Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

Just an update (5.1.2020) for those of you who are in the same situation as I am.  I definitely qualify for the stimulus, have an American wife and 3 kids.  We paid taxes in both 2018 and 2019 so the IRS doesn't have our direct deposit information to our US bank.  Our identifying information from our 1040 forms (SS#, DOB, Address) still do not match what's on file with the IRS.  Not sure if they will mail our check overseas, or how it will get here since I presume our address is the culprit for not matching.  Will let you all know if that check does arrive.

Knowing there are many expats living here, this shouldn't be. I can't call the US with my phone anyway, so I guess I'll have to wait for them to do what they said they will do. Use the information they have, and what I gave them, and send it direct deposit.

• Thanks 2

That's why I don't understand why IRS has the get my payment tool for those that are non filers. It just gives your basic information,including direct deposit details to them. SS already sends us payments so they should just use that information. I don't have a US address and my old bank information isn't the same there. I still have a Bank of America account but it's different from when the IRS sent me direct deposit refunds. Now I use Bangkok Bank for my SS benefits.

Edited by fredwiggy
37 minutes ago, ppatty said:

My husband and I receive a check of 2400 to us address yesterday. we both get SSA direct deposit to Bkk bank, it didn't go there. They send a check to my us address instead.

Had you filed a tax return?

Are your transfers done via Bangkok Bank New York to a direct deposit account or by IDD to a normal bank account?

31 minutes ago, ppatty said:

My husband and I receive a check of 2400 to us address yesterday. we both get SSA direct deposit to Bkk bank, it didn't go there. They send a check to my us address instead.

Yeah this is what I was worried about. I get SSA direct into BKK BK, am a non-filer of taxes. A week or so ago the IRS issued a statement that I needed to do nothing and they would would send the $1200 into my account exactly as the SS does. Now that has not happened and I am hearing people (in this situation) say they are getting mailed checks. The address SS has for me is my Thai address (I get stuff from SS every year). But I do not know if physical mail is even moving right now to/from the US. I have heard nothing definitive about that. Question: Has ANYBODY (on SS into BBK BK, non-filer) had the stimulus deposited into their BKK BK account?

39 minutes ago, ppatty said:

Since the IRS sent it to your US address that means they have your US address on file which should mean you filed a 2019 or 2018 return using that address.  Yes...no?  

21 hours ago, SilverBlue said:

Just an update (5.1.2020) for those of you who are in the same situation as I am.  I definitely qualify for the stimulus, have an American wife and 3 kids.  We paid taxes in both 2018 and 2019 so the IRS doesn't have our direct deposit information to our US bank.  Our identifying information from our 1040 forms (SS#, DOB, Address) still do not match what's on file with the IRS.  Not sure if they will mail our check overseas, or how it will get here since I presume our address is the culprit for not matching.  Will let you all know if that check does arrive.

Yes my situation & experience - I can now get into "Get My Payment" but always get error message that address does not match their files. I entered address exactly as on my 2018 return

12 hours ago, andy said:

Having checked on several expat forums, the tool will not work with a foreign address, period.  The only shot seems to be calling the IRS once their call centers are functioning again.  The IRS systems run on state of the art 1970s technology, so the chances of this useless Get my Payment tool getting upgraded and working for all are slim to none.

Up until they did the maintenance on their site, my Thai address worked fine for a couple of weeks.

Now, it does not work and I tried entering many different ways.

If anyone receives their stimulus check by mail here in Thailand, please let us know.

As somebody asked earlier, has anybody still been receiving mail from the US lately?

12 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Question: Has ANYBODY (on SS into BBK BK, non-filer) had the stimulus deposited into their BKK BK account?

That question has been asked and asked in this thread now around 648 posts long and no one has said they have received the stimulus payment or 2019 refund to Bangkok Bank. 

Don't know if that's because people who may have used their Bangkok Bank acct for their 2018 or 2019 return refund or tax payment simply haven't seen this thread....or Bangkok Bank NY is rejecting any govt ACH payment not sent in ACH IAT format which it does not appear the stimulus payment are being sent in....instead being sent in ACH domestic format so far.

From several posts in this and related threads where people have received their stimulus payment via direct deposit to a US bank and also provided an image of the bank direct deposit the stimulus payment was "not" in ACH IAT format but in ACH domestic format.  One way to tell is if "310" appears somewhere in the payment description which means it was an ACH "domestic" format.  ACH IAT deposits/transfers will not have the 310 in the description.  Other clues is IRS being abbreviated (e.g., IRS) used for an ACH Domestic format but IRS being spelled out to Internal Revenue Service for an ACH IAT format.   

With SS stimulus payment via direct deposit to begin soon (first week of May) and since quite a few posters have already said they get their SS monthly payment to Bangkok Bank but haven't filed a return of years, hopefully we get at least several people chiming it as to if they got their stimulus payment to their Bangkok Bank acct.  Hopefully, even with a stimulus payment being sent in ACH domestic format Bangkok Bank NY will still let it through.

