Income Unverifyable

Before moving to Thailand at the age of 59, I made arrangements for royalties paid to me in respect of book sales to go directly from various publishers to an offshore bank. As I am no longer resident in my home country, I now, as far as my own country is concerned, legally enjoy a tax free status.

Although, so far, I have had no problem arranging for 800,000 Baht to be in my Thai bank account at the time of applying for a 12 month visa extension, there may come a time when that is not possible and I will have to rely on the requisite monthly transfers of 65,000 Baht. However, there is no possiblity of any monthly income being substantiated by my own Government as I am no longer a tax payer.

When I raised this matter with Thai Immigration at Nongkhai, they could not grasp that some people can have a tax free status and don't receive a pension from their own Government. Based on a monthly transfer scenario, I was told that even if I produced a letter from my Thai bank and receipts for all the monthly transfers, my visa would not be renewed as I could not not substantiate how and from where my monthly income is generated, albeit 800K in one lump annually is very acceptable and where it comes from is my business. :o

When I raised this matter with Thai Immigration at Nongkhai, they could not grasp

I can't see that they need to grasp anything. If you do not provide the required document from your Embassy you can not use this method. The fact that last year you remitted xx money each month does not mean you will or can next year. The cash in the bank proves you have the funds. Seems clear to me. :o

Keep 800,000 in the bank. If you are able to have the 65K sent to you each

month then you have no problems and show your transfer receipts when you renew your visa each year along with the 800K. If you can't do that your not retired your unemployed as far as paying taxes are concerned. Where are you from and where are you selling the product. Are you still creating income from back home sells and just avoiding taxes. Don't think that is legal and in todays

anti laundering system will be seen.

Before moving to Thailand at the age of 59, I made arrangements for royalties paid to me in respect of book sales to go directly from various publishers to an offshore bank. As I am no longer resident in my home country, I now, as far as my own country is concerned, legally enjoy a tax free status.

Although, so far, I have had no problem arranging for 800,000  Baht to be in my Thai bank account at the time of applying for a 12 month visa extension, there may come a time when that is not possible and I will have to rely on the requisite monthly transfers of 65,000 Baht. However, there is no possiblity of any monthly income being substantiated by my own Government as I am no longer a tax payer.

When I raised this matter with Thai Immigration at Nongkhai, they could not grasp that some people can have a tax free status and don't receive a pension from their own Government. Based on a monthly transfer scenario, I was told that even if I produced a letter from my Thai bank and receipts for all the monthly transfers, my visa would not be renewed as I could not not substantiate how and from where my monthly income is generated, albeit 800K in one lump annually is very acceptable and where it comes from is my business.  :o

I'm afraid that it is the 800,000 way for you. Your agents can only predict possible continuing sales. Immigration need something more tangible to rely on. Might the agents advance you some each year to top up the 800k if the need arises ?

However, there is no possiblity of any monthly income being substantiated by my own Government as I am no longer a tax payer.

Just in case the above quote creates some misunderstanding.

The Embassy letter that for example Certifies a Pension.

does not rely on the Embassy checking Tax Payments.

The British Embassy relies on a letter from the Institution paying the Pension.

And in my case I do not pay UK taxes.

But in your Case - I don't think that VARIABLE Royalties

will be acceptable to Immigration, even if you could get

Evidence from Publishers for The Embassy to Certify,

there is no guarantee that you will have the same Income next year.

Roger

Although, so far, I have had no problem arranging for 800,000  Baht to be in my Thai bank account at the time of applying for a 12 month visa extension, there may come a time when that is not possible and I will have to rely on the requisite monthly transfers of 65,000 Baht. However, there is no possiblity of any monthly income being substantiated by my own Government as I am no longer a tax payer.

When I raised this matter with Thai Immigration at Nongkhai, they could not grasp that some people can have a tax free status and don't receive a pension from their own Government. Based on a monthly transfer scenario, I was told that even if I produced a letter from my Thai bank and receipts for all the monthly transfers, my visa would not be renewed as I could not not substantiate how and from where my monthly income is generated, albeit 800K in one lump annually is very acceptable and where it comes from is my business.  :D

I'm afraid that it is the 800,000 way for you. Your agents can only predict possible continuing sales. Immigration need something more tangible to rely on. Might the agents advance you some each year to top up the 800k if the need arises ?

I am delighted that you agree with my previous posting Roger :o