What happens if Thailand opens early?

lee b

Hi guys,

I must apologize if this kind of question has been asked and anwsered already.

I have heard many things about what will happen when Thailand reopens its borders. I have a visa extension which is stamped under consideration until April 24th.

This however will be extended until April 30th when i return to immigration. But this is not my question. My real question is this, I have heard that when Thailand reopens the borders there will be a 7day exit period. How will this be possible if other countries haven't opened up by this time?

How do you think diffrent countries will go about reopening borders?

Do you also believe the 7 day rule really exists, and if so will it be cancelled if we still cant go anywhere, or will the overstay rule hit us ?

I may be over reacting but this is what is worrying me at the moment, and due to the fact rules can change overnight I have no idea what the near future will bring. Thanks for any information guys....

15 hours ago, lee b said:

My real question is this, I have heard that when Thailand reopens the borders there will be a 7day exit period. How will this be possible if other countries haven't opened up by this time?

How do you think diffrent countries will go about reopening borders?

Do you also believe the 7 day rule really exists, and if so will it be cancelled if we still cant go anywhere, or will the overstay rule hit us ?

The part of the decree that talks about a seven-day exit period only pertains to nationals of neighboring countries with border crossing cards. Once borders with each of those countries reopen, their nationals will have seven days to cross over and return home without penalty.

For visitors who entered on visas or visa exemptions, the decree says that once the situation has returned to normal, those people will have to address their situations (i.e., extend or depart) "within the timeframe specified by the Immigration Bureau". Although some immigration officers at some offices have (according to TV members) unofficially speculated that that timeframe will also be seven days, we have no idea at this point.

So, we will need to wait for (1) an announcement that the situation is considered calm enough that people will have to deal with their visa issues (presumably at a time when airports and land borders are operating somewhat normally), and (2) another announcement of how long folks will have to address those issues before overstay or other penalties kick in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The part of the decree that talks about a seven-day exit period only pertains to nationals of neighboring countries with border crossing cards. Once borders with each of those countries reopen, their nationals will have seven days to cross over and return home without penalty.

For visitors who entered on visas or visa exemptions, the decree says that once the situation has returned to normal, those people will have to address their situations (i.e., extend or depart) "within the timeframe specified by the Immigration Bureau". Although some immigration officers at some offices have (according to TV members) unofficially speculated that that timeframe will also be seven days, we have no idea at this point.

So, we will need to wait for (1) an announcement that the situation is considered calm enough that people will have to deal with their visa issues (presumably at a time when airports and land borders are operating somewhat normally), and (2) another announcement of how long folks will have to address those issues before overstay or other penalties kick in.

Thanks for the reply, It also anwsers the question of what a border crossing card is....

The ¿question"? may be academic with consideration to another 'I heard'. Just several hours ago I had a talk with another farang specific to this very subject and he offered a letter he had received from a friend who lives in Chiangmai but is 'stuck' in Da Nang, VN.  The crux of the 'letter of transit from da nang' was that the word there is that starting 2 July Thailand will start offering only 2 types of visa, one a 30 day entry and traveler must exit Thailand, no extension, or another, a 90 day, 2-entry visa.  Further, writer bemoaned that he’d like to have long stay in Da Nang but that type of long stay is not available and would liked to have done it insofar as pollution in Chiangmai and was now bemoaning the same proposal, just outlined, for Thailand.  Letter writer expressly stated that there’d be only 2 visas offered from that date, proposed, and no others.  What I write here is all I know so I cannot answer any speculation nor have I any other info.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lee b said:

Normally one's home country will always allow one in, you need to check eventually transit points, if you cannot find a direct non-stop flight home.

But to my knowledge, you can still leave Thailand, and there are still some outgoing flights available, I saw that my home country's embassy in Bangkok listed a number of flights with connection points to Europe on the 13th April, including an airline with daily outgoing flights, so it's a question where you originate from.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lee b said:

Yeah your prob correct, cheers guys

You don't have to leave the country in 7 days when this is over. It's only for stranded people from neighbouring countries. They just have to cross the border. 

21 hours ago, lee b said:

I have heard

Never listen to rumors. Check reliable sources first, before you start to worry.

None of us know what tomorrow will bring.

And whatever it is, not much we can do about it, except do as we are told.

And ....., get rid of friends who create rumors like this.