'll just quietly starve to death ( if they haven't been evicted for not paying rent/ mortgage )?

The IMF has already said it's recession, but I'm thinking depression. IMO once people wake up to reality they'll force the government to do herd immunity.

Already in NZ shelters for people fleeing domestic violence are reported to be filling up, anarchy reigns as vigilantes take to the roads ( and the police won't step up to stop it ), and people see their jobs and their future vanishing and its only been one week. They are talking about extending the lockdown possibly for 3 months, but by then there won't be much left to start over with.

Anarchy reigns in New Zealand? Really?

Just now, XB12X said:

That newspaper article was certainly good for selling copy. Completely ignores the fact that hydroxychloroquine is being used in China and Korea to good effect and that factories are opening up again in China. Yes, we all know China lies but this can be seen.

Well the Chinese factories won't be selling much to the west, as possible not many western people will have jobs and won't have money to buy anything not essential. Anyone that used to work in international tourism is going to be <deleted> now.

The most recent I heard about hydroxychloroquine is that it's not actually proven yet. Still being investigated.

4 minutes ago, chessman said:

It is a false choice, lives or the economy? If you let this spread and ‘run it’s course’ the economy would tank too. 

The economy didn't tank during the Spanish flu pandemic... 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XB12X said:

Anarchy reigns in New Zealand? Really?

When the cops won't enforce the law I call it anarchy. I'm not saying that the gangs are roaming the country looting and stealing ( yet ), but it's really bad when the cops and the government won't enforce the law on certain people while keeping everyone else locked up.

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

67 sqm is a coffin as far as I'm concerned. Far too small to be comfortable.

Well, you won't have many options besides comfortable and dead, your call :dry:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Why arent fast food joints locked down due to heart disease. 18m deaths a year.

Indeed. The same goes for private car ownership- how many millions die of car accidents every year?

BTW, in NZ fast food and takeaway places are all closed.

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Different times, 100 years ago probably 50% of the world population were producing their own food.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

most economies grew then because they were producing things for the war. American cities that had more steps in place to force distancing were able to recover more quickly

Jingthing 

Dont be so pessimistic- things have moved on with HIV - is anyone obsessed with it now? The wealthy countries have it under control- so who cares. Only affects poor people 

Different kettle of fish with the new virus - the markets have collapsed - Wall st. in melt down - that is the difference- the wealthy corporations  are suffering . 

Vaccine on the way soonish ( I hope so ) 

14 hours ago, mstevens said:

Yep, there is going to be a very long timeframe on this and when we do come out of it in 18 - 24 months from now, the world will be a very different place. Asset prices will have been hammered, unemployment high and probably a much smaller number of businesses operating than today.

Personally, I am happy I am not in Thailand at this time. If things get really bad there, I wouldn't want to be a foreigner there. But that's me, and I understand the arguments that some might prefer it there, especially if upcountry with Thai Mrs and family. But in a big city like Bangkok that is in lock down for 1 - 2 years? No, thanks!

Don't be so pessimistic. Herd immunity will kick in eventually and a vaccine will probably be available before that maybe early next year if we can trust the info. 

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

20 years ago definitely not.  but thanks to the internet i have access to a world of entertainment and information

That is until the manpower necessary to feed your electrical needs recedes and the internet (Oh My God) disappears. Just something to consider :wai:

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you really think after 3 months everything will just carry on as before? I don't.

Horse racing is on now. Just space people out.

Silly politicians if they dont work out a plan. Nitwits.

15 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Why arent fast food joints locked down due to heart disease. 18m deaths a year.

Presuming you mean in normal times (?) and that you're not being sarcastic or flippant, the answer is simple: You have a CHOICE to go to a FF restaurant and weaken your health, or eat better and retain it. 

You do NOT have a choice to avoid Covid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mstevens said:

But in a big city like Bangkok that is in lock down for 1 - 2 years? No, thanks!

I'm surprised that anyone would think it would be possible to lock a city down for 2 years. IMO that woudl just not happen. I don't even see how it would be possible. The government would run out of money long before that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:

Presuming you mean in normal times (?) and that you're not being sarcastic or flippant, the answer is simple: You have a CHOICE to go to a FF restaurant and weaken your health, or eat better and retain it. 

You do NOT have a choice to avoid Covid.

Yes you do. Wash hands, stay 2m from others.

8 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

another theory of mine, which is kind of opposite, is that people will just keep getting re-infected until the body cannot take it anymore, so eventually the population is just wiped out

Nice one Cyril, Nice one Son, Nice one Cyril, lets have another one !!!!

(UK football fans will get it)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UbonThani said:

Yes you do. Wash hands, stay 2m from others.

Oh and that's a guarantee is it? 

There's no way you could already have been infected? 

I responded to your risible comparison between the CHOSEN risk of problems due to eating "junk" food and the INVOLUNTARY infection by an invisible virus.

Get it now?

7 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Horse racing is on now. Just space people out.

Silly politicians if they dont work out a plan. Nitwits.

Have you ever known a politician that wasn't? Far as I know most of ours have never worked a day in a real job- no idea what it's like to be poor, hungry or homeless.

They should have had a plan since Ebola was first known about, but they obviously didn't.

• Like 1