Forum upgrade in progress! ×

When can we buy alcohol again?

Oxx

10 minutes ago, SidJames said:

It's the 20th.

Can folks head down early doors & wait for opening time at the 7?

Even if the ban is lifted, 7/11 won't sell untill 11.00am.

I will be sending Mrs C to queue up at the door, as I am being very strict about my self-isolation.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

Alcohol can be sold from 11am (unless an extension of the ban is announced before then).

In Bangkok the ban is through the 20th. Meaning it can be sold again on the 21st.

In Pathumthani at least, the ban is only through the 19th, so in theory it should be available at 11am today.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, vogie said:

The governor of Bangkok will be hosting a meeting today on the alcohol ban, he is expected to extend the ban untill the 30th of April.

The press is already reporting the utterly pointless and moronic ban has been so extended by the utterly pointless and moronic authorities here.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/11908/no-alcohol-until-the-end-of-the-month-for-bangkokians/

• Like 1

Noticed some idiot sign at Rimping yesterday saying they won't sell til 30th of April, had a bad feeling since. 
This entire lockdown and curfew is a joke. We have more people dying in traffic accidents than of Corona, even after 10 years from today.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The press is already reporting the utterly pointless and moronic ban has been so extended by the utterly pointless and moronic authorities here.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/11908/no-alcohol-until-the-end-of-the-month-for-bangkokians/

Pathum Thani is enforcing the ban until the 30th as well. A lady shopping at 7-11 claims it was said on tv and the store has no booze on sight so I believe it. 

On 4/17/2020 at 8:47 PM, Thainess said:

They should extend the ban forever. Introduce permanent alcohol prohibition. Thailand is a Buddhist country and Buddhists aren't supposed to drink alcohol. If alcoholic westerners can't do without their drug fix, they can move to Cambodia or Vietnam instead. The quality of western tourists in Thailand will then increase massively.

What is the majority religion of Cambodia & Vietnam?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

This topic is about a countrywide ban on selling and transporting alcohol, it's not about opening hours.

Yes, on SELLING alcohol. So if the local shop GIVES it to you, and charges you Bht 200 for a bog roll...................

30 minutes ago, JTXR said:

This sucks.

The day the Bangkok ban was announced — a ban for 10 days, mind you — my whole household assumed it was to discourage gatherings during Songkran, so we estimated how much alcohol we had in the house and went out to make up the difference and ensure a 10-day stock. 

This last-minute extension hurts only ordinary folks, including many many folks who are happy to stay home and do social distancing for the public good, but who enjoy a drink or two, especially when stuck at home with few other options.

Does anyone really think that the bigwigs making these decisions can't procure alcohol any time they want? 

I agree.  Bought a few cases, and didn't consider it a problem.  Earlier, I said they aren't sticking to the deal, but deals with soldiers and police rarely involve contracts, but I say there was an implied deal, that they broke..same result.  Of course, the punks on loud motorbikes didn't comply, they never comply with anything, that is how punk culture operates..they can't do anything to get ahead, and their best buddies are usually their worst enemies.  Saw the cops breaking up a party under a bridge by the river last Monday..they were getting <deleted> tested, too.  Probably had fewer than five bottles of Chang for the group of 15, but they still insisted on huddling together, even with zero females present.  So now the rest of us have to pay..

Edited by moontang

They should extend the ban forever. Introduce permanent alcohol prohibition. Thailand is a Buddhist country and Buddhists aren't supposed to drink alcohol. If alcoholic westerners can't do without their drug fix, they can move to Cambodia or Vietnam instead. The quality of western tourists in Thailand will then increase massively.

Go back to the Prohibition era between 1920 and 1933 in the USA. The only thing it achieved was a massive increase in organized crime.

You don't think Thailand has enough problems on its plate with methamphetamine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If alcoholic westerners can't do without their drug fix, they can move to Cambodia or Vietnam instead. The quality of western tourists in Thailand will then increase massively.

Will probably the same quality level as the Saudi Arabia tourist I guess

On 4/17/2020 at 9:47 AM, Thainess said:

Or you could move to the middle east where many counties have prohibited alcohol.  Seems you choose to live in a country where the laws are generally loose with this substance.

Please also consider that Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religions all also frown on alcohol consumption.  This being a Buddhist country has little to nothing to do with it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JTXR said:

This sucks.

The day the Bangkok ban was announced — a ban for 10 days, mind you — my whole household assumed it was to discourage gatherings during Songkran, so we estimated how much alcohol we had in the house and went out to make up the difference and ensure a 10-day stock. 

This last-minute extension hurts only ordinary folks, including many many folks who are happy to stay home and do social distancing for the public good, but who enjoy a drink or two, especially when stuck at home with few other options.

Does anyone really think that the bigwigs making these decisions can't procure alcohol any time they want? 

The day it was announced i also wen to the store with the thought of picking up a 10 day supply.  My wife then reminded me that TIT and there would be a solid chance of an extension.  I then procured a months supply to be safe.

Live and learn.  Im sure there are some mom and pop shops in your network who would find a way to meet your demand.  

On 4/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, Thainess said:

This guy posts some spectacularly outlandish rubbish....  this post is up there with the greatest. 

I very much doubt the quality of western tourists would be improved by such a sanctimonious bore or people like him, they’d be too busy telling everyone else what they should and shouldn’t be doing. 

1 hour ago, yourauntbob said:

Or you could move to the middle east where many counties have prohibited alcohol.  Seems you choose to live in a country where the laws are generally loose with this substance.

Please also consider that Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religions all also frown on alcohol consumption.  This being a Buddhist country has little to nothing to do with it.  

Jewish law recognizes a special blessing on drinking wine, which is said only when people drink together in fellowship – never when they drink alone. Wine that cheers the hearts of men, oil that makes the face shine, and bread that sustains man's life.

17 hours ago, JTXR said:

This sucks.

This last-minute extension hurts only ordinary folks,

what utter tripe. Banning the sale of alcohol doesn’t “hurt” anyone.

they want to taken pressure off public resources, police hospitals etc by reducing the Social problems associated with alcohol. 

Look at the figures. Thailand has a grip on COVID19 better than most countries, the measures are working, why change? 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

what utter tripe. Banning the sale of alcohol doesn’t “hurt” anyone.

they want to taken pressure off public resources, police hospitals etc by reducing the Social problems associated with alcohol. 

Look at the figures. Thailand has a grip on COVID19 better than most countries, the measures are working, why change? 

Banning of alcohol may not hurt anyone but it is a freedom that the government is removing from it's citizens. Everyone should have the freedom of choice to buy something that is not illegal, why not ban blancmange and trifle, it may stop children throwing it at each other resulting in jelly eye.

Did you know that Icelands President Gudni Johanneson tried to have pineapple banned as a topping on pizzas.

Be carefull what you wish for and how much power you wish your governments to have, they could well ban something you like to enjoy.

I'm alright (Jack).

Nearly 3 bottles of run, 1 bottle of Raspberry Vodka and half a bottle of gin left.

I'm good for at least another month (even if my local mom and pop store ran out).

They'll never run out of Lao Kao sold in the 'Red Bull/M-150' bottles.

What, you thought all those Thai guys actually drink Red Bull and M-150?

Edited by BritManToo