Post 30th April - Realistic options?

Hi guys, 

It is "only" 17 days away until us who got an Covid-Amnesty has it expired. As things looks now all options of doing either a border run or a 3-5 day trip to another country with airplane, is closed (partly because traffic is non-existent and partly because you probably need a set of health documents to return). 

I don't mind "waiting this one out", however, I'm getting more stressed by the day that Immigration simply will make my stay illegal here. What do you think is immigrations next move post april 30th? All adjacent countries did a June 30 amnesty already, but Thailand hasnt budged. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Relax...try to make the best of your situation...worrying about what immigration will decide may drive you crazy...

Totally agree, keep checking news & stuff here, but with NO illusion of knowing for sure...

What I'll certainly do as I have a deadline & flight out on the 4th of May is to set aside anything but resolving it all once we get close to the 30th of April!

Thats when a lot of us ideally should be rested & happy with anything that is thrown at us, thats how we get through this... ????

• Like 2

my visa expires on the 30th.  i asked for a letter from my Embassy, but their auto-reply suggests not to worry as I don't need a letter now.  my luck, they will go back to normal on the 30th.  but, worse case, i'll have to buy a week for 1900.  it's a non-ob and work permit, so i'll have to cancel the work permit as well.  

haven't had a tourist visa in years, and no border runs this year.... so i have options.  

I do not think the land border run option is available immediately after April 30.  One option is to pay somehow to get visa extension.  If you do not know how, find an immigration layer who can help you.  Money talks and there is always a way.

You other option might be to wait for another visa amnesty. If no visa amnesty comes, you just have to pay the 500 baht per day fine when you fly out of Thailand.

My plan is to extend my visa somehow myself when my visa expires on May 3rd.  If I can do it myself, I do it myself.  If not, pay a lawyer to do it.  Not too rosy, but hey this is war situation now.  Play to be safe rather than sorry.

I plan to fly back to China in May.  Keep my figure crossed that China will be opened to foreigners then even if with some strings attached.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, fourpack said:

Personally if I was a tourist and was caught here. Looking at the news from EU and UK/USA. I would be staying exactly where I am in Thailand.

Partial lock down no beer no night life but fewer cases of Covid-19.

So to me makes perfect sense to stay put.

There are very few countries that are not in some form of lockdown or shutdown. Better to wait it out in Thailand in my opinion, in addition to the reason mentioned above, add warm weather, plentiful choice of takeaway food both delivered and at the small stalls, no restrictions on exercise. 

@OJas possible to go via Hong Kong, both BA and Virigin flying to Heathrow tonight. 

I just checked with my insurance company if everything holds up as usual even during covid-19 and that my home country have signaled a "come home"-policy: 

If I stay in Thailand the insurance will work as nothing has happened, and it does cover covid 19. 

With that said - I'll wait it out here. I hope that Thailand would extend the emergency decret past april 30th but seeing how they dragged this decision, and sending people back with 7 day extensions, my trust is a bit...damaged.  

11 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

With that said - I'll wait it out here. I hope that Thailand would extend the emergency decret past april 30th but seeing how they dragged this decision, and sending people back with 7 day extensions, my trust is a bit...damaged.  

The emergency decree will be extended.

Not the same as for the decision to allow people to stay in the country without needing a extension. When the emergency decree is extended the ability to stay will be extended at the same time it is.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

No flights going to the UK from BKK for any amount - modest or otherwise - at the present time!

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-departures/

EVA flew out on the 12th to LHR.

They will be doing the same on the 15th and at similar intervals thereafter.

This morning I booked to fly out with them on the 1st May for b12,365 + b990 seat choice.

Looks like I narrowly made it in "under the wire" because the next flights after that, on the 3rd, 6th, 8th and 10th (which were the same price) have just gone up to 20,835.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The emergency decree will be extended.

Not the same as for the decision to allow people to stay in the country without needing a extension. When the emergency decree is extended the ability to stay will be extended at the same time it is.

Do I interpret you correct that is your forecast/opinion that an embassy letter + documents would be sufficient for another 30 days, come 30th of april? 

I know that you can't spell the future, I'm just asking if I understood you correctly. 

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Yes, lots of flights available for fairly modest amounts"

Where have you found "lots of flights for fairly modest prices"?

Agree ,also once your out of Thailand going to be a lot harder to return on the current regulations 

20 hours ago, Enoon said:

EVA flew out on the 12th to LHR.

They will be doing the same on the 15th and at similar intervals thereafter.

This morning I booked to fly out with them on the 1st May for b12,365 + b990 seat choice.

Looks like I narrowly made it in "under the wire" because the next flights after that, on the 3rd, 6th, 8th and 10th (which were the same price) have just gone up to 20,835.

12000 baht haha Noooooooo

no one knows. However as everything is shoutdown they will sort it out. you will not be a criminal.

besides staying here must be better than England or USA. 

if you do not have money problem then simply stay.