Hospital where Covid cases outnumber doctors pleads for donations

snoop1130

Hospital where Covid cases outnumber doctors pleads for donations

By The Nation

800_c90d790f31b9d59.jpg

Kong Ra Hospital in Phatthalung province is asking for donations of money and medical supplies, saying that it currently has five Covid-19 patients but only three doctors.

One of those doctors posted a message on Facebook, explaining that the small community hospital with 30 beds has four doctors, but one of them is currently in self-quarantine after coming into contact with Covid-19 patients.

“We have never before asked the public for assistance via Facebook, but this situation is tough for us,” the doctor said.

“Currently, we have five Covid-19 patients who are receiving treatment, while we are facing a shortage of doctors, nurses and medical supplies.”

The doctor said that the hospital is accepting money and medical supplies such as N95 masks, surgical masks, goggles, aprons, pump bottles, alcohol gels, surgical caps, and digital thermometers, as well as food and drinks.

“People can donate money via the hospital account number 9083150194, Krung Thai Bank, Phatthalung Branch. Meanwhile, they can deliver medical supplies to Kong Ra Hospital, 164 Moo 8, Khlong Sai Yao subdistrict, Kong Ra district, Phatthalung 93180,” the doctor posted.

Donors can receive for tax deductions on their donations by sending a copy of the money transfer, name and surname, address, ID card number, and telephone number to the hospital.

“For more information, please phone Rattikan Sohkao at 086 6980878 from 8.30am to 4.30pm,” the doctor said, adding that medical staff at the hospital were in need of good personal protective equipment to take care of patients properly.

“We would like to ask people for any help they can give,” the doctor said. “Members of our medical team have not been home for two months, but we will overcome this situation together.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385695

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-09
  • Thanks 1

This is a sad but intriguing situation.

Phattalung...no one goes to Phattalung. It's one of those invisible provinces trains pass thru in dark night.

It's a poor province. Maybe they travel outside for work.

Whatever it is, a very sad situation to fall into. I hope some good Samaritan hears the plea and provide some assistance.

Jokes and catty remarks on something like this, is of very poor taste. It is better to keep silent and do nothing, rather than resorting to disgusting remarks, to while away the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

why do they have to beg for supplies and support?

Especially a huge why to request public support?

A health department matter for sure and under normal circumstances serious cases are always transferred by ambulance to the nearest large well equipped hospital as mentioned.

Something not quite right about this.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

This is a sad but intriguing situation.

Phattalung...no one goes to Phattalung. It's one of those invisible provinces trains pass thru in dark night.

It's a poor province. Maybe they travel outside for work.

This could be one of the patients.

The first confirmed case in the province is a 56-year-old man who worked as a second for boxers. He had also visited Lumpinee Boxing Stadium in Bangkok on March 12. He was tested for Covid-19 at Rajavithi Hospital after having flu-like symptoms but nothing was found. He returned to Phatthalung on March 15 and a day later went to the Phatthalung Hospital where he tested positive for Covid-19.

Tests of the other two persons will be revealed within a few days.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384421

• Thanks 1

Please Sirs, take a rest from hammering the keyboard and gnashing your teeth while bashing all and sundry. Just read the world news, you will get the answers.

21 minutes ago, ravip said:

Please Sirs, take a rest from hammering the keyboard and gnashing your teeth while bashing all and sundry. Just read the world news, you will get the answers.

5  patients, it would be reasonable to expect that a small provincal hospital would have sufficient PPE and equipment to cope with that number, if the ministry was doing its job.  

It is called preparation.

Risk mangement 101, after establishing the probabilty of risk, "What resources  do we need??"

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

5  patients, it would be reasonable to expect that a small provincal hospital would have sufficient PPE and equipment to cope with that number, if the ministry was doing its job.  

Risk mangement 101, after establishing the probabilty of risk, "What resources  do we need??"

Of course. I too have heard about all those beautiful and lovely theories... Preparation, Risk management 101, Establishing the probability of risk etc. etc. Oh yes, lovely to learn and impressive to utter over a podium.

With all that expertise and more, explain why the worlds greatest and the smartest country had to seek help from Russia & India - were they not caught with their pants down?

So...whats wrong with a small provincial hospital asking for help in a time of desperation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I think that what they are trying to say is that they have 5 Covid-19 patients in isolation plus their usual number of patients as well. 

Small public hospitals, even the larger ones get their supplies from the ministry of health.

Sufficient PPE and equipment to cope with that number, only works if the ministry was doing its job. Sadly those hospitals that are handle the most patients get a far higher priority than the small cottage hospitals.

The Health Ministry is not 100% to blame as I assume PPE has a shelf life and if it is beyond that date and sold off at a loss then people would quite rightly scream about a waste of money being thrown away.

This pandemic is world wide with all countries scrambling to buy PPE and there isn't enough to go around yet.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ravip said:

Of course. I too have heard about all those beautiful and lovely theories... Preparation, Risk management 101, Establishing the probability of risk etc. etc. Oh yes, lovely to learn and impressive to utter over a podium.

With all that expertise and more, explain why the worlds greatest and the smartest country had to seek help from Russia & India - were they not caught with their pants down?

So...whats wrong with a small provincial hospital asking for help in a time of desperation?

I am not criticising the hospital, I am asking about the ministry of health and the hospital administrators combined

Nothing wrong with them asking in desperation, I am not critical of that at all, should not be needed to do so, if competence in governance from top down.

I guess thinking about the "smartest countries" I ask the same question, and we know they did not go back to basics,(risk management 101) and had no pandemic plans in place, due to possible "neo liberalist" ideologies, or incompetence

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am not criticising the hospital, I am asking about the ministry of health and the hospital administrators combined

Nothing wrong with them asking in desperation, I am not critical of that at all, should not be needed to do so, if competence in governance from top down.

I guess thinking about the "smartest countries" I ask the same question, and we know they did not go back to basics,(risk management 101) and had no pandemic plans in place, due to possible "neo liberalist" ideologies, or incompetence

if competence in governance from top down.

Where does it exist on this planet?

Edit

Hence, honest people down the line try to do their best to the best of their ability with the available resources. Helping them, however possible is best than preaching theories at difficult times - most times, it is the people who do the least that criticises the most.

Edited by ravip

9 minutes ago, ravip said:

Nothing,  if the esteemed leadership of this fine country published some honest numbers and laid out a plan forward.  But no, all we get is it is 100% under control, shut up and wear ur mask.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Nothing,  if the esteemed leadership of this fine country published some honest numbers and laid out a plan forward.  But no, all we get is it is 100% under control, shut up and wear ur mask.

So?

10 minutes ago, justin case said:

wait ... 1 THAI doctor cannot treat 5 patients ?   does he spend hours at their bedside ? I don't think so

So what makes you think there are only 5 patients, and that there are no others there for other treatments and care, plus more waiting in Que to be seen by staff including doctors....just a thought I had.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, justin case said:

wait ... 1 THAI doctor cannot treat 5 patients ?   does he spend hours at their bedside ? I don't think so

Treating Covid19 requires a fair knowledge of respiratory health, and I am lead to believe the reaction to it can change rapidly.

Managing patients with ARDS (adult respiratory distress syndrome) is complex, as their underlying comorbidities also need manageing, and corona virus often cause immune flare ups, meaning the body can "overact" to fight the virus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, justin case said:

Ooooooooooopps! Wait... Treating a COVID-19 patient might be a little different to treating a patient with a common cold, I presume. ????

• Thanks 1