For the cooling experts

Susco

I have a large side by side Samsung inverter fridge/freezer.

I have a thermometer, with display outside, in the freezer compartment.

Normally it would freeze to -23 C, then cycle between -23 and -18, and once every so many day it would go to as low as -12 - 13 C and then start the same cycle again.

Lately I notice it still reaches -23C,  but now cycles 2 or 3 times a day to -10C and then back to -23C. The motor is running constantly at a low pace/noise, where I think in the past it would stop completely for an extended period of time, but maybe that is just i my imagination

I defrosted the tray in the backside where the water is released when the cooling element get defrosted, as I know they tend to freeze up, but it wasn't actually holding any ice.

All rubbers seem to be in order, as I don't see any damp or ice around the door closure or inside the freezer.

Yesterday early morning we had a power cut for a few hours, and I had the feeling that the temperature would rise much faster as during previous power cuts.

This morning I did a reset, by holding the power freeze and power cool button as instructed on the web, and that seemed to have sorted it for the biggest part of the day, but now it is back to the big cycles.

Any suggestions before I call the Samsung technicians in?

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Sounds like the thermostat might be playing up. Not expensive and usually easy to change. Might be worth trying a new one.

Yes that is also my impression. Any suggestions how to check if it is faulty, and where it is located?

Get onto Google and find how to access the error codes on your model. (usually as simple as holding down 2 buttons on the display).

The error code will telll you the problem (usually), which is most likely the thermostat - an easy replacement.

On my model the thermostat is under a small panel - part of the interior light fitting.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1

Just now, chickenslegs said:

Get onto Google and find how to access the error codes on your model. (usually as simple as holding down 2 buttons on the display).

The error code will telll you the problem (usually), which is most likely the thermostat - an easy replacement.

I looked for that already, but I didn't find anything related, maybe you want to be so kind to help me ?

The model is RS554NRUA1J/ST

Your refrigerator will almost certainly be using sensors to send temperature values to its electronic control. There can be several sensing points depending on the control complexity.

These sensors change their resistance value as temperature changes and can go faulty or suffer from poor connection. The electronic controller will normally show fault if the sensor is providing unusual values but not in all conditions.

I suggest you let Samsung service check the control system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Yes that is also my impression. Any suggestions how to check if it is faulty, and where it is located?

Soz no. Every model is different. If you have the exact model number there'll be something on the net.