Virus able to survive in 60C temperatures

RJRS1301

The coronavirus can survive long exposures to high temperatures, a new peer-reviewed study published on Biorxiv has shown.

Before the nah sayers begin attacking the conspiracy of news outlets of the source link, go to the paper as published

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/sarscov2-virus-able-to-survive-in-60c-temperatures/news-story/20421e370f8e10f675ee296e92928de2

You can read an abstract of the paper here https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.11.036855v1

Do note the yellow highlighted text at the top of the page.

Also note the definition of a "6-log reduction" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterility_assurance_level 

Thus a process that achieves a "6-log reduction" (10−6) will theoretically reduce an initial population of one million organisms to very close to zero.

6 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Temps are one thing, but I would be more concerned with half life of the virus when exposed to the suns UV rays considering Thailands proximity to the equator. 

Exactly, there is a difference between surviving and flourishing. Also interesting, if you read the reports here in Thailand, is that most cases are spread from close contact with someone that already has the virus. 

According to one German study the virus doesn't survive on surfaces as well as has been thought. Or even if it does, at least it is usually not very contagious. Even in households with family members who had the corona the virus didn't actually thrive on surfaces.

4 minutes ago, Aland said:

Exactly, there is a difference between surviving and flourishing. Also interesting, if you read the reports here in Thailand, is that most cases are spread from close contact with someone that already has the virus. 

I would suspect that most cases globally are spread from close contact considering roughly half of infected people are asymptomatic but still spread. 

I pay attention to how long the virus stays active in different temps and different exposure to UV Light because of shipping and home deliveries. 

The title of this thread is completely taken out of context. The whole paper is actually available as a PDF download. The conclusion actually explains the entire purpose:

Considering that low SARS-CoV-2 viremia is observed in COVID-19 patients even at the acute stage of the disease (18), the 56°C-30min and 60°C-60min protocols commonly used before serology appears as sufficient...In contrast, when processing respiratory samples commonly exhibiting much higher viral loads (23), only the 92°C-15min protocol showed total inactivation.

They are just saying that in order to deactivate a sample before testing, you have to use an appropriate protocol. 60 degrees for 60 minutes is fine if it is a blood sample, because the viremia (viral presence) is so low to begin with. However, for a respiratory sample, you should use the more intensive process to guarantee all particles are destroyed.

The virus does not survive well at 60 degrees C. It just doesn't completely die off in 60 minutes at that temperature.

Edited by Monomial
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I would suspect that most cases globally are spread from close contact considering roughly half of infected people are asymptomatic but still spread. 

I pay attention to how long the virus stays active in different temps and different exposure to UV Light because of shipping and home deliveries. 

Well all you need to do to be safe is heat yourself or your deliveries to more than 60°C for more than 60 minutes. Useful and comforting to know, isn't it?

Well, no it isn't, because this is @&*$ing impossible, and the original observation is not related in any way to disease transmission in the real world, so just ignore this for the irrelevance it is !

Edited by partington

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

There is still the possibility that though the virus may be able to survive at higher temperature and humidity it may not thrive and that's enough to make the difference.  

Virus needs a host, locks onto healthy cells, penetrates it then replicates itself for its survival.

I think the paper is very interesting as the scientists are working continuously to know as much as possible about it to attempt to find answers. Keeping open minds, and able to challenge themselves and previous information from other scientific sources. Keep open minds as scientist need to and challenge their concepts.

This is what assisted to find the current treatments for HIV.

Edited by RJRS1301

Really? I've read (about) anpother study which concludes: a) 8.72 degrees Celsius is the "optimal" temperature for the cv and b) heat kills it. 60 degrees C is kinda extreme, at least for a naturally occuring virus.