PM Prayuth signs order to grant visa amnesty to foreigners in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I was hoping that in a modern day announcement the word “aliens” may have been dropped. Then I remembered which draconian, backward, xenophobic country I was living in. Sigh. 

Perhaps you (and a few others here) need to look up the main definition of "alien", it's nothing to do with draconian xenophobia.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sickocock said:

Great news for those with a visa, but the ones with only a visa exempt stamp will not be eliglible as far is i can see.

I thought Visa Exempt were explicitly covered. 

the question marks are around Non-O, Non-B etc... 

Edit: This article seems to suggest everybody is covered (assuming entering on a re-entry permit on an extension is the same as entering on a Visa)...

According to the announcement published this afternoon by the Ministry of Interior Affairs, foreigners who entered the kingdom with visas, visa on arrival, or through visa waiver programs will be granted an extended stay from March 26 to April 30.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/04/08/prayut-extends-foreigners-stay-to-april-30-due-to-coronavirus/

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Jeez- the ink isn't even dry on this, no official translation has been published, and the first post in knocks it. 

No wonder 'they' have contempt for foreigners with attitudes like this.

Who's the "they" that, you claim, has contempt for foreigners?

1 hour ago, audaciousnomad said:

???? Announcing the latest visa relief measures on 7 April 2020
????‍♂️ The person whose visas has expired from 26th of March 2020 will be automatically extended to 30th of April 2020. There is no need to apply for a visa extension at Immigration Office for this period and will not be fined THB 500 per day for this case. 
????‍♂️ Aliens who are due for 90 days reports between 26th of March 2020 and 30th of April 2020 are temporarily exempted from reporting in this period until further notice. 
????‍♂️Aliens who are holding Border Passes will be allowed to stay in Thailand for now. However, Aliens with Border Passes must depart Thailand within 7 days of the border crossing points opening date. 
????‍♂️Aliens are advised to follow announcements regarding Immigration measures closely for updates. (Currently measures announced until 30 April 2020 or further updates)

https://immigration.go.th/content/visa_auto_extension?click=1

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This is not a translation, but Immigration's interpretation of Prayut's order published in the Royal Gazette.

Imho their interpretation does not match Prayut's order in all aspects, but this is irrelevant for us foreigners, we have to follow what immigration tells us.

Immigration says: If somebody had a permit allowing him to stay until at least 26th, then this permit is automatically extended until 30th April. So be it.

Thanks for clarification, good news indeed.

It would be more clear if they wrote "... visas and extensions", because most of the folks are on extensions here, including tourists too (who got their 1st extensions after their actual "visas" expired)

52 minutes ago, Enoon said:

So it's not a 30 day extension.

All they are saying is that if your visa expired, or is going to expire, on or after the 26th March or during the month of April, you can wait until the 30th April before you have to get it extended.

That's the "amnesty".........overstay charges suspended but will be levied from 1st May.

...unless, as is likely if current circumstances remain unchanged, it is extended...

"????‍♂️Aliens are advised to follow announcements regarding Immigration measures closely for updates. (Currently measures announced until 30 April 2020 or further updates)"

Unfounded speculation about fines isn't necessary if you bother to read the announcements.

Edited by Just Weird

2 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Thanks for clarification, good news indeed.

It would be more clear if they wrote "... visas and extensions", because most of the folks are on extensions here, including tourists too (who got their 1st extensions after their actual "visas" expired)

I am not sure it includes the yearly extentions

There even something in this for permanent residents who are stranded overseas and cannot return to Thailand in time before their one year re-entry permits expire. Normally this results in cancellation of permanent residence without exception.

Section 1. Aliens who have been given permission to stay permanently in the Kingdom under Section 48 of the 1979 Immigration Act and have evidence that they have obtained permits to re-enter the Kingdom within one year according to Section 50 of the Act may extend the period for return to the Kingdom to be longer than one year until after the situation has improved sufficiently to allow aliens to travel to the Kingdom and within the deadline to be specified by the Immigration Bureau. 

46 minutes ago, ColtenSloan said:

So my visa expired match 28th I'm currently on my 30 day extension until April 27th... What does this mean for me once April 27th Rolla around?? ????????

????‍♂️Aliens are advised to follow announcements regarding Immigration measures closely for updates. (Currently measures announced until 30 April 2020 or further updates)

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Why pussyfoot about? There are many stuck here who do not fall into the after March 26th bracket, who will still have to solve their situation, leading to more queues at immigration. A step in the right direction, but a blanket amnesty is what is needed, as dealing with the virus should be way more important than this.

Amnesty? Really?

Amnesty: An official pardon for people who have been convicted of political offenses.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Condog97 said:

What about a native thai who isnt married to somebody back in the UK and genuinely just wants to go on holiday they're. Its alot of paperwork compared to what we have to do if we just intend on visiting a country for a short getaway. I remember when I first visited thailand, I didnt need any proof of relation or support in the country, I didnt need to showcase my financial situation to prove I could support myself, I showed absolutely nothing... just arrive in the day with your passport and fill a flimsy card in stating where I'm staying and when I'm leaving. Super simple. 

That's because Thais frequently work illegally in other countries. Look at the hundreds of thousands of Thais working illegally in South Korea as an example.

It's a false equivalence and a nonsensical argument.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, khunpa said:

Not to be sarcastic, but guess some of the Elite visa haters, maybe now can see the benefit of that visa. 

Until signed off, the 90 day still has to be done. And, if applicable, the yearly renewal will have to be done at IO because of closed borders so a queue up necessary.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Unfortunately it doesn´t seem to matter what Thailand does to make it easier, because there is always going to be a lot of TVF members that are going to drag everything in the dirt anyway. What do you people want Thailand to do for you? You already had the chance to go home, but let that chance pass by. You have been given the chance in 3 different ways to extend your visas at immigration due to the virus outbreak and lockdowns of full countries. That was too much work for you, so you complained and cried foul instead. Now there is more privileges given to you, and yet you do not know the extent of it. Still a lot of complaining. Again, what shall Thailand do to please you? Do they have to crawl in front of you, kiss your feet and give all foreigners citizenship as well as worship you forever.

No, just do like all the other countries and declare everyone automatically extended (in UK, you email for it - most not even that), like the rest of the countries who don't want to Force people into Large Crowds for visa-matters did ... Last Month.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It´s simple. Everybody had long time to think and make a decision to not travel or go back home before the borders closed and no transportation was available. If one chose to stay with the knowledge of how things are done in Thailand, then one must also understand that will mean a difficult period of time and be ready to deal with it.

"How things are done in Thailand" vis-a-vis Immigration - glad you got to the point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1