Iranian vessels come dangerously close to U.S. military ships

webfact

9 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Keep siding with regimes that torture and murder their own people while stifling their freedoms.

You mean the same torture and freedom stifling the USA performs on other countries?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Off topic posts and replies about Gitmo have been removed.

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from some site and the replies have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

1 hour ago, Mbaki said:

You mean the same torture and freedom stifling the USA performs on other countries?

Thank you for choosing the Iranian Mullahs and the totalitarian CCP over established Democratic republics. This is who you are. Embrace yourself. Thank you for letting me know who I am speaking to. The story here is about a US warship in international waters being harrassed. You defend Iran and likewise the CCP playing the same game against several countries in South China Sea, just like Iran does not choose to harrass the USA alone but bother many in the Persian Gulf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Maybe they played one of the 1 to 2 hour so-called 'national virus situation press briefings' by Trump to drive them mad or make them laugh so hard they lost control of the vessels while peeing themselves hahahahahahaha

Are you over 8 years old?

• Haha 1

The contingent in support of Iran and CCP attacks and or harrassment against international shipping is out in full support of evil today.

Perhaps some perspective.

Last year Iran harrassed and attacked shipping on more then one occassion in international waters. These ships were NOT flying the US flag nor were they serving US Companies. 

In the South China Sea, using their 9 dash imaginary line the CCP has harrassed  several fishing and merchant ships from several countries, also in international waters. 

The USA continues to conduct freedom of Navigation operations in international waters to keep these waters open in accordance with international law.

When Iran chooses to send their young men in small boats to harrass US warships in international waters they do so knowing they put Iranian lives at risk as if no more than cannon fodder.

These operations are dangerous and therefore result in diplomatic complaints to pertainant international bodies.

When a ship goes to General quarters men are running full speed across and up or down several decks, while the ship is making evasive maneuvers, while donning combat gear, as hatches are being slammed shut as they attempt to slide through. Despite repeated drilling this is in itself a dangerous operation.

Meanwhile as gun and missile stations are manned all anxiously await, not happily or gleefully, an order which will potentially result in dead people, while at the same time having thoughts of a weapon being used against them. It is a very tense time. It's not funny. There is no hoorah attitude in such moments.

The people here who would support regimes that harrass international shipping by these sick regimes are a sick bunch. Who are either filled with self hatred, or hate the current international order, presumably because they would like it to be run by China or Iran.

They claim to care about goodness and honesty and wax philosophically about their own virtue and how much they care about the world, but in light of Irans attacks on International shipping last year, here they are to defend the regime. A murderous regime that they argue is equitable with the USA. These people make me want to vomit!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

As someone who served there previously and has been at GQ with missiles on the rail you have no idea what I wish to say to you right now. But you are not worthy of the expenditure of any emotion on my part or worthy of anything else.

Be careful, he will want you deported as well.....You think I'm joking....????

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Obviously I am dealing with yet another person who is either ignorant of - or condones such behavior. Yet another who supports such regimes while finding fault in Western Democracy. 

No, you are dealing with someone who is tired of the 200 years of continues wars by the USA to either put their favorite people in power or steal the local resources.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, you are dealing with someone who is tired of the 200 years of continues wars by the USA to either put their favorite people in power or steal the local resources.

List the wars that the USA has started, not asked to help, started, in your last 200 years......?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You are just another one that denies International law. International law states that there is no international waters in the Persian gulf. That due to that economical corridor is up to 200 nm and is taken into the calculation regarding international waters or not. Got it? Still in denial?

The area in question is the Straits of Hormuz, of which a small part of it could technically be claimed by Iran and Oman under the 12 Nautical mile rule, there is a point where it narrows down to less than 24NM.

Ships are allowed to navigate this under UN agreements.

The strait is about 90 nautical miles (167 km) long, with a width varying from about 52 nautical miles (96 km) to 21 nautical miles (39 km)

Iran try these skirmishes on from time to time, foreign navies are only there to allow freedom of passage for vessels.

There is an interesting video on youtube that documents HMS Duncan's time there just after the Stena Impero was taken by the Iranian forces, the Iranians back down when they do get lit up by the fire control radars and all the weaponry starts to track...........

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Hear Hear

I especially like the one about Lend Lease - make Billions on the suffering of their Allies

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Hear Hear

I especially like the one about Lend Lease - make Billions on the suffering of their Allies

Another example where we find the Operative makes a quick run to wikipedia finds something obscure and tries to fit it in. Even though it comes off so strangely it isn't picked up by the Operative as context is lost upon him. The Propaganda Ministry severely suffers from thousands of years of closed culture. And recent steps into the modern world leave them sorely lacking. Try as they may, and the English is perfect, they still come across as 3rd rate if even compared to Nazi attempts to get behind enemy lines. They're a riot! Example such as this are all over TVF pick a subject and they are there. Nuance is lost on them and they smoke out as easy as termites.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

The area in question is the Straits of Hormuz, of which a small part of it could technically be claimed by Iran and Oman under the 12 Nautical mile rule, there is a point where it narrows down to less than 24NM.