But so, far I haven't seen anyone say they got their stimulus payment or 2019 refund to their Bangkok Bank acct.

I am expecting a package through USPS in the next couple days.  The office let my buddy send one, so I expect it to get here.  He said that USPS would not even mail it if they saw shipping was blocked.  I don't know if its automatically flagged or not.

Anyway, yes, I'll be on the lookout for a mailed check to my Thai address since that's what's on both my 2018 and 2019 return.  I'll report here if I get it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Pib said:

With SS stimulus payment via direct deposit to begin soon (first week of May) and since quite a few posters have already said they get their SS monthly payment to Bangkok Bank but haven't filed a return of years, hopefully we get at least several people chiming it as to if they got their stimulus payment to their Bangkok Bank acct.  Hopefully, even with a stimulus payment being sent in ACH domestic format Bangkok Bank NY will still let it through.

Oh hell I forgot about that whole formatting issue. What a mess...  Yes please if anyone has received stimulus DD into BKK BK, let us know.

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Had you filed a tax return?

Are your transfers done via Bangkok Bank New York to a direct deposit account or by IDD to a normal bank account?

Yes, we filed tax return every year with US Address. My Husband retirement transfer through Bangkok Bank New York. Mine transfer to Citibank in USA since I don't have to renew my Visa because I am a dual Thai-Us Citizen. I guess IRS use information from my tax return to send out the paper check.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I have seen nothing that says they will start the first week of this month. I am not sure they have done anything to send them yet.

Tuesday would be the first day this month they could be received here and then it will be Thursday after that due to the banks being closed for holidays.

Still no info about mine on the "Get My Payment" site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only remember seeing it on Yahoo news, that a second wave of payments were supposed to go out this week. Also that the first was to people filing, and then to those on SS. I don't remember the source but it was on Yahoo news. Also, maybe someone with unlimited time on their phone,and some time,they might call the IRS toll free number and inform them that no one is receiving here yet.             The IRS said recipients of Supplemental Security Income will automatically receive the full $1,200 economic impact payment, with no action needed on their part. The IRS projects payments for these recipients will go out by early May......................That from this link.................https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/irs-mails-first-1200-coronavirus-stimulus-checks-work-out-your-payment-schedule/

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen nothing that says they will start the first week of this month. I am not sure they have done anything to send them yet.

Tuesday would be the first day this month they could be received here and then it will be Thursday after that due to the banks being closed for holidays.

Still no info about mine on the "Get My Payment" site.

Did your Thai address work to access the get my payment site or are you using your US address?

Also, many people in the US that get SS have reported they have received their direct deposit starting Wednesday both to their US bank and the Direct Express card. Many replies on several YouTube channels that give out daily info.

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I only remember seeing it on Yahoo news, that a second wave of payments were supposed to go out this week. Also that the first was to people filing, and then to those on SS. I don't remember the source but it was on Yahoo news. Also, maybe someone with unlimited time on their phone,and some time,they might call the IRS toll free number and inform them that no one is receiving here yet.

There is no phone customer service at IRS now. Do not call. 

The IRS site accepted my form,using my Thai address. When I check there ,it just says it's been accepted,but the Get My Payment site says cannot be determined with information they have. All the Get My Payment asks for is SS #, birthdate,street address and postal code. No city, province or country, although the SS administration has that information.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

From Washington Post April 27: "Social Security, survivor and disability non-filers will see economic impact payments in their bank accounts by April 29, according to a Treasury spokeswoman." This is for tax non-filers. I saw similar statements elsewhere at that time. They said it would be done exactly as your SS payments were deposited. Apparently they are running late. Note the stimulus is coming from the IRS not the SSA. I really hope they are not hung up over the transfer formatting issue (IAT, etc.). If so that might mean paper checks arriving... well maybe arriving at some point who knows. 

My income hasn't change at all in fact a slightly lower baht has improved it. The ones who need the money are people whose income has been affected by Covid 19 shutdown in the US. The ones who filed taxes in 2018 or 2019 should have already received it, which is good. 

I look it as a government gift and will accept it. I know it was meant to stimulate the US economy but living in Thailand and spending my money here has little direct effect on the US economy.

That's all I've been getting all along.    This is from that site.............................

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
  • You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
  • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

If you receive “Payment Status Not Available”, you will not be able to provide direct deposit information at this time.  We’re working on updates to allow more people to use this feature.

We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.

15 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

I have  read all of that more than once to see if anything had changed.

I am assuming they have not processed the info yet for "Non Filers" getting SSA payments.

Sent an email the Bangkok Bank Help Desk asking would there be a problem with the deposits made via direct deposit from the US Government (Stimulus Payment) This was their reply :

As we have no information regarding to this matter . Please check with the Government website for how they will send the funds to you

Sorry for inconvenience cause

Regards

NY Branch

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Hi UbonJoe, can you please give an example as to how your entered your Thai address.

Just the house number and Soi number that are the beginning of my address. For example 123/456 Soi 12/5. Left off the village name and etc.