Are you really ready for two years of this?

Jingthing

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soooooo, one locks down when at home with family, but one person goes to supermarket and catches it there, comes back to house and whole family catches it.

SO, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF BEING IN LOCKDOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE?????????????????

Good one!!! The probability of 1 person catching it in 1 supermarket are less than 5 people from the same family going to 5 different places and mixing with 5 different groups of people.

Simple math really ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Supermarket higher risk than tennis courts!!!!lets ban tennis 555 silly stuff.

It's exercise so not silly. I had a younger than I friend that died because he didn't get enough physical exercise ( he wasn't obese ).

I used to go out to a farm and do a lot of physical work, like shovelling dirt, but now the most I do is walk to the supermarket.

1 minute ago, IvorLott said:

What is the point of this speculative post but to produce more speculation and misinformation in these uncertain times? 

If you think it's ok to follow sheepishly the official narrative, rather than discuss it, then go for it .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Think. Adults use their brain to choose. Just like drinking or smoking or eating.

Adults can asses the risk of flying or scuba or sky diving or tennis.

Its not rocket science.

I repeat what I said earlier. If I CHOOSE to Scuba dive (I have) or smoke, or eat badly it's MY CHOICE.

Catching a virus is NOT my choice  -I cannot fathom why you cannot see the difference.

• Like 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:
3 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

What is the point of this speculative post but to produce more speculation and misinformation in these uncertain times? 

If you think it's ok to follow sheepishly the official narrative, rather than discuss it, then go for it .

Agreed. The very nature of forum is to discussion things, its interesting to see how peoples opinions differ. If someone wishes not to discuss or not to read speculation and various opinions from various sources of information (or misinformation) then I’d ask what they are doing here in the first place - go read the news. 

It's also interesting to see how so resistant to anything official some people are they’ll resist anything official now matter how sensible. 

The threads on this subject have been particularly interesting when they highlight just how selfish some people are, how careless of others they are and in a number of cases how galactically ignorant and stupid some people are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the problem. Everyone is thinking about themselves and forgetting they are not the only people in the world.

You can’t transmit the virus from inside your car. But, what if everyone else wants to go for a ride in their car, why should you be allowed to and them not? then who has to fill up with petrol, who may decide they are tried and need to stop off for a coffee, go to the public restroom, block up the roads for essential services (were at a time of pandemic). 

Many of the measures and bans in place don’t make sense on the individual level, but make a lot of level when you have 10’s and even 100’s of thousands of selfish people continuing to demand their freedoms. And for what? what cost? 

Agree!  And another point is that IF you have an accident or the car breaks down, in the normal course of events it's probably a minor inconvenience.

Currently, you may take an ambulance or police away from something more important, or, in the case of breaking down, a recovery person may have to be exposed to you, in case you are a carrier.,

13 minutes ago, UbonThani said:
14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soooooo, one locks down when at home with family, but one person goes to supermarket and catches it there, comes back to house and whole family catches it.

SO, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF BEING IN LOCKDOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE?????????????????

Supermarket higher risk than tennis courts!!!!lets ban tennis 555 silly stuff.

Because tennis is a necessity right, it feeds the family, it is essential... Yes, silly stuff indeed.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the problem. Everyone is thinking about themselves and forgetting they are not the only people in the world.

You can’t transmit the virus from inside your car. But, what if everyone else wants to go for a ride in their car, why should you be allowed to and them not? then who has to fill up with petrol, who may decide they are tried and need to stop off for a coffee, go to the public restroom, block up the roads for essential services (were at a time of pandemic). 

Many of the measures and bans in place don’t make sense on the individual level, but make a lot of level when you have 10’s and even 100’s of thousands of selfish people continuing to demand their freedoms. And for what? what cost? 

So, why can't people that work alone not do their job? Why can't a man cut the grass on a golf course green when he'll be all alone? Without being cut the greens will be ruined. Many similar jobs that involve no risk to others.

BTW, in NZ public restrooms are closed, so truck drivers have to poo on the side of the road- that's a health risk. No coffee shops open, have to fill car yourself and give money through the night window- shop closed.

• Like 1

Just now, CygnusX1 said:

You’re talking about an extremely small probability, and the roads I drive on always have little traffic.

So it's all about you is it?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's also interesting to see how so resistant to anything official some people are they’ll resist anything official now matter how sensible. 

Well, i agree with you in general, but right now, there is apparently a fierce debate, among world scientists, on how long the virus can stay and transmit in the air.

We have to be vigilant, even the official narrative can change from one day to another.

12 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

I don't believe it will take 18 months to 2 years for a vaccine. With the collective minds of scientists the world over working on this, I believe it will take no longer than 6 months. Necessity is the mother of invention. The old way may have taken that long, but the world is making new history by the day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VBF said:

So it's all about you is it?

Of course it is. I met very few, if any people in my life that did anything if it wasn't in their own best interest.

If Kennedy made his famous speech now ( ask not what your country can do for you etc ), people would probably think he was crazy, IMO.

Just now, CygnusX1 said:

No, it’s all about politicians having a bit of common sense and putting their brains into first gear before coming up with clearly unreasonable laws.

Normally I'd agree with that whole-heartedly but given that this is unprecedented in its severity, I'd say that we're all struggling for the right approach politicians included.

If even the medical and scientific community don't all agree what chance do the the rest of us have? 

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I don't believe it will take 18 months to 2 years for a vaccine. With the collective minds of scientists the world over working on this, I believe it will take no longer than 6 months. Necessity is the mother of invention. The old way may have taken that long, but the world is making new history by the day.

Some things can't be rushed. If they put a bad vaccine into use it may ruin more people than the virus will kill.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course it is. I met very few, if any people in my life that did anything if it wasn't in their own best interest.

If Kennedy made his famous speech now ( ask not what your country can do for you etc ), people would probably think he was crazy, IMO.

Sadly, I have to agree with that - and we were having such a good argument! ????

1 minute ago, VBF said:

Normally I'd agree with that whole-heartedly but given that this is unprecedented in its severity, I'd say that we're all struggling for the right approach politicians included.

If even the medical and scientific community don't all agree what chance do the the rest of us have? 

Ah, so not 97% agreement among the scientific community then?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, so not 97% agreement among the scientific community then?

Is it? Can you support that worldwide 97% of the scientific community agrees on everything Covid-related?

1 minute ago, VBF said:

Sadly, I have to agree with that - and we were having such a good argument! ????

I'll go further; if many of the ones supporting lockdown were to potentially suffer bankrupcy, loss of home and marital destruction etc I bet they'd be changing their tune. I'd hazard a guess that many are retired and have a secure income, so not much to lose by watching tv for a month or three.

I'm prepared to catch it and die rather than be locked down, and I can't give more than my life, can I?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some things can't be rushed. If they put a bad vaccine into use it may ruin more people than the virus will kill.

"some things can't be rushed" takes on a different meaning in the current crisis. The FDA is already rush approving drugs in the US.