Tesco To Invest $217.4m In Thailand Expansion

Tesco to invest $217.4m in Thailand expansion

(MENAFN) Officials at the Thai unit of Tesco Lotus, Britain's largest retailer, said that the company is planning to invest about $217.4 million on expanding in Thailand through adding 60 stores to its existing 260 stores in the South Asian country by the end of the current year 2007, Reuters reported.

The officials indicated that the company is planning to expand its presence in Thailand, despite the governments efforts on inserting changes into the law governing the retail sector in the wake of demands by small shop owners that the spread of superstores be controlled.

Tesco Lotus, which runs 56 hypermarkets, competes in the convenience store market with C.P. 7-Eleven, Thailand's biggest chain with about 4,000 stores and plans to add 450 this year. In the hypermarket sector, it competes with French-owned Carrefour with 24 hypermarkets and Big C Supercenter, which has 49 and aims to add four new stores in 2007.

http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story_s.asp?StoryId=1093149479

edit:

"He declined to say how many hypermarkets were in the plan, a sensitive question in Thailand at the moment, or say how much it cost to open a standard 300 square meter (3,230 sq ft) Tesco Lotus Express convenience store.

"We plan about 7 billion baht for the overall expansion this year," he said as the government works on changes to the law governing the retail sector in the wake of demands by small shop owners that the spread of superstores be controlled. "

"The Thai government is still working on amendments to the retail law aimed at superstores and rejected initial proposals last month as too vague.

The Commerce Ministry, which is redrafting the proposals, has promised public hearings before they are resubmitted to cabinet."

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articl...26825-OISCP.XML

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

(MENAFN) Officials at the Thai unit of Tesco Lotus, Britain's largest retailer, said that the company is planning to invest about $217.4 million on expanding in Thailand through adding 60 stores to its existing 260 stores in the South Asian country by the end of the current year 2007, Reuters reported.

The officials indicated that the company is planning to expand its presence in Thailand, despite the governments efforts on inserting changes into the law governing the retail sector in the wake of demands by small shop owners that the spread of superstores be controlled.

Tesco Lotus, which runs 56 hypermarkets, competes in the convenience store market with C.P. 7-Eleven, Thailand's biggest chain with about 4,000 stores and plans to add 450 this year. In the hypermarket sector, it competes with French-owned Carrefour with 24 hypermarkets and Big C Supercenter, which has 49 and aims to add four new stores in 2007.

edit:

"He declined to say how many hypermarkets were in the plan, a sensitive question in Thailand at the moment, or say how much it cost to open a standard 300 square meter (3,230 sq ft) Tesco Lotus Express convenience store.

"We plan about 7 billion baht for the overall expansion this year," he said as the government works on changes to the law governing the retail sector in the wake of demands by small shop owners that the spread of superstores be controlled. "

"The Thai government is still working on amendments to the retail law aimed at superstores and rejected initial proposals last month as too vague.

The Commerce Ministry, which is redrafting the proposals, has promised public hearings before they are resubmitted to cabinet."

LaoPo

Do you really need to ask..think about the poor little shop keeper..the same will happen as has in england..it will take a while..shut the little man down and then push up the price..there is no help for the unemployed in Thailand!

edit:

LaoPo

Do you really need to ask..think about the poor little shop keeper..the same will happen as has in england..it will take a while..shut the little man down and then push up the price..there is no help for the unemployed in Thailand!

Abject rubbish...

I suppose you enjoy poking around in the infested, out-of-date-stock-filled mom and pop hovels? :D

And, since you mentioned unemployment in Thailand, the official rate is less than 1% - one of the lowest in the world...

Facts - they don't half get in the way of opinions! :o:D

I haven't noticed any prices in UK Tescos going up recently. Have you any evidence that this is so?

Yeah, but they RENT all of their locations in Thailand (and I'd assume everywhere else). Often 40 Rai at a time until they go out of business. Sometimes they'll even knock out entire blocks of obsolete shophouses (all with individual owners who are now landlords). That's plenty of local rental income being spread around.

:o

I suppose you enjoy poking around in the infested, out-of-date-stock-filled mom and pop hovels?

Absolutely. Plus the fact that these so called "mom & pop" shops are simply not big enough and don't stock the items we need in our house. We have our Tesco Lotus here which has everything we need in one place.

Job Done!

edit:

LaoPo

Abject rubbish...

I suppose you enjoy poking around in the infested, out-of-date-stock-filled mom and pop hovels? :D

And, since you mentioned unemployment in Thailand, the official rate is less than 1% - one of the lowest in the world...

A suppose that you also believe what Tony Blair says!! and more lol

I use the big supermarkets as well..its very convenient. But just look whats happened to some the UK towns. Whilst progress will happen, it will be at the expense of the poor shop keeper. Thailand only way really forward is education of the mass.........I await comments with interest.

edit:

LaoPo

Abject rubbish...

I use the big supermarkets as well..its very convenient. But just look whats happened to some the UK towns. Whilst progress will happen, it will be at the expense of the poor shop keeper. Thailand only way really forward is education of the mass.........I await comments with interest.

As I came from a family that owned (and I worked in) a mom-and-pop store (a Mace in Weston-super-Mare to be specific), purchased in 1976, sold (at a loss) in 1985, which was largely destroyed by the W-s-M Tesco opening in 1979, I feel well qualified to comment. And yes, on balance, things move on, customers vote with their feet.

Interestingly, of the employees, they went on to the following:

My mum - went self-employed as a bookkeeper;

Grandad - Retired;

Nan - Ditto;

Dad - went to work in Westland Helecopters;

Uncle - went to work.... - For Tesco!!

Me - ended up out here.

Not a bad result all round :D

edit:

LaoPo

Abject rubbish...

As I came from a family that owned (and I worked in) a mom-and-pop store (a Mace in Weston-super-Mare to be specific), purchased in 1976, sold (at a loss) in 1985, which was largely destroyed by the W-s-M Tesco opening in 1979, I feel well qualified to comment. And yes, on balance, things move on, customers vote with their feet.

Grandad - Retired;

Nan - Ditto;

Me - ended up out here.

Not a bad result all round :D

You and your family were educated..to some degree..yes?..quite an advantage

edit:

LaoPo

Abject rubbish...

I suppose you enjoy poking around in the infested, out-of-date-stock-filled mom and pop hovels? :bah:

Facts - they don't half get in the way of opinions! :D:D

Grandad - Retired;

Nan - Ditto;

Me - ended up out here.

Not a bad result all round :bah:

You and your family were educated..to some degree..yes?..quite an advantage

Not really - Dad and uncle - dimmer that 20W light bulbs, but hey! :D

I left school at 15... :o

Anyway, as irony would have it, my uncle is just retiring from Tesco, after 20-odd years and is in line for a pension far greater than if the status quo had continued! :D

Edited by bkkandrew

As bad as it sounds, with progress comes change. When the car arrived, the horse and buggie went away. When the CD player appeared, record player manufactures went away or changed their manufacturing process to create CDs.

If the small mom and pop shops don't want to change to compete with Tesco, then they will go away too. When I say change, I mean change their business strategy to something that attracts customers. Just putting up a sign that says "Mom and Pops Shop" just doesn't do it anymore.

Thailand on more than one ocasion has been accused of copyright infringment. Here is a great opportunty to do it again.

Copy what Tesco does and the Thai's can take business from Tesco. Do business like the always do and they will fade away like the horse and buggy business faded away.

This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it took 7 (seven, I kid you not) CAT techs to install my ADSL line at home, which, sadly, doesn't even start to live up to it's proclaimed excellence? :o

As bad as it sounds, with progress comes change. When the car arrived, the horse and buggie went away. When the CD player appeared, record player manufactures went away or changed their manufacturing process to create CDs.

If the small mom and pop shops don't want to change to compete with Tesco, then they will go away too. When I say change, I mean change their business strategy to something that attracts customers. Just putting up a sign that says "Mom and Pops Shop" just doesn't do it anymore.

Thailand on more than one ocasion has been accused of copyright infringment. Here is a great opportunty to do it again.

Copy what Tesco does and the Thai's can take business from Tesco. Do business like the always do and they will fade away like the horse and buggy business faded away.

Exactly my point. Glad you made it - I'm off out to silly street! :o:D

Exactly my point. Glad you made it - I'm off out to silly street! :o:D

You two are quite correct. Change or go under..and it will mostly be go under...no education in the past..even now massive corruption of that system...and of course no OAP.

However it still amazes what Thais will do to earn a few baht..the old 'bent backed lady' pushing the cart is not a sight that I find acceptable but it is a part of Thailand that you have to accept.

As you, I'm going out, leaving BK tomorrow for a week at the seaside. I will continue to support my little local shop now and again, I like the guy and I guess he will survive, but its a bleak future for many. A real pity. Yes Tesco/Lotus..Centrals..Ngam Wang Wan Mall and all the others make life easy and who can blame people for wanting that.

Edited by John45

I don't think that Tesco necessarily put prices up the more dominance they get but i do believe that they move their "bargain" prices around the store to get you in.

For example about a month ago the prices of Tesco finest yoghurts went up from 49p to 55p. There was no little sign saying these have gone up in price. It just happened. The lady that was putting them up saying that her first hour was going to be spent putting prices up around the store on certain items. The next hour reducing prices on other items but then also adding big labels say the the price had been discounted.

I think unless you take advantage of the BOGOFs and half price deals then over time your shopping bill will be very similar.

The other problem with the mom and pop stores apart from a small selection of items is the price. It's annoying when you have to pay 55baht for a 50baht 1-2-call top up card. As faran we already have to pay extra for everything, I can't be bothered to pay it when they have done relatively nothing for it.

However I do like to use the little stores for small items and convenience. Anything more than 5 items and i will probably just go to Tesco.