Sonkran Status In Pattaya

Phil Conners

Glad it is over,

From your keyboard to God's ears.

God is, however not living here, so I am happy to share the emotion with the locals, and I think it is a very special part of the Buddhist religion (...maybe too much in Pattaya) but as long as people enjoy it, there is nothing wrong about it, except for the stupid farangs with the big blue water canons.

Happy New Year to all of you :o

The big blue cannons are only as bad as the person using them, like anything used in a safe way its ok, but alcohol hmm, even the water pistols can rupture and ear drum or damage an eye, but lets not debate it, just they are all dangerous enough to harm, the police didnt even attempt to remove them today, maybe because there was no one to sell them to tomorrow.

Edited by bazmlb

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big blue cannons are only as bad as the person using ........................ the police didnt even attempt to remove them today, maybe because there was no one to sell them to tomorrow.

Surely you are not suggesting that the police were confiscating them only to resell?

Glad it is over,

From your keyboard to God's ears.

God is, however not living here, so I am happy to share the emotion with the locals, and I think it is a very special part of the Buddhist religion (...maybe too much in Pattaya) but as long as people enjoy it, there is nothing wrong about it, except for the stupid farangs with the big blue water canons.

Happy New Year to all of you :o

I love the tradition as well. The only problem is that in Pattaya it goes on, and on, and on... The first water throwing started more than a week ago. Yesterday was lovely, lots of people having fun. I'm just ready for it to end, and I'm worried that this weekend I'm going to be out and about and some dork is going to soak me and ruin my day. I'll leave my mobile phone and camera at home until Monday just to be safe.

Stayed close to 3rd Rd yesterday and it seemed everyone was having a good time. Took these pics from my local resturant at 3rd Rd and Soi 2. Went to pick up the GF arounf 10pm and the street cleaning trucks were out in force cleaning up the mess.

post-25614-1177041010_thumb.jpgpost-25614-1177041027_thumb.jpgpost-25614-1177041039_thumb.jpg

post-25614-1177041052_thumb.jpgpost-25614-1177041069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rdrokit

My first Songkran - And I loved it :D

Because of the traffic getting into Pattaya, myself and a few Thais stayed out on Sukhumvit, not far from Pat Klang, lots of Pickups full of revellers waiting to be soak and be soaked, I especially enjoyed Thais coming up to me to palm some paint on my face with a "Sabaii P P Mai " greeting whilst doing so, that for me is what its all about

I was fortunate to be with a group who had the common sense not to throw water at Motorcycles and anyone with babies :o

I kept away from the apparent madness happening in Pattaya central, I can imagine though :D

We had enough Sanook where we were without overdoing it :D

1PM ....... Just got back from 2nd Road and all clear. Soi Buakhow all clear as well.

Fingers crossed.

I managed to avoid most of the Songkhran until yesterday when I joined in myself. Had a great time.

Best Songkhran ever for me!

Lots of thai kids wandering round our soi with big water pistols, havent seen em soak anyone yet tho

Looks like mother nature wants to keep playing songkran today anyway, looks like rain

The Kids won't let go ......

my daughter has enjoyed herself so much over the last few days that she just wants to keep squirting. She has been told not to of course :o

Watch out for the Falang tonight and see what happens, saying that though it normally peters out

maybe you also post in the RAIN forum :D

Was vaguely pondering going out but can't be bothered if I'm going to get wet. I wonder how much money the bars in Pattaya are losing due to this mayhem.

Same as Bars in the west lose when they close for Christmas :o

I would think joe tourist who is going to get shitfaced no matter what, is not put off in the slightest. The "old hand" may well stay out in the east, or stare with disdain from his condo, but the " old hand " often nurses one beer as he watches the world go by, so is it such a great loss to the takings ??

how much trade is lost in bars and resturants over SonKran ?

To be honest, it was on in Koh samui and that ws enough for me, glad I missed it

How much trade is missed, well over songkran most of the bars were packed, went out last night and a lot that were full are now empty of Farang, its going to get quieter too with low season coming

Was vaguely pondering going out but can't be bothered if I'm going to get wet. I wonder how much money the bars in Pattaya are losing due to this mayhem.

Same as Bars in the west lose when they close for Christmas :o

Quite a few pubs are open all over Christmas, now the law is relaxed, some are even open at 9am and shut at modnight, always seem pretty busy