Fortress Phuket: The island ‘on hold’ as it contains Covid-19

webfact

Fortress Phuket: The island ‘on hold’ as it contains Covid-19

By The Thaiger

93118662_1432224063625830_81132470509691

PHOTOS: Phuket People's Voice

Starting today, Phuket goes into a stringent ‘lockdown’ phase which will restrict travel between all sub-districts and districts around the island. An alcohol ban is also in place until further notice. That started on Saturday, April 11.

The new restriction are now in play until April 26. During this time, unless you have exceptional medical or emergency circumstances, or government exemptions, you won’t be allowed to travel from your district or sub-district. There are 17 of these sub-districts in Phuket.

From the notice from the Phuket governor last Friday, he clearly wants Phuketians and visitors to stay in their homes as much as possible. But you are permitted to move within your sub-district for the purpose of buying food and other essential items. Deliveries of most essential service, including food, will still be allowed as well, but probably only within the same sub-district.

Public health workers will be moving door-to-door around the province to take the temperature of every occupant and check on their welfare. Anyone with a fever will be isolated, according to the Phuket Public Health Department. Phuket International Airport was closed to all commercial airline traffic last Friday. Cargo flights are still landing under strict inspection protocols. Food and other essential items, and most deliveries, are still allowed across the Sarasin Bridge connection between the island and the mainland.

This is NOT a 24 hour curfew where people are completely confined to their home. You can still buy essential items and food supplies or seek medical attention. We would suggest to any expat or visiting readers in Phuket to carry their passport and other vital medical or supporting documentation with them when they venture outside for shopping. The current nighttime curfew hours remain, as per the National Emergency decree.

The island’s number of new cases has levelled out and started dropping over the past week. There are currently 176 cases on Covid-19 identified on the island.

92475161_1432224143625822_89523350461491

Source: https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/fortress-phuket-the-island-on-hold-as-it-contains-covid-19

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2020-04-13

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

As long as we can still move around in the tambon then no ploblem

I dont understand why you removed the None Alcoholic beers off the shelf

I also had trouble buying non alcoholic beer outside the usual alcohol selling times. I think they just don't understand the difference.

• Like 1

But why 

There are absolutely no reason to do this except from the fact 

If you try to explain a stupid person he is wrong he gets angry (we know a few of those) but if you tell a intelligent person he is wrong he gets happy. 

Two young ladies at my Khao Rang door at 9.30 this morning, interested in my body temperature, 36.5 and personal details.

Was on holiday in The Gambia many years ago. Came across an enterprising young lad carrying a set of bathroom scales. Very friendly fella, perfect English, 12 he said he was.

weight yourself for 2 dalasi - 20p

Kid didn’t need the scales, could guess ya weight at a glance. 

Similar thing this morning, it makes sense that a human being could accuractly estimate anothers temp just by looking at them.

As a side note, a fun game to play, guessing anothers ‘particulars’

Stay safe at home

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, thaibutty said:

I also had trouble buying non alcoholic beer outside the usual alcohol selling times. I think they just don't understand the difference.

Just for fun, try buying some A&W root beer