Does anyone have experience of being in IDC in Bangkok during Coronavirus?

Sharon2020

15 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

The monkey house for people awaiting deportation. 

Does it have an official name that would match initials IDC? International Deportation Center?

Edited by WalkingOrders
punctuation
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, NightSky said:

A Real Image From the ThaiTiger

From at least 7 years ago.

OP asked

11 hours ago, Sharon2020 said:

What are the Conditions like currently, ie social distancing?

Although doubt it would be much different now.

Edited by Salerno

1 hour ago, bermondburi said:

Although Warren Fellows thought it was quite nice on his way back to Australia. ????????????

I guess he saw that as the "last outpost" before a flight back to Oz, so found it better than completeing the life sentence in a prison. After 12 years it was just a blip to be endured

Edited by RJRS1301

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I guess he saw that as the "last outpost" before a flight back to Oz, so found it better than completeing the life sentence in a prison. After 12 years it was just a blip to be endured

I remember from his book that he mentions it was like a luxury Palace compared to Big Tiger. 

20 hours ago, Sharon2020 said:

Are flights still being made available to the U.K./ Germany/ Canada & Netherlands?

This is from a post I made on Friday.

DEPARTING THAILAND
•       Lufthansa: Bangkok – Frankfurt, 3x per week (Monday; Thursday; Saturday)
•       Qatar Airways : Bangkok - Doha, Daily operating until 20 April (Qatar is still flying almost everywhere, including Europe, on a daily basis)
•       KLM : Bangkok to Amsterdam, 2x per week (Monday; Saturday)
•       EVA Airways: Bangkok to London-Heathrow, 4x per week (Sunday; Tuesday; Wednesday; Friday)
•       Korean Airlines : Bangkok - Seoul, Daily (connecting flights to various Canadian and US cities from there via Delta Airlines and Air Canada).

Most of that should still be valid. There are other airlines still flying as well.

On the Suvarnabhumi Departure Board I see a KLM flight to Amsterdam listed (code share with Air France and Australian Airlines). Other flights going to Korea and Japan, some of which may have connections to Europe/N. America.
https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-departures/

One mans experience .

From the comments , a more objective view maybe :

I was sent to Bangkok IDC last year for overstay, immigration arrested me on my way to the border to pay the fine and renew my visa, i also stayed in the room with the 2 Iranian gay guys, one big guy (who beat anyone who started trouble) and the smaller guy(who cut hair for 100baht)...they kept the place in order, i had no problem with them, they were strict but respectful, without them the place would be chaotic, the guy making this video obviously did'nt follow the rules, caused a scene and was punished the Thai way and then the IDC way....IDC is no way fun at all, but at least you have clean bathrooms, free meals each day, a flat screen tv on the wall playing english movies all day, are able to buy snacks, toiletries, cigarettes and other essentials if you have money, and have access to an embassy ambassador from your country who helped you contact family, arrange funds and arranged for you to finally be sent home.....this is thailand, this is how they deal with unwanted foreigners here, and its a whole different story being locked up in a Thai prison.....i was sent home to home to the UK after being given a 5 year ban from re-entering Thailand, i then flew to cambodia, paid a family who lived on the border to let me cross back into Thailand and have been living here with my Thai family ever since....lol ..IDC doesn't scare me, its just a process, and one day ill use it to get a free ride home again.....true story.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

I have visited IDC  (& most other prisons) it can be like that photo --& worse--or it can be quite empty, depending on the rate they move them out, (or how busy the BMW is these days)  as you can see from that pic ---not to many white faces ..the Embassy's usually sort something out in the end.  The best IME  Ireland --then Scandy's , USA is OK they will get you back, take it from your pension or something---Kiwi little better than Oz..........the UK rates quite low against them, never dealt with Canada.

In Pattaya they were using the old Immigration office -Soi 8 behind the Sailor Bar as it has cells in it.....

Covid-19...No Sorry no not been anywhere near a MH in 7 years.

Edited by sanuk711

16 hours ago, Sharon2020 said:

Hi Denim, Thank you for taking the time to write this. How quickly can you leave IDC if flights & money are both available?

I didn't write the paragraph below the videos. It was a copy paste of one of the comments below the videos. 

I have no direct experience of how quickly things can happen if flights and money are no option but you can do a google search or you tube search and you might find an answer. I would think that as there are fewer flights available than normally it could take a bit longer.  If I had a friend stuck in the IDC I would go there and talk to an immigration officer face to face to find out exactly what the procedure is and how long it takes.

If for whatever reason you cannot go in person you might ask somebody to go on your behalf.

This being Thailand I would imagine that things move quicker if the wheels get a little grease. Problem is knowing exactly which wheel needs the attention so best avoided if possible.