Ships are allowed to navigate this under UN agreements.

The strait is about 90 nautical miles (167 km) long, with a width varying from about 52 nautical miles (96 km) to 21 nautical miles (39 km)

Iran try these skirmishes on from time to time, foreign navies are only there to allow freedom of passage for vessels.

There is an interesting video on youtube that documents HMS Duncan's time there just after the Stena Impero was taken by the Iranian forces, the Iranians back down when they do get lit up by the fire control radars and all the weaponry starts to track...........

I do not understand how hard it is to get it! I have been posting this in a couple of places in this thread already, but I will do it again for you.

Just search "International waters in the Persian Gulf" on Google.  If you bother to read some of the search results you will find out that international law clearly states the there is no international waters in the Persian Gulf. One of those results is below. Have fun!

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

High Seas or "international waters" is defined as the waters beyond the Territorial waters (up to 12 nautical miles) and beyond the Exclusive Economic Zone (up to 200 nm) of a coastal state. ... The entire Persian Gulf is divided between the respective Exclusive Economic Zones of the coastal states.
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Mattd said:

You have a lot to learn

No I don´t, but you have. For the EEZ to not count something called "innocent passage" must be given. Clearly that is up to the country to decide if that does not pose a threat to the nations security. Maybe the sight of US warships, is deemed to be a threat. Especially, when Mr. Trump is such a good person to discuss things without getting frustrated and angry.

However, if they deem it´s a possible threat to the nation, they can close the "innocent passage" And that is something that you agree to call international waters? Do you find that anywhere else in the world? Do you understand that is the reason why they say there is no international waters in the Persian Gulf?

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Another example where we find the Operative makes a quick run to wikipedia finds something obscure and tries to fit it in.

Sorry - but I lost family in that conflict

Way Way before the internet I was taught that by my elders.

• Confused 1

The Middle East nations have every right to be concerned by the presence of American warships off their shores.

What may be seen by one side as 'Showing the Flag' is viewed by the other side as an Act of Aggression - whether real or perceived.

And based on past examples they have every right to be concerned - frightened even.

If even a modicum of good will, concern, or compassion was shown by those 'Invaders" the outcome would be decidedly different.

But that is a Forlorn Hope

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No I don´t, but you have. For the EEZ to not count something called "innocent passage" must be given. Clearly that is up to the country to decide if that does not pose a threat to the nations security. Maybe the sight of US warships, is deemed to be a threat. Especially, when Mr. Trump is such a good person to discuss things without getting frustrated and angry.

However, if they deem it´s a possible threat to the nation, they can close the "innocent passage" And that is something that you agree to call international waters? Do you find that anywhere else in the world? Do you understand that is the reason why they say there is no international waters in the Persian Gulf?

The above comment explains it quite nicely. I understand this stuff gets complicated but you're way off course.

• Like 1

Is seen 

On 4/16/2020 at 7:14 AM, webfact said:

Four Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy (IRGCN) vessels, some of several to maneuver in what the U.S. Navy says are "unsafe and unprofessional actions against U.S. Military ships by crossing the ships’ bows and sterns at close range" is seen next to the guided-missile destroyer USS Paul Hamilton

Would have hoped for better from Reuters.

Poor grammar aside, the us is a weak as it has ever been right now, perhaps not the best time for posturing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Is seen 

Poor grammar aside, the us is a weak as it has ever been right now, perhaps not the best time for posturing.

Ummmm... it's Iran that was doing the posturing. Now... on what facts do you base your assertion that the US is as weak as its ever been?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That has nothing to do with it! International law clearly states there are no International waters in the Persian Gulf. You know it too, but you can not betray your countries way of looking at it. That´s just all on a patriotic level that has noting to do with the facts.

Yep, and your power is starting to fade. The day will come. Mr. Trump is putting one nail after the other in your golden coffin.

Innocent passage? Yes! International water? No! Even more easy, just for you. ???? 

There are many countries "war" ships patrolling the Gulf, not just the USA....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Is seen 

The us is a weak as ...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

There are many countries "war" ships patrolling the Gulf, not just the USA....

Obviously, they prefer Iran over the US. I guess we're supposed to ignore previous Iranian military attacks on commercial vessels and do nothing.

• Like 2