Battery dead (left on overnight)

my bike was left on overnight with the keys in by my worse half and the bike will only jumpstart

can it recharge itself by leaving the engine on like a car would do? (I tried leaving it running for 10 minutes with no luck)

the battery is fairly new

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

thanks

Anyway to do this without social interaction?

My wife gets things for me during this or gets someone to get it.

As said no charger,  connect to the car battery and leave the car running for about 20 mins should put enough in it for the time being. 

I left my PCX on - a 12 month old battery flat... wouldn't start until I connected it to a car battery.

However, after ten minutes, I could turn it off and touch the start button to restart it... I gave it a 15 minute ride to Makro and there was no further issue....

So if it won't restart after running ten minutes, forget the new battery - or investigate the bike's charging ability.

2 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

I left my PCX on - a 12 month old battery flat... wouldn't start until I connected it to a car battery.

However, after ten minutes, I could turn it off and touch the start button to restart it... I gave it a 15 minute ride to Makro and there was no further issue....

So if it won't restart after running ten minutes, forget the new battery - or investigate the bike's charging ability.

PCX battery lasts about 5 years, your one year old one will not have much of a problem getting it to do its job again...

My step-sons old Honda Click had been standing idle for several months.

Kick start was useless so jump-started from missus's Honda Click with some old electric cable. Slowly rode it up to the local PTT garage to fill the flat tyres, (left it on tick-over) and hammered it home. Has started every time since.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 10:59 PM, northsouthdevide said:

Try riding around on it for a hour? 

A cars battery won't charge unless the engine hits 3000 rpm, so maybe ticking over isn't enough? 

That is correct,  just leave it on idle does not charge the battery, need to ride it for like 20 min at good speed without stopping, then it will be recharged ...(unless faulty charging system or old battery).

On 4/11/2020 at 11:00 AM, cyril sneer said:

i meant social interaction, not social distancing

i want it charged without having to talk to anyone

go on translate and write down the 

thai phrase for 'charge battery"

hand that and B100 to the shop and come back in 2 hrs.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 10:59 PM, northsouthdevide said:

A cars battery won't charge unless the engine hits 3000 rpm, so maybe ticking over isn't enough? 

This is the 21st century you know? 

Connect bike to car jump leads again but leave the car running for 20mins. 

Sorted.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why not invest in a battery charger, plenty for sale on Lazada, don't buy a cheap one. Plenty around the 500 - 600 bahtish mark. Don't get caught out again.

I'd spend a bit more and get a portable jumper pack... can be used as a portable battery bank for charging phones too !!

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

I left the engine running for a further 30 minutes and it’s working as new again

Some very bad advice given in this thread 

Well, you said in your first post that you have done that already and it didn't work - so misleading everyone. A new battery in a new bike hardly has an issue to address...! 

• Like 1

If the battery is, as you say fairly new, it should recover from a deep discharge by going out and having a good ride.

Motorcycling is perfect for social distancing (and avoiding social interaction) so go on out and have some fun.

Do you really need an excuse to do that?

P. S. I often tell my wife 'I'm just going out for a ride to keep the battery charged up dear'. Tee Hee!

Edited by Moonlover
  • Haha 1