86 Khon Kaen medics quarantined after fifth Covid case emerges

snoop1130

By The Nation

800_56cb824af948dd4.jpg

Khon Kaen’s Nam Phong Hospital has had to quarantine 86 medical personnel after a 63-year-old Covid-19 patient visited the hospital on Tuesday (April 14).

All 86 had made contact with the patient before tests revealed that she was infected and she was sent to Khon Kaen Hospital for treatment. So far, only 35 medics have been allowed to return home.

The hospital is now screening visitors before allowing them to enter the building and it has closed some portions where the Covid-19 patient had visited for sanitisation. This is the fifth Covid-19 case to emerge in the province

The authorities have also closed 10 routes to Kut Nam Sai village in Nam Phong district, where the woman came from, and left only three main roads open in order to control people’s movements and cut down on the contagion.

The woman is believed to have contracted the virus from her son, who has only just returned from a high-risk location but tested negative for the virus.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386054

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-15

28 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

All 86 had made contact with the patient before tests revealed that she was infected and she was sent to Khon Kaen Hospital for treatment.

I find that hard to believe personally.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The authorities have also closed 10 routes to Kut Nam Sai village in Nam Phong district, where the woman came from, and left only three main roads open in order to control people’s movements and cut down on the contagion.

what a mess 

so they have basically isolated everyone in the village 

what next ?

send in food on a long stick and leave them to it

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

what a mess 

so they have basically isolated everyone in the village 

what next ?

send in food on a long stick and leave them to it

They are taking the right approach, and the approach every country should take as they try to return to normalcy... if you have one case in an area - cordon off the area in a quarantine.  As most people should not be moving around anyway in the general quarantine... it should not affect anyone except maybe someone that was designated an essential service.  They can allow for deliveries - with no contact... and allow for medical personnel to respond to severe cases and testing... but the response they are taking is the correct on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is not that difficult... and it is why surprising a hospital as a walking is not advised... (i.e. call first that you are a COVID potential).  If they treated her as old and suffering other ailments rather than COVID (because of the lack of a link at the time) -- everyone within a room, or any room that she moves to and any person who entered the room could be contaminated if they were not in correct N95 masks and other PPE equipment (as well as those touching the surface).   One person can lead to a quarantine of an entire medical facility that is not setup for COVID only response.  Best to be careful and not take any chances. 

Have you much experience of hospitals here?

Well i certainly have, in the last 6 years, more than 70 visits to 2 different hospitals.

Never had more than 12/ 14 staff near me, so 86 is a very BIG over the top figure.

Either bad reporting, or someone making up figures to be more dramatic.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well i certainly have, in the last 6 years, more than 70 visits to 2 different hospitals.

Never had more than 12/ 14 staff near me, so 86 is a very BIG over the top figure.

Not just near you...  but anyone who came in contact with the room you were in (before sanitization), anyone transporting you (anyone that used that transport after), the support staff taking information, the swarm of nurses that did have direct contact with you -- anyone that used any room you were in (as the virus droplets can hang in the air in rooms with little circulation), anyone that handled the paperwork that you filled in, basically anyone in contact with any object (potential fomites) near you... So you may have 12/14 staff in direct contact but you have staff that use the same facilities which you were potentially contaminated (at least 24 hours of access)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is not that difficult... and it is why surprising a hospital as a walking is not advised... (i.e. call first that you are a COVID potential).  If they treated her as old and suffering other ailments rather than COVID (because of the lack of a link at the time) -- everyone within a room, or any room that she moves to and any person who entered the room could be contaminated if they were not in correct N95 masks and other PPE equipment (as well as those touching the surface).   One person can lead to a quarantine of an entire medical facility that is not setup for COVID only response.  Best to be careful and not take any chances. 

In our village we are under instructions NOT to go to a hospital or clinic if we display flu like symptoms. We're told to self isolate and contact the medical coordinator. The doctor will come to the patient,

I had assumed that this would be a nationwide instruction and maybe it is, but not everyone listens do they.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Justgrazing said:
13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The woman is believed to have contracted the virus from her son, who has only just returned from a high-risk location but tested negative for the virus.

13 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Dodgy test kit .? an illustration of how far this can proliferate from one person said to have tested neg' ..

Why do you say that? There have been many people who have the virus but are asymptomatic. Why would someone who has no symptoms be tested in the first place?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

1 patient, 86 medics.

Pleeeeease.

It didn’t state 86 medics, it’s said 86 medical personnel which could mean anyone working within the hospital. No doubt the reporting could be poor and the 86 persons might well include friends and neighbours.  Incase you didn’t know, viruses spread exponentially. 

• Thanks 1

The son who is actually a ladyboy had just returned from working in Bahrain. He was apparently cleared at Suvarnabhumi and had been home for 14 days as per quarantine rules. After the 14 days he then went to Bangkok and Pattaya so god only knows how many he has been in contact with. The authorities are now aware of his travels as he has reported to them since his mother became sick. 

3 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

It didn’t state 86 medics, it’s said 86 medical personnel which could mean anyone working within the hospital. No doubt the reporting could be poor and the 86 persons might well include friends and neighbours.  Incase you didn’t know, viruses spread exponentially. 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

A woman visits hospital, and 86 staff come in contact with her?

How was that possible?

The patient touches a desk a couple of chairs a couple of doors etc etc, you don't have to touch to come into contact with this invisible monster, and  the son will have had contacted many.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

So you only read the headlines then spout out what suits your agenda. Try reading the arrival and use common sense.

Khon Kaen’s Nam Phong Hospital has had to quarantine 86 medical personnel after a 63-year-old Covid-19 patient visited the hospital on Tuesday (April 14).

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The hospital is now screening visitors before allowing them to enter the building and it has closed some portions where the Covid-19 patient had visited for sanitisation. This is the fifth Covid-19 case to emerge in the province

hahahha, now screening .... you cannot enter a tesco/7/11 without mask & temperature for weeks, but in a HOSPITAL.. they will NOW start screening

man oh man, this is fun to read

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

So you only read the headlines then spout out what suits your agenda. Try reading the arrival and use common sense.

Khon Kaen’s Nam Phong Hospital has had to quarantine 86 medical personnel after a 63-year-old Covid-19 patient visited the hospital on Tuesday (April 14).

Whatever, but I don't think friends and relatives are classed as medical personnel.

"The hospital is now screening visitors before allowing them to enter the building"

So the hospital previously was not testing people entering the building ???
All and any people, hospital staff at all levels included, SHOULD BE tested - or is just too difficult for a hospital to understand ?

Even 7/11 have the wherewithall / decency to test before you enter the shop in my local town.

I have just purchased a 3 month supply of my single medicine from a pharmacy ( yes it was more expensive than that supplied by the hospital ) rather than attend my 3 month check up at my local hospital.     My condition has been stable for years.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Colin, you surprise and shock me.  You’ve just defeated your own argument. If you as 1 person has 12/14 staff around you and those 12/14 are in contact with 12/14 then the virus spreads exponentially. 
I’d agree with you that the reporting is bad but I don’t think the figures are made up. If anything in Thailand the figures would be reported as less. 

18 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Dodgy test kit .? an illustration of how far this can proliferate from one person said to have tested neg' ..

But when did he test negative, was it on arrival which would prove the reliability argument, if he did prove negative on arrival let this be a lesson to all who are wanting to open the gates to tourists any time soon, there would  be a huge backlash if infection rates rocket 2 weeks after welcoming the tourists especially those who only eat in 7/11 and wont be spending the money in the bars and on street food.

1 hour ago, Tongjaw said:

The title does say Medics, so once again misleading and poorly written sensational headlines...

• Like 1