Assange fathered two children while holed up in embassy, lawyer says

webfact

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He ran and hid in the Ecuadorian Embassy to avoid extradition to Sweden, there was at the time no extradition request from the US.

But don’t let facts get in the way.

Assange always said he would not oppose his extradition to Sweden IF this government would garantee not to hand him out to the US. Sweden refused.

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s not how extradition works, but nevertheless by all means send the bill anyway.

The system is flawed and needs updating. A recent FoI request showed UK taxpayers spent GBP 12M ensuring Assange remained holed up in the Embassy. UK taxpayers didn't want him there & nor did HMG so why on earth should they pay the bill....& how much bigger is it now that he's in Belmarsh?

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Assange always said he would not oppose his extradition to Sweden IF this government would garantee not to hand him out to the US. Sweden refused.

And quite rightly so.

People under investigation don’t get the right to dictate to the justice systems the terms under which they, the suspect, gets to be investigated and/or held.

37 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The system is flawed and needs updating. A recent FoI request showed UK taxpayers spent GBP 12M ensuring Assange remained holed up in the Embassy. UK taxpayers didn't want him there & nor did HMG so why on earth should they pay the bill....& how much bigger is it now that he's in Belmarsh?

Well like I said, I’m all for sending the bill to Australia.

But you Mia an important point, Assange jumped bail and then proceeded to thumb his nose at the justice system holding court from the windows of the Ecuadorian Embassy.

You might think allowing a fugitive from the law to so very publicly flaunt the law is a good idea. The authorities don’t see it that way. I agree with them.

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You might think allowing a fugitive from the law to so very publicly flaunt the law is a good idea. The authorities don’t see it that way. I agree with them.

The ongoing extradition to the USA has nothing to do with that, nothing at all, but is for publishing news as a journalist. And a journalist should not be charged for publishing news.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And quite rightly so.

People under investigation don’t get the right to dictate to the justice systems the terms under which they, the suspect, gets to be investigated and/or held.

They certainly do.

He was not charged. If police want to question you then you can dictate when and where and how. If they dont agree you are under no obligation at all to answer.

So yes, anyone can and does dictate it.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well like I said, I’m all for sending the bill to Australia.

But you Mia an important point, Assange jumped bail and then proceeded to thumb his nose at the justice system holding court from the windows of the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Taking refuge in a consulate to avoid being extradited purely for questioning, because sweden refused to say he wont be sent to US is totally reasonable in my view.

Dont forget his only crime is jumping bail from questioning, not from any crime.

2 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

The ongoing extradition to the USA has nothing to do with that, nothing at all, but is for publishing news as a journalist. And a journalist should not be charged for publishing news.

Further, if it is ok for him to be charged for that then if justice is to be served then every news outlet that published it should be charged. You know, justice and all that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

They certainly do.

He was not charged. If police want to question you then you can dictate when and where and how. If they dont agree you are under no obligation at all to answer.

So yes, anyone can and does dictate it.

You are obliged to attend if extradited.

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

Taking refuge in a consulate to avoid being extradited purely for questioning, because sweden refused to say he wont be sent to US is totally reasonable in my view.

Dont forget his only crime is jumping bail from questioning, not from any crime.

Jumping bail is Contempt of Court, a very serious crime.

9 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

He’s not a journalist.

If he believes he is then he can make that case during his defense in an open court of law.

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And he’s fighting another now.

I look forward to it’s conclusion.

I think Sweden has withdrawn the request for him to be extradited.

Sweden drops Julian Assange rape investigation

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/19/sweden-drops-julian-assange-investigation