Usa Banks Operating In Thailand?

Sorry if this question is far off the track. :D We are retiring to Thailand this summer and wanted to

know that if there are US banks operating in Thailand that qualify for depositories for the

800K baht deposits for the retirement visa? We will be maintaining our other banking back in

the USA and thought if one of the large US banks had branch operations in Thailand that moving

funds etc. would be much simpler. Believe the answer to all of this will be NO, but just hoping. :o

Thanks- JOHN

It really is not that hard to transfer funds to a Thai bank. I call my bank in US at about 11:00 PM Thai time and the money is in my account here by noontime. The problem with foreign bank (other than they mostly do not want normal customers) is they have few ATM locations (probably one) so you will have to use other banks ATM's and pay extra charges (small as they may be). The US Banks are operated as independent from US so you still have the same type of transfer requirements (although some may make it easier than others). At any rate it is not a black/white choice.

im not sure of the 800k

but some US banks operating in Thailand include

Bank of America

Standard Chartered

Citibank

Bank of New York

there may be a few more, there is also Bangkok Bank which has a branch in New York

Standard Chartered is a British bank.

Chase, Citi and Bofa are the three main US banks that have operations in Thailand. I know that Stanchart and HSBC also have operations in both countries and probably Calyon (French).