Stocking Up My Freezer during the Lockdown

PhotoJohn

Fun to read this sincere if somewhat contentious (perhaps not so contentious by TV standards) thread. I have my own dietary approach honed by 44 years of study including going back to a mainstream university for a Bachelors degree in Human Nutrition. Many people would consider me a health nut and I don’t eat red meat. The only reason I mention this is to say even if you consider yourself a picky eater, Auf de Au German Buffet, which I stumbled onto, has such a variety of choices and such a very low price that almost any kind of eater will be able to find something they enjoy, especially if they don’t mind indulging their sweet tooth once in a while. I mostly post this because like all the posters complimenting the owner of Pun Pun Guesthouse, I found the owner and staff at Auf de Au German Buffet to be extremely nice and very kind and would like to support them, especially in these hard times.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 5:40 PM, beau thai said:

A quick thank you to the OP for flagging the option of stocking the freezer from the original Pun Pun Guest House. Just got around to doing that and took the opportunity to have late breakfast with John and Prannee. Good company and good food. We will return....

Thanks for the mention B T & P. good having you stop by and now I can put a face to the name.  Hope you enjoy your treats.....   and remember maybe a choc cake next time.   I just finished my last slice this morning with my coffee.  Thanks again J & P

On 4/18/2020 at 11:03 AM, Pilotman said:

Freezing doesn't stop food from eventually going off, it just slows it down, something a lot of people forget.  Food left in a freezer too long will inevitably deteriorate. I have a minimal amount kept in mine and nothing over 6 months old.  

I believe you may be mistaken in your assumption.

For example, to take a more natural example, I recall reading that leftovers left by some guy named Borchgrevink, who failed to eat all his provisions by the time he left Antarctica, were still perfectly edible and probably tasty, too, the last time anyone checked.

Just as the OP, I usually buy about 60 to 80 meals from my favorite Thai eatery and the owner packs them in plastic bags with a rubber band to seal it.

I think that I am the only one of her customers that does this.

She has big pots of food for students, sort of cafeteria style, and normally the students will eat just one helping per students.

But I don't order this way.

When I visit the restaurant, I say, "I'll take a pot of this, and a pot of that, and a pot of the chicken with curry and dried chili peppers".  Each pot holds about 20 bags-worth of food.  And, it is heavy by the time I am loaded up.  Then I walk back to my abode and stuff my freezer to the point where there is no more room left for ice.

Two months ago, i did a food run to that restaurant and I still have plenty of bags left.

I also bought 40 kilograms of rice that day.

And, in case the power goes off during the lockdown, as another commenter has worried about, I have 150 cans of canned tuna in the closet.

But mostly, I just eat chicken dishes and the eggs which I buy at one go, three boxes of 60 eggs per box.

I can upload a few photos if you don't trust me.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn
  • Sad 1

On 4/18/2020 at 2:19 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Have you ever considered what is in the items you are purchasing, I mean most frozen items are loaded with sugar, salt and other harmful stuff that clog your arteries if eaten over a prolonged period of time and you could end up with a heart attack or a stroke.

The above said, not to mention the fat content which would add to your weight and send you into the direction of becoming a pre-diabetic or diabetic if your not already one, depending on your age and weight.

I am talking through experience, and will give you this advice, whether you take it or not, eat clean, avoid the stuff your eating, switch to eggs, tuna, whole grain pastas, basmati rice, oatmeal, do a bit of research on the web, lots of video's, your body is your temple and you are poisoning it.

Because it tastes good, doesn't mean it is good, don't get me wrong, I love foods that taste nice, but also know they are bad for you if they are from the frozen section, suffice to say, clean food can taste nice too, know what goes into your mouth and your body, because you will only have yourself to blame in years to come when you end up with one of the above diseases which spreads far and wide in the world because we have slowly been poisoned.

Oh and don't forget to exercise because you need to get that blood flowing through those arteries, I know, I know, boring, but it's either a healthier longer life or a shorter one with many problems along the way.

Make the change for your "life", it's the only one you got, and you want to get as many years out of it.

I did not see where the OP said he was buying frozen food. I believe he said he was stocking up his freezer like he always has for the last 10 years. I think its a little judgemental to assume they were stire bought frozen meals   I buy fresh foods and meats. Prepare meals a week at a time and freeze them. Thaw them and eat as needed. if I am not eating fresh  and good already well then thats my fault. The food police need to stop. I beat my diabetes and major medical issues doing it my way. Thanks for understanding we all live our own lives.  

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I did not see where the OP said he was buying frozen food. I believe he said he was stocking up his freezer like he always has for the last 10 years. I think its a little judgemental to assume they were stire bought frozen meals   I buy fresh foods and meats. Prepare meals a week at a time and freeze them. Thaw them and eat as needed. if I am not eating fresh  and good already well then thats my fault. The food police need to stop. I beat my diabetes and major medical issues doing it my way. Thanks for understanding we all live our own lives.  

Judgement ?

Food police ?

Lighten up ThailandRyan, I think the air so high up in your penthouse might be making your vision a little blury ????

Copy/pasted below, e.g. where the OP said he was buying frozen food.

By the way, my reply to the poster was some good advice, not being a food policeman or being judgemental, and good for you for beating your diabetes and your major medical issues, just so you know, sugar "the drug of the century" which has slowly being poisoning us since the 50's is in just about everything, where do you think diabetes comes from, hence the reason we all need to know what is in the food we are eating, most don't and most don't care, until you bring it to their attention.

Change is difficult for most, I mean who wants to eat stuff without heroin in it, I mean "sugar", it takes so much better right.....hooked, not me, 5 decades later, so why not pass on my knowledge, I am not an enforcer, I am not judgemental, just giving some advice, that's all, and if that has got you off on the wrong foot, something ain't right at the time you responded.

I stocked up on meatloaf, beef stew, chicken pies, english muffins, cherry pies and apple pies.  Got the whole pies sliced and individually wrapped.  All I needed to do for any of this was to heat it in the microwave.  Lately, I've added chocolate cake to my list. 

Just to clarify; With the exception of the chocolate cake, which is freshly baked after I order it, everything else is frozen in portions when I pick it up.  My orders usually last me about two months and none of these items have ever gone bad before I used them.

One of the advantages of ordering ahead of time is that they're accommodating to special requests like cutting my apple pies into smaller pieces and skipping the raising, etc.

And I didn't mention that the chocolate cake is almost identical to the taste of the Ice Cream Cake Roll that I used to get in the States.  A little vanilla ice cream on it and I can't tell the difference.  So when I get the cake, I'll cut it into small pieces just enough for single servings and freeze them in small ziplock bags.  They keep just fine.

42 minutes ago, PhotoJohn said:

Just to clarify; With the exception of the chocolate cake, which is freshly baked after I order it, everything else is frozen in portions when I pick it up.  My orders usually last me about two months and none of these items have ever gone bad before I used them.

One of the advantages of ordering ahead of time is that they're accommodating to special requests like cutting my apple pies into smaller pieces and skipping the raising, etc.

And I didn't mention that the chocolate cake is almost identical to the taste of the Ice Cream Cake Roll that I used to get in the States.  A little vanilla ice cream on it and I can't tell the difference.  So when I get the cake, I'll cut it into small pieces just enough for single servings and freeze them in small ziplock bags.  They keep just fine.

Chocolate cake was discussed by Mr 4MyEgo and you have picked it up like it was you.  Did you just slip and use your other identity?

• Confused 1