PM Prayuth signs order to grant visa amnesty to foreigners in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You'll find the USA calls all non-Americans aliens too. Always amuses me, I'm from another planet.

That was taken out of written texts and laws to now call people from a foreign country an Undocumented Immigrant, in the USA.  Now with the new USA Space Force, who knows what those they find, wink wink nudge nudge, in outer space will be called.  I would think Alien, but then that just reminds of Sigourney Weaver......

I was hoping that in a modern day announcement the word “aliens” may have been dropped. Then I remembered which draconian, backward, xenophobic country I was living in. Sigh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Dirty farangs????

The Health Minister tweeted this a few weeks ago "“Many farang dress dirty and don’t shower. "

He actually claimed that Chaing Mai was better when there were more Chinese tourists there. That was back in mid March. The tweets were deleted and the account closed and now the Minister denies ever making them in the first place. (It must have been someone else !) 
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-health-minister-has-a-slash-at-dirty-farang

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You'll find the USA calls all non-Americans aliens too. Always amuses me, I'm from another planet.

The USA also refers to anyone not from there as a "Third Country National". That is how they referred to Canadians and Brits (and others) working for them in places like Afghanistan. 

1 hour ago, sapson said:

whats a hard core boomer, im guessing a total conformist of sorts.

An arranged just one day of farang absence hurts nobody,doesnt break any laws immigraton or otherwise but does send a message.

Current immigration scenario actually breaks their own COVID 19 emergency social distancing laws.

you are looking for commen sense, which DOES NOT EXIST

immigration will think : PROBLEM SOLVED

the idea is GREAT.... maybe that famous blogger Richard Barrow can start the campaign or make it public

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thousands of Thais are willing to work illegally in for example Europe because they can earn way more money than in Thailand.

The number of Europeans who want to work illegally in Thailand is quite low.

So no smart Beemers in Europe to round up illegals? Seems like Thailand immigration is more competent then. 

Sorry people but this date is beyond the common sense, the reason is to order the lock down until the end of April is to avoid the spread of the virus, and this amnesty will be on after the supposed end of the lock down, should not be this most importantly right from now during the lock down period??

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

So no smart Beemers in Europe to round up illegals? Seems like Thailand immigration is more competent then. 

Visas are usually granted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, not by immigration police.

• Like 1

The order includes allowing tourists whose visa expired on or after 26 March to be automatically extended for 30 days.

Looking like it's finally here, once put into law. So if someone is on a SETV/METV and already extended for 30 days before 26th march expiring 1st week of May, they will get an automatic extension. Is my understanding correct?

1 hour ago, Condog97 said:

I dont understand why everyone gets so worked up about the whole thai visa procedures... I personally think it's very genourous (coming from the UK anyway). 30 days for absolutely nothing and another 30 for about £20! Imagine being a thai and wanting to visit the uk... that would be a massive deal of paperwork and loopholes to have to jump through! The post clearly states (for all tourists who's visa's expired on or after march 26th) if you dont fall into that category then you've already overstayed your visa atleast 14 days... so I'm assuming 99% of people will fall into that category. If not, then what the hell were you thinking... ''oh, I'll just wait and hope the government allows visa excemptions for everyone'' that's insane in my opinion.

When I took my wife to the UK, her visa, both times, was for 6 months.

27 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

You do realise the UK uses the term, as does the US, as do most countries considering it is a standard legal term for a non resident. 

Funny the things people choose to get wound up about here.  

Then I’m equally wound up that those countries use it. 

I dont understand why everyone gets so worked up about the whole thai visa procedures... I personally think it's very genourous (coming from the UK anyway). 30 days for absolutely nothing and another 30 for about £20! Imagine being a thai and wanting to visit the uk... that would be a massive deal of paperwork and loopholes to have to jump through! The post clearly states (for all tourists who's visa's expired on or after march 26th) if you dont fall into that category then you've already overstayed your visa atleast 14 days... so I'm assuming 99% of people will fall into that category. If not, then what the hell were you thinking... ''oh, I'll just wait and hope the government allows visa excemptions for everyone'' that's insane in my opinion.

When applying for a Thai visa you have to be self funded! When Thai's apply for a UK visa who's paying?

Why should our UK tax payer pick up the bills for Thai left stranded in the UK when relationship go wrong!

Is the Thai government going to Pick up your bill, if you are left stranded? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Looking like it's finally here, once put into law. So if someone is on a SETV/METV and already extended for 30 days before 26th march expiring 1st week of May, they will get an automatic extension. Is my understanding correct?

I thought it means that if your visa expired on march 27, you would get another 30 days, so until april 25. But that means you would have extended it on or before March 27, or have overstayed by two weeks already. That's why I'm confused, hopefully somebody can explain it

2 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Jeez- the ink isn't even dry on this, no official translation has been published, and the first post in knocks it. 

No wonder 'they' have contempt for foreigners with attitudes like this.

Why not wait for a full translation before rubbishing it. I despair of people on here sometimes.

That sounds pretty cold. You have no sympathy for foreigners who have been hearing rumors like this for weeks, and are anxious to get details in order to stay above the law?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

One of the benefits of living in Thailand, you get to meet the neighbors without having to go there.

In the UK you can meet the world, mostly the poor struggling ones, that want an easy life on hand outs! 

What about a native thai who isnt married to somebody back in the UK and genuinely just wants to go on holiday they're. Its alot of paperwork compared to what we have to do if we just intend on visiting a country for a short getaway. I remember when I first visited thailand, I didnt need any proof of relation or support in the country, I didnt need to showcase my financial situation to prove I could support myself, I showed absolutely nothing... just arrive in the day with your passport and fill a flimsy card in stating where I'm staying and when I'm leaving. Super simple. 

What changed?