PM Prayuth signs order to grant visa amnesty to foreigners in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

So... actually it's not ok until it's "published" ? Got lost in this jungle ????

I'm asking because i am supposed to go to immigration like tomorrow morning last limit <deleted>...

First extension of the exemption on arrival.

2 hours ago, Lee20 said:

I went to CW office applied 30 days extension on 25Mar(the most crowded day I think).  My original tax exempt stamp expired on 30Mar, I wait for 10 hours and got a stamp that my extension was under consideration and must contact the immigration office again on 22Apr.  Do you guys have any idea I really need to contact the immigration on 22Apr or I can get automated extension for one month from my original expired date of 30Mar?  Thanks a lot! 

Im pretty sure from what I read and also what my Thai wife has read,  that your expired visa, being the 30th of March enables an automatic 30 day extension as of the 30th March.

Good luck

GBW

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Me and my missus have been going back to UK and Europe every year for the last 10 years. First visa for UK and Schengen was a pain. After that it got easier and easier. Now it's a piece of p***. She gets 6 months muli-entry and she doesn't have to pay cos she's married to me. 

There's a reason why the UK, for example; is so strict at first but then offers rewards and even citizenship down the line. There's no reason why Thailand won't do the same for it's tax-paying and/or married foreigners. 

During a pandemic. There should be a visa amnesty in every country. It's not only the correct way to keep people from getting sick or dying - it's also the decent and right thing to do. 

And that applies to thais exactly how? 

Edited by YetAnother

15 minutes ago, Badboldie said:

In the UK you can meet the world, mostly the poor struggling ones, that want an easy life on hand outs! 

Good point, but do they have to line up at British "Immigration "offices and report every 90 days?  

53 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

You might want to think about brushing up your maths and knowledge of current exchange rates.  

An extension to a 30 day visa exemption costs 1,900 baht, which at the current rate of (approximately) 40 baht to the £ comes to £47.50, well over double the £20 you quoted.

Good point! I normally just do the maths at 1000 = 25... I intended on adding that to the 20. My mistake! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LastStraw said:

I thought it means that if your visa expired on march 27, you would get another 30 days, so until april 25. But that means you would have extended it on or before March 27, or have overstayed by two weeks already. That's why I'm confused, hopefully somebody can explain it

It also means that if your visa expired on 26th March and you did not extend, you are forgive and will not have to pay fines. That is what Amnesty is, I just hope that is how the Thais understand it! 

40 minutes ago, rbkk said:

When I took my wife to the UK, her visa, both times, was for 6 months.

Did you have to apply for it and pay £xxx for it even with a chance they could turn around and say no? Did she have to go to bangkok or a local embassy to apply?

Or did she just arrive and walk freely through immigration without any interrogation whatsoever? That's the point I'm trying to make

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

maybe for those Elite Visa holders who are still here I would agree, but not for those that left for a quick visit back home to pick up some things, like a buddy from the states, and then were locked out of Thailand, those folks can not get here as of now so that Visa for them is useless, he is fuming about that fact.

He's got an EINO visa (Elite in name only) 

41 minutes ago, Badboldie said:

When applying for a Thai visa you have to be self funded! When Thai's apply for a UK visa who's paying?

Why should our UK tax payer pick up the bills for Thai left stranded in the UK when relationship go wrong!

Is the Thai government going to Pick up your bill, if you are left stranded? 

I'm sorry, I must of completely missed the part at the airport where they ask me my financial situation... because they did not

8 minutes ago, Badboldie said:

It also means that if your visa expired on 26th March and you did not extend, you are forgive and will not have to pay fines. That is what Amnesty is, I just hope that is how the Thais understand it! 

That's what i thought too. So on March 26th you had to see two weeks into the future to know they would announce it retroactively? The 1000s of people who showed up to extend between March 26th and now, or whenever it actually becomes official, didn't need to?

For example, if this announcement was the same but said april 26th, people planning to go within the next few weeks would not have to bother. Mentioning March 26th now makes no sense to me, like other people have said, if your visa expired March 26th, you're gone or have extended it already

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

So... actually it's not ok until it's "published" ? Got lost in this jungle ????

I'm asking because i am supposed to go to immigration like tomorrow morning last limit <deleted>...

First extension of the exemption on arrival.

Print a copy of the Thai version of the order and take it with you.

Thailand extends foreigners' visas to prevent queues and curb coronavirus

2020-04-08T050429Z_1_LYNXMPEG370EJ_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

A woman wearing a protective face mask walks on a road during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Bangkok, Thailand, April 7, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand approved a plan on Wednesday to allow all foreigners who entered legally to receive automatic visa extensions, to prevent long queues at immigration centres and stem the spread of the coronavirus, a senior immigration official told Reuters.

Thailand has closed its borders and banned entry to foreigners, except diplomats and work-permit holders to combat the COVID-19 outbreak.

Those foreigners who entered the country before the ban was imposed - who had visas, received visas on arrival or under visa waiver programmes - will not need to line up at often crowded immigration centres around the country to extend their stay.

The automatic visa extension has been granted until April 30, according to an interior ministry document. Police Lieutenant General Sompong Chingduang told Reuters the government could extend this deadline each month.

Last week the government allowed migrant workers with expiring work permits to stay in the country, without the need to apply for extensions, until Thailand reopen its borders.

The country reported 111 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday. They included 42 Thais repatriated from Indonesia who had travelled South Sulawesi province for a religious gathering last month before the event was postponed.

In total, Thailand has reported 2,369 cases of the novel coronavirus, and 30 deaths. It has declared a state of emergency until the end of the month and imposed a nationwide 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-08

Ok look lucky timing for me. I was due tomorrow.

I have been a little bit confused actually by Richard Barrow, he is talking a lot about people having already a first extension, or he his talking about the long term visa extension (1 year)...

Anyway, i feel lucky today.

My thought though for all those who have suffered from this madness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

Not to be sarcastic, but guess some of the Elite visa haters, maybe now can see the benefit of that visa. 

I got it, would not be much benefit if I was running out of the 1y permit to stay stamp. Off to immigration to beg for extension it would be. I'm lucky as I got it until end of December, only had to battle with the 90d notification (which the elite assistants luckily handled for me). So yeah some benefits, but no real screams of joy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

The use of the title alien for those who are not nationals is quite widespread. You're making something of nothing. In Japan farang are called gaijin. Gaijin means alien.

At least it's not gweilo. Damn white ghosts.

1 hour ago, Badboldie said:

When applying for a Thai visa you have to be self funded! When Thai's apply for a UK visa who's paying?

Why should our UK tax payer pick up the bills for Thai left stranded in the UK when relationship go wrong!

Is the Thai government going to Pick up your bill, if you are left stranded? 

have you ever heard of independent thai travelers (with money)? have a real job not that many hubs to jump really ???? travel for relationships? umm ok cool

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Ok look lucky timing for me. I was due tomorrow.

I have been a little bit confused actually by Richard Barrow, he is talking a lot about people having already a first extension, or he his talking about the long term visa extension (1 year)...

Anyway, i feel lucky today.

My thought though for all those who have suffered from this madness.

Very lucky, you. I'd say buy a lottery ticket if the lottery wasn't cancelled. I was there yesterday with at least 1000 others, I left it until the last day. I was waiting for that announcement, but it had been internet gossip for weeks already, and i didn't want to risk it staying just a rumour

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LastStraw said:

You got a 30 day, right? If so, a visa exemption. So they wouldn't ask about your financial situation. 60 day tourist visa you need proof of funds. I've never applied for anything else, but people will tell you there's a lot more you need to provide for retirement visa, marriage visa, etc.

Yes, I always get a visa exemption and just extend it to 30 days, no questions asked and no need to prove anything. Much simpler that way and beneficial for me, I dont need to stay any longer than 60 days at a time and if I do, i quite enjoy visiting other countries for visa runs. I understand that isnt the case for everybody, just emphasising how easy it is to visit the country and how laid back the immigration is about it.

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Your point is that why can some people walk into another’s country easily while other’s can’t. Two of the most powerful passports in the world are from Singapore and Japan. They get to walk into other countries easily because their governments run things much better than most and their citizens have high GDPs. People from wealthy countries generally don’t go to poorer countries for a better financial future. And if they do, they don’t achieve it easily. 

Japan and South Korea have discussed before about ditching their VOA for Thais. The reason being many people going their to work illegally.

If you wanna blame someone, blame s***** governments who stifle their country and citizen’s progression either through poor management or gross corruption. 

I'm not blaming anyone, like I said above, I was just emphasising the relaxed laws on  visiting Thailand. I understand they're are people looking to come and work illegally in other countries, I just think its harsh of people to slander the rules on visa's in thailand right now... when theres no factors such as a global pandemic affecting travel and causing restrictions. The thai government is extremely relaxed on letting people come and go freely to visit their country. My girlfriends been wanting to come to visit the U.K now for over 2 years... just looking at the whole process, I think what's the point, when it's so much easier, cheaper and generally just better to come and see her here.

It’s now official! The order signed by the prime minister to give automatic extension of stay to foreigners has just been published in the Royal Gazette. Effective immediately http://ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2563/E/081/T_0009.PDF #COVID19 #โควิด19 #Thailand [ THREAD]

2 hours ago, Mbaki said:

Not really a luxury....more like waste of money ????

Elite is a waste of money ... even with buckets of cash. you can simply pay an agent to get you unrestricted visa access as required for a fraction of the cost and the saving spent on pure indulgence .....if youre in that financial position.