U.S. coronavirus death toll tops 30,000, New Yorkers told to wear masks

webfact

50 minutes ago, Tug said:

It will be over 40,000 dead by Sunday morning us time sad 

Yet trump and his supporters will sell this as a success. A fantastic one with all the superlatives you can imagine. 

On 4/16/2020 at 1:41 PM, phkauf said:

Here are a few:

- very densely populated, with crowed transport, stores, restaurants and offices, similar to Tokyo and big cities in China, but virtually no one wears a mask in NYC. It's a cultural thing. I lived there for more than 20 years and it was rare to see any non-asian wear a mask. In Tokyo, it is expected that you wear a mask if you are sick so not to infect others. Just yesterday they finally required masks to be worn.

- the idiot Mayor was downplaying the potential severity of the virus as late as early-March telling people to go to the movies and see a Broadway show. He refused to close the schools until the Governor forced him. If they had taken it more seriously in early-March, things would not have been so bad.

- the city's hospital system is massively underfunded (decades long problem) and poorly designed for this type of problem. People just didn't go to the hospital for fear of getting sick there. A friend told me his buddies on the NYPD are responding to a huge spike in DOA calls from people unable or afraid to go to the hospital.

- NY'ers themselves are to blame since they have a very independent, arrogant attitude that they can do what they want (I'm guilty as charged as well) and don't need to play by the rules. Until things got really, really bad people just went about life as if nothing was different.

Totally agree with you. I wonder how many deaths can laid at the feet of these idiots.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/nyregion/coronavirus-bill-de-blasio.html

In powerful show of defiance of #coronavirus scare, huge crowds gathering in NYC's Chinatown for ceremony ahead of annual #LunarNewYear parade. Chants of "be strong Wuhan!" If you are staying away, you are missing out!

5:00 AM · Feb 10, 2020·Twitter for Android
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

It shows they got $6 billion last year.  I expect a little more than being told to sing happy birthday three times while washing my hands on PSA for that kind of cheese. 

https://www.cdc.gov/budget/documents/fy2020/cdc-overview-factsheet.pdf

Science was being censored, and moral degraded.  They can make better money elsewhere, and be appreciated.  This has happened government wide under the trump administration.  Replacing career professionals with lackeys.  It’s third world bs.

That is a relatively low budget 

5 hours ago, muzley said:

Totally agree with you. I wonder how many deaths can laid at the feet of these idiots.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/nyregion/coronavirus-bill-de-blasio.html

In powerful show of defiance of #coronavirus scare, huge crowds gathering in NYC's Chinatown for ceremony ahead of annual #LunarNewYear parade. Chants of "be strong Wuhan!" If you are staying away, you are missing out!

5:00 AM · Feb 10, 2020·Twitter for Android

I don't disagree with you that Di Blasio has been an idiot, in particular early March.

As about this particular event, it has not been more dangerous than other crowded events and surely much less than events which happened much later in the US. Chinatown has not been particular related to the outburst and the virus strain in N.Y. has been identified as coming from Europe